New foods exposed to since MFP

Options
ultrafishboy
ultrafishboy Posts: 63 Member
This morning I had my first Kale in my breakfast smoothie. (I think I could eat just about anything in a smoothie.) Never even heard of Kale before MFP. Just one of my many new foods being exposed to. Of course, it made my smoothie green, but how it looks doesn't matter to me. For the benefits, I'd recommend.

What other new foods have you been exposed to since beginning MFP? What are you thinking about trying?
Next up for me, quinoa. And, I'm even thinking about Tofu. Really? Yep. Never thought I'd be eating turkey anything also (bacon, sausage). Me eating healthy? That's strange.

Replies

• ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the kale and tofu with thyroid issues. Kale is fine if cooked but raw kale is a goitrigen because it's a cruciferus vegetable. And people with thyroid issues should also avoid soy as its a endocrine disrupted. Occasional consumption should've okay but definitely would want to keep it to a minimum :)
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    As far as your question goes, I'm typically the one who introduces new foods to others! Lol
    If you like the kale I'd recommend Swiss chard, especially rainbow :) it's not a cruciferous vegetable and tastes delicious. Almost like spinach but sweeter.
    To prepare rainbow chard, remove stalks and dice like celery, cut leaves into strips. Cook stalks first in a little coconut oil until tender and then add greens, cooking just until wilted. Yummy!
  • ultrafishboy
    ultrafishboy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank for the heads-up on the kale and tofu. Knew I didn't want to eat those. I know, in moderation I'd be ok though.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My new love is roasted red pepper humus!!:love: Love, love, love! I'm going to try the "Cauliflower fried rice " - hopefully that will be a winner. :wink: