cal counting?

Options
kammyrios
kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
Hello. I am so confused. I have been told that you do not have to count cals on Keto, and then I have been told that you must count cals on Keto. What do you all do? BTW. I am rarely if ever hungry, and just eat to satiety. Putting in MFP somedays I am under cals and a very few I am over. Over days usually because of extra fat cals... Thanks!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You've answered your own question. You are not counting your calories. You're still eating at a deficit. Calories still matter... but you're not needed to track them or pay major attention to them because your body is telling you when enough is enough.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You're better off tracking them. The reason people say you can get by without tracking them is because you'll likely feel very satiated on a LC diet and will naturally eat less as a result. On the other hand, I find I could undereat pretty easily on a LC diet if I only went by my feelings of hunger and didn't watch my calories. If you're already keeping a food log to track your carb and protein intake, you honestly should just watch your calories as well because there's no additional work involved.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    You should listen to your body and eat food when you are hungry and stop when you are not. I don't have a fixed set of calories I eat per day. If I am hungry I eat more, but it doesn't mean I eat unlimited food. Now if you eat ton of carbs, you might start eating more and binge or snack, which is not a good combo. That being said, eating fat and moderate protein should fill you up as long as you keep your carbs low. I track everything I eat and my cal target is set way higher than what MFP recommends but I don't really care if I am below or over that number. Also my RMR is about 600-700 cals compared to a low fat diet because of the difference in energy expenditure.
  • kammyrios
    kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I guess I finally get it! I also wonder if I can just stay in Keto the rest of my life? I have no desire to ever change how I am eating now.... Is that healthy?
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I sure hope that it is safe because that is my plan. I've read blogs and articles by folks who have stayed in Nutritional Ketogenesis (what we are doing) for years with no ill effects. Good luck! :)
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm in month #40 of a ketogenic diet now, and I still count calories. Mostly to see how all-over-the-map they can be, and to ensure I'm eating enough during my bulking phase - when I'm trying to build muscle.

As has been mentioned, the idea you don't have to count calories is theoretically valid, *IF* you can truly eat only when hungry and eat only until satisfied. (Not "FULL", but satisfied.)

Those who have a tendency to overeat - for whatever reason (be it physical, emotional/psychological, etc.) may NEED to watch their calories more-closely than others - because regardless of what type of diet you're on - eating more than you need results in weight-gain.

And I echo what Leonidas said - my RMR has also increased significantly.