New to Diabetes, anyone? HELP!

Options
kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
I was diagnosed a week ago, last Friday. Feel like I am lost, just putting around trying to figure out what I can' and can't eat. I know the basics, of healthy eating, but I need some guidelines. Plus, doesn't it just make you just plain angry? So much is involved in this, even things like sunbathing, which I love to do, supposedly, I'm not supposed to due to sun sensitvity due to medication. I have a sunburn right now. Does this have to change your whole life??

Replies

• GlucernaBrand
    Options
    A new diagnosis of diabetes is really difficult and it takes a few weeks to really wrap your head around what it all means. Many people with diabetes tell me that being diagnosed improved their overall health, and they actually feel better now because they're eating healthier and exercising regularly. Get as much information as you can: ask your doctor for a referral to a diabetes education program and check out the information at www.diabetes.org The more you learn and the more knowledge about diabetes you have, the better you can live the life you want. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed 4 months ago and went through what you are describing. It is a lot to take in and digest (pun intended)

I echo what Lynn said. Take a diabetes education class. The Doctor is important, but he can only spend a few minutes with you. The diabetes educators can spend hours and I found it extremely helpful. You will find there is a ton of information on the web; some of it conflicts with each other. Your educators will help you sort out what is correct; and how it applies to YOU personally.

Logging your food here is a huge help. Your doctor will probably tell you how many carbs per meal you should target; and MFP makes that so easy to track.

There is no getting around the fact that it is a huge life change. But I have found that since I was diagnosed, I am much healthier and feel much better. Diabetes is a disease where you have to take control of your own treatment. The doctor cant be at your side 24x7 telling what to eat or not eat. You have to take that control. The good news is; you can do that and you can feel much better.

Sign up for an education class as soon as you can. And ask Lots of questions.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks, that is just what I am going to do. :) I'm also havng some trouble with fatigue, is that part of it?
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that is just what I am going to do. :) I'm also havng some trouble with fatigue, is that part of it?

Absolutely. Before I was diagnosed, I would fall asleep if I sat still more than 10 minutes. I was almost always tired, living off caffeine to stay alert. You will learn in the classes how Low and High BS can cause fatigue and how to recognize it.

Since I have gotten my BS to a normal range; I have a lot more energy, (without caffeine) and I am loosing weight!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    A Type 2 diagnosis is not something anyone wants to hear. It ran through many emotions. Initially I got things under control, and I've fallen off the wagon a time or two and let my sugars get back out of control. I good diabetes educator and support team is essential to understanding this disease.

I feel much more energetic when my blood sugars are consistently in the normal range. One of the hard things about this disease is that it effects everyone differently. Foods or carb levels that are OK for one person might be too much for someone else. You need to learn about your body and what works for you. It is a slow and sometimes tedious process but well worth the effort.

One of the good and bad things is that you have a lot of control over your blood sugars. With diet, exercise and perhaps some medication you can get your sugars in the normal range and live a totally normal life. However that also means you have to be vigilant. If you slip back into old habits of food or not exercising, your sugars can rise again.

I don't know about you, but I have done the same thing with weight my entire life. Lost weight, slid back into old habits, and then gained it back. One of the things about MFP is that it is a tool that is helping me to make changes that I can live with for the rest of my life. I am building habits that will last once I reach my goal weight. I will be vigilant about both my weight and my glucose levels so that I don't let either get out of control again.

Welcome to the club and good luck on your journey.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Kama...

when I was first diagnosed almost 2 years ago, I was in denial for at least six months... during which I went through a myriad of emotions including anger, sadness, back to anger lol... and probably looking back a little depression too... and overwhelmed.. omg.. my doctor is fabulous but as someone else said, they aren't the best resource for learning about the disease. Mine made me go to a diabetes class; in some ways it was excellent; mostly because it scared me "straight" if you will - I learned what the disease does to you, and they used visual aids to explain how the high blood sugars left in your blood course through your body and attack your organs.... it was absolutely the thing that made me start taking my meds to protect myself, and to change my lifestyle to start moving and learning how to eat right. The down side of the class was the food charts .. confused the heck out of me and as a result I wasted a few months checking the nutrition labels on everything for the sugar content - and never once looked at the carbs because altho they said to watch carbs, EVERYTHING has carbs. even veggies?? so I was totally confused and just looked at the sugar levels... oatmeal seemed like an awesome healthy breakfast for me... no sugar and whole grains?? what's not healthy?? But in my case (and everyone does differ with this) my blood sugar would spike like crazy...and I had no idea why. so I started doing research on my own and fortunately found MFP and several groups (like this one) wth resources and people who were able to help me figure it out..

It didn't happen overnight....by any stretch... fifty years of bad habits are not easy to break... but I had to (and still do) think of it of saving my life.. small changes lead to big results; I started walking every day; only 15 min to start then up to at least an hour a day.. I walk outside as often as possible because a treadmill to me is the most boring thing in the world lol... but I love being outside. And I have learned I have to do something I enjoy or I won't stick with it. And I learned about carbohydrates.... far more important in my opinion and from what I have learned, than the sugar content in something! Learn to read nutrition labels, and read all you can on the difference between simple carbs and complex carbs - and how blood sugars are affected by what you eat.. and be kind to yourself..... it's going to take a little time to adjust and accept that you have diabetes and allow yourself to feel whatever you feel - but don't put off taking the meds and starting to make changes... and don't be afraid to ask for help... we're all in the same boat and at various stages of learning how and what we can do to get healthy and fit and enjoy our lives, and you've taken the most important step by coming here... :o)

Take a look at the sticky notes on the group page - there are some awesome resources (the best one I got off it when I first started was the bloodsugar101... )

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1198398-helpful-online-diabetic-resources
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks, I found some online classes I am checking in to. And You all are an invaluable help. So glad to find out my fatigue is somethng, and not just me being lazy. Last nite was soooo tired, bone achy tired. I was supposed to go to the gym, but something inside said to go home and rest. So I did, and I feel amazing today, and blood sugar was better. I sure hope this improves! I am going to get educated, I want to feel good.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I'm glad you're feeling more confident about managing diabetes. Keep asking questions! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Kama,

I was officially diagnosed three months ago. I had gestational diabetes, but I was in denial about developing full blown diabetes. I wish I had taken better care of my body...My adoptive dad died from diabetes related heart disease at 60. As soon as they told me I had diabetes, I changed my diet and started exercising immediately. It is shocking to get this diagnosis, but it is not the end of the world either. I feel much healthier now that I know that I am diabetic than I did when I didn't know. I am hoping to improve my health and preserve my body to live a long life. Lots of people control their diabetes through exercise and healthy eating (and perhaps some medication still).

I know we can all do it!

Kerri
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks Lyn and Kerri, I am slowly feeling better about it, and the knowledge is helping immensely!