Breakfast ideas

Options
Guineagirl913
Guineagirl913 Posts: 77 Member
Anyone have any suggestions for breakfast? I am not really an egg person and am having a hard time getting enough protein in. I'm trying to stay away from cheese because of all the fat so I'm really at a loss. Hoping to get some ideas.

Replies

• GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I really like plain Greek yogurt with my own fruit added. Peanut butter and almond butter are good protein sources, and sometimes I eat dinner leftovers for breakfast just to mix things up. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have half an ounce of almonds every morning, I usually add a couple of cuties tangerines and a small banana but that may be to many carbs for a lot of people.

I have been able with diet and exercise to get my sugars to stay down. They peak a half hour after eating then fall back to a normal range within 15 or twenty minutes.

I know it seems sort of reckless but three months ago I would have had two or three (or more) donuts for breakfast. I have a hard time reconciling that three small pieces of fruit are going to kill me.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    One thing I do at lunch to get more protein in is to have 3/4 c plain yogurt with a scoop of protein powder. You could easily incorporate that for breakfast.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'll often have greek yogurt with some fruit with some chia seeds mixed in. Or eggs, I love eggs.
    I'm trying to stay away from cheese because of all the fat so I'm really at a loss.
    Don't buy into the notion that fat makes you fat. Fat isn't a bad thing as long as you don't exceed your calorie goals for the day. You can't lower both carbs and fats. As a diabetic it's far more important to keep your carbs at a manageable level. Some diabetics control their blood glucose level by utilizing a low carb high fat diet.

High protein foods:

Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Tuna
    Almonds
    Eggs
    Chicken
    Beans
    Pork
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with fruit and a few nuts or granola mixed in. Oatmeal with yogurt. There are low fat cheeses out there that don't taste different than the full fat so you can still have cheese. I make a muesli of 2 cups oatmeal with 1 cup milk. Place in the refrigerator over night. I usually add a tablespoon or two of cinnamon and/or honey along with about 1/4 cup nuts (usually walnuts or pecans but sometimes almonds). This is enough for 5 breakfasts. I add a cup of Greek yogurt to my portion in the morning and I'm set for the day. Breakfast is fast and easy and if I have to take it with me it's easy to do as well. You can add other fresh fruits to your portion in the morning or change up the basic mixture how you like. I have also found some overnight recipes online for steele cut oats with fruit. These recipes also make several servings so you can make ahead and just heat and eat.
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions for breakfast? I am not really an egg person and am having a hard time getting enough protein in. I'm trying to stay away from cheese because of all the fat so I'm really at a loss. Hoping to get some ideas.

I buy banquet turkey sausage links 10 to a box for like $1.15. Two sausages is 67 calories, 1.3 carbs, 5.3 protein, and 253.3 sodium. They taste yummy and even my picky teenage daughter likes them. They are in the frozen breakfast section or with the frozen banquet products. The box ix yellow and red.
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love South Beach caramel chocolate nut bars(100 calories) and like 12g of carbs. I also eat 100 calories of almonds with it.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Most mornings I have a variation of the following:

227g (1 c) non-fat plain Greek yogurt
    2TBS DaVinci sugar-free flavored syrup - flavor varies
    1 scoop flavored protein powder (usually vanilla, but sometimes chocolate)
    15g Original Fiber One cereal
    50g-60g of fruit (usually blueberries or strawberries)

For less than 300 calories I get about 44g of protein (depends on protein powder used), 36g carbs and about 8g of fiber.

Keeps me full until lunch.