Garmin Swim Watch

Options
Ms_J1
Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
Does anyone have a Garmin Swim Watch? I just got one and I haven't any problems with it counting my laps. My only issue is that it doesn't seem to recognize my butterfly stroke 4 out of 7 times. It think I'm doing freestyle.

Does anyone who has this watch know what motions the watch looks at to determine what stroke you are doing? If not, I'll take speculations. I need to correct whatever it is I'm doing wrong.

Replies

• sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Well, the arm motion you make for the butterfly is much alike to the freestyle.

Doesn't it tell in the manual? Have you contacted the manufacturer yet?
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

No, the manual just describes the functions and how to replace the battery. It doesn't have a troubleshooting section.

It is a really neat watch though. And today was better in getting it to recognize my butterfly. I modified my stroke by not raising my arms so high which now that I think about it, makes sense. When doing fly, you breathe facing forward, not to the side and back like in freestyle, so there's no reason for the arms to be high up over the water more than is needed. I learn something new every time i do fly.
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options

No, the manual just describes the functions and how to replace the battery. It doesn't have a troubleshooting section.

It is a really neat watch though. And today was better in getting it to recognize my butterfly. I modified my stroke by not raising my arms so high which now that I think about it, makes sense. When doing fly, you breathe facing forward, not to the side and back like in freestyle, so there's no reason for the arms to be high up over the water more than is needed. I learn something new every time i do fly.

For the butterfly and freestyle there never is a reason for the arms to be high up over the water..during freestyle your fingertips should be nearly touching the water when you move them forward.

Other than that, I must advise against changing your technique for the sake of a watch that doesn't catch your strokes properly. You should only change your technique to improve it.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Apparently Pebble have come out with the world's first swimming smartwatch, for all of yáll at the cutting edge of technology!!

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/swim-com-partners-with-pebble-for-swimmings-first-smartwatch/
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    great link.thanks.
    now i have upgraded to a big boy 25 m pool,can finally search out a swimming aid to help me.
    any current user recommends please?
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning the pebble, I have been trying to decide between the poolmate and the garmin. It's good to have a third option to look at. I bought a poolmate but it arrived with a dead battery so I returned it, I was going to look around before buying another. Sorry I'm of no help to the original poster, I just peeked in to see if anyone had some thoughts on the garmin.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't have one but from other members in here, it seems the garmin is the way to go for a dedicated swim watch! More analysis available from it then the pebble, etc.
    But I leave it to those who own one to comment, eg MS_J1