Freestyle Sprint Time

Options
Ms_J1
Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
Is 50 seconds a good time for a 50 meter freestyle sprint for someone 5'0", 165 lbs, and who, up until now, has mostly lived a sedentary lifestyle?

Replies

• sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    At 50 seconds on 50m freestyle I'd say you could easily shave off some seconds just by improving your technique! Go for it. :)
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    Well, best time so far is 46 seconds. I think it's my kick that's slowing me down. The other day, I did a 25 yd freestyle sprint and then later did a 25 yd freestyle sprint with a pull buoy and both times were the same. I know I don't have a drag issue - my buoyancy is perfect, that I know. I guess I'll just go back to the basics of remembering to kick from the hips and do a lot of kick sprints.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think that doing laps, in general, is a good thing and it sounds like you're not ***** footing around in the pool. I swim about 56 seconds in a 25 meter pool, so you outpace me, bigtime.

My butterfly is faster, but unsustainable past one length at this point.
  • Ms_J1
    Options

The other day, someone was telling me that the reason the butterfly is so tiring is because it uses the least number of muscles compared to the other strokes. - that it mostly uses your core muscles and shoulders so those muscles take on the majority of the pull.

I'm like you though. I'm dead after doing the fly and I can't do it for long.
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options

The other day, someone was telling me that the reason the butterfly is so tiring is because it uses the least number of muscles compared to the other strokes. - that it mostly uses your core muscles and shoulders so those muscles take on the majority of the pull.

You should be using your whole body for the butterfly.. If you're not doing the butterfly correctly it is indeed very tiring. It's all about rhythm. You should also breath as close to the water as possible, maybe to the side if you like (I do that). Try skip breathing at some strokes, you'll notice the stroke is easier if that way since you don't have to move your head up above the water.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options

Ideally, try to get 2 strokes per breath. As sanderdejonge pointed out, breathe as close to the water surface as you can. Both above & below the water you want to stay as close to the surface as you can - this helps keep all your momentum go forward instead of up & down. Too many people come way up out of the water, so much so that they look like a cobra coming up out of a snake charmer's basket. If you come up really high, you will end up going just as deep & now all your energy is spent going up down instead of driving forward......
    You should be using your whole body for the butterfly.. If you're not doing the butterfly correctly it is indeed very tiring. It's all about rhythm. You should also breath as close to the water as possible, maybe to the side if you like (I do that). Try skip breathing at some strokes, you'll notice the stroke is easier if that way since you don't have to move your head up above the water.