setting realistic goals

Options
Ive just started my weight loss journey and I dont have an exact date I want to reach my goal by, but I do want to set small goals for myself. I'm 5' 6" and 145 pounds, is it realistic to lose 3 pounds a week? I've heard 1-2 pounds is a good number but I wonder if other women have had success at faster rates than this. I know plenty of men who lost 5-7 pounds a week..

Please share your success stories of experiencing faster than the 1-2 pounds that everyone says is realistic.

Thanks!

Replies

• telepneff
    telepneff Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    How much do you want to lose?

I'm not expert, I'm only summarizing my understanding from other posts but I think the less weight you want to lose the slower you should do it, like 0.5-1 lb per week. That way it is easier to maintain once it's off. There's less change to your diet so easier to stick to as well.
  • teresand77
    teresand77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Since you aren't that big to begin with I think what telepneff said is right on. The guys you're talking about are probably much bigger initially and have more to lose. To me, that is one of the the worst things about being smaller in stature and not having very much to lose. It takes longer and you have to be more patient! :)
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and I'm 144 lbs right now and I'm set to lose 1 lb a week giving me 1660 cals a day but I've stared using dumbells and last week I lost 2 lbs, my next goal is to get to 140 lbs but slow and steady seems the best way, every lb lost now I'm noticing on my body, I'm still not sure where I'm going to end up yet.
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've just joined. I'd like to lose about 8-10 pounds. I weigh 130 and am 4'11". I'm down from 210, 3 years ago.
    What do you think?