Do calories count?

Options
Hi

I have been looking more at low carb eating as I think carbs are just not any good for me

So I was looking at reducing my carbs to under 20/30g and I have down this in the past and never counted calories and lost a good amount of weight but since being on here I have been monitoring my intake and tried one day last week low carb and I ate 2000 calories and I was starving - drank plenty water but I was just very hungry

Any Advice would be great

Replies

• kammyrios
    kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What has helped me the most is increasing fat. Try to eat high fat, moderate protein, and low carbs, as percentages of your daily calories. Fat is what really keeps you feeling full. I do track my calories, as at the end of the day, it is what counts. Good luck.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    While you are becoming keto adapted, many people don't track calories. You can if you want.

Do calories count? Yeah. In the end, they do. But, don't stress about them. Let your body adapt and learn to listen to it.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fixed calorie limit, I eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. Now, it doesn't mean I eat unlimited quantities of food. Just listen to your body.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fixed calorie limit, I eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. Now, it doesn't mean I eat unlimited quantities of food. Just listen to your body. I just looked at you diary, 230 g of carbs is not low carb.
  • gottobethin2014
    Options
    I know it's not low carb but I tried it for one day last week and was constantly hungry and never satisfied at all
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You tried it for ONE day? Honestly?

Try it for a couple weeks, at least. And, don't stress about calories at the start (especially for the first 3-5 days). Your body takes some time to adjust and you're not going to overeat over 5 days by any significant amount that would cause long term reversal to your weight loss goals.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You tried it for ONE day? Honestly?

Try it for a couple weeks, at least. And, don't stress about calories at the start (especially for the first 3-5 days). Your body takes some time to adjust and you're not going to overeat over 5 days by any significant amount that would cause long term reversal to your weight loss goals.

I second this. Nothing works if you only give it one day, much less a low-carb lifestyle.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    For only trying it for one day, those hunger pains were likely your body screaming for carbs. If you are going to do low carb eating, you need to stick with it for 2-3 weeks to detox before you feel better and your body starts to adjust. Calories do count while on low carb. However, studies show a metabolism boost on low carb compared to other diets, so most can eat more food and still lose weight.
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree about giving it more time. My doctor has me on a low carb / high protein diet. I am only on day four and still feeling pretty hungry a lot. She says to just be sure to keep the carbs low and eat when I am hungry (healthy of course). It's tough thats for sure, but I know it will get easier.