Optifast before surgery

Options
Hi everyone,

Picked up my Optifast to use for a week and a half before surgery! Has anyone else had to do this? Curious how to get through it!!

Thanks,
Patty

Replies

• vsg_joanna
    vsg_joanna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Patty, I didn't use opti-fast, but I greatly questioned my ability to stick to my pre-op diet, especially the required three days of clear liquids before! I did get through it and you will too! Stay strong!
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have to do two weeks of a liquid only at 900 kcal/day. Basically, that's about 3-4 protein drinks a day (optifast being one of the options). I'm worried about sticking with that. I have a three month supervised diet first and I am hoping that if I lose weight during that, that I can do the Level 1 Pre-Op Diet instead, which is just low carb and low fat.
  • Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I didn't use the optifast but had 2 weeks liquid diet prior to surgery. First 3 days are the roughest, then it calms down, cravings go away, and I just kept myself busy and away from food. Did see a 15lb weight loss in those 2 weeks :) My surgeon also included SF jello in "liquid" diet, that helped a lot
  • plmelquist
    Options
    Mine is Opti-fast only but can choose bars, shakes or soup. Then for the first week after surgery it'll be soup and shakes only. Day 2 was today and it wasn't bad. Weekend might be a little different story.

Thanks for the feed back!!
  • judgejess
    judgejess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes! Used the Optifast and it was great. Note: It's definitely a pre-surgery food. After surgery, it doesn't have enough protein per serving and has too many carbs. Here's the plan that worked best for me:
    - 3-4 optifasts a day (the ones that come in juice-box containers)
    - dinner: grilled chicken breast, fat-free refried beans w/ a tiny bit of fat-free shredded cheese, and steamed broccoli
    - at night, i had some tea with some milk in it.
    Also:
    Some days, instead of the Optifast drink, I'd have the Optifast soup.

Also, try to drink a lot of Powerade Zero and Vitamin Water Zero to get you through the pre-op period.

Hope this helps,
    j