Weight Loss Surgery - Daily Conversation 2014

Options
IsMollyReallyHungry
IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,380 Member
So sorry just now posting this...A new member just reminded me. This group is not very active. Usually when WLS patients lose weight they are happy and usually never come here unless they have problems or issues. Hopefully this year will be more activity.

Hello all and welcome to all new members!

Please feel free to use this thread for daily conversations and to get to know one another. Share success, struggles, etc

Have a good day and remember success is never giving up! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• billhilly1968
    billhilly1968 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My doctor set a 120 lbs goal for me. Right now I weigh 123 lbs. on my home dial scale. I am struggling to lose 13 lbs. and need some insight on what I can try. I recently got so desperate that I tried Nutrisystem Fast 5. Needless to say, I did not lose anything. I need to lose these last 13 pounds so I can go into maintainence. I am 5'4. The doctor's scale is digital and weighs me 10 pounds more. So if I lose 13 lbs. I will be at the goal my doctor set for me. What can I do? I am eating only 800 calories a day as directed by my doctor and have already lost 25 lbs. since November 2013. I do not want to go up on my calories yet because it will be harder to lose if I go up too soon.
  • billhilly1968
    Options
    Thinking about increasing calories by 100 for two weeks and then 100 more so I can maybe jumpstart my metabolism. What do you guys think? I have been at 800 calories and lost 25 lbs. since Nov. 2013. But I am stuck at 123 lbs. and not losing anymore. I want to lose 13 more lbs.
  • LovingMySleeve
    Options
    Increasing your calories a little at a time is the best way to go to jumpstart your metabolism. Be sure to monitor your weight closely, so you don't start to gain weight.
  • karenperkins77
    Options
    I am a new member. I had surgery a week and a half ago. I went with the sleeve. I have lost 13 pounds since last Sunday ( my doctor still has me on a liquid diet). This is my first week back at work and I am a bit nervous about my energy level until I can move on to the puréed portion of my diet on Thursday.
  • billhilly1968
    Options
    Welcome. Nice to chat with both of you. Maybe we can get this site going.
  • billhilly1968
    Options
    Thanks for your responses.
  • billhilly1968
    Options
    I sent you both friendship requests and hope we can awaken this site.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I had my gastric bypass 4 years ago. Experienced numerous problems as it kept closing and they'd do an endoscopy to push it open again. Then they punctured it and I ended up with a feeding tube in my side. Surgery was redone successfully about 5 months later. I ended up losing my job as I spent a total of 9 weeks in the hospital in one year plus out of work for almost 6 months.

I got all the way done to 144 lbs and swore I would never put the weight back on. Met a man. Fell in love. Gained back 72 pounds. Ish! So now I'm back on MFP and back on low carb and the weight is coming off.

For me carbs are the enemy and it's the only thing that works. And exercise. Lots and lots of exercise!
  • karenperkins77
    Options
    Wow. What a story. I am glad everything is going well now. I am glad to "meet" a few people that know what I am going through.
  • LovingMySleeve
    Options
    karenperkins7, sent you a friend request.

fancysara, thank you for the friend request.

rachemn, sent you a friend request. I am sorry you had to go through so much, but very happy to hear that things are going well now.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had my gastric bypass 4 years ago. Experienced numerous problems as it kept closing and they'd do an endoscopy to push it open again. Then they punctured it and I ended up with a feeding tube in my side. Surgery was redone successfully about 5 months later. I ended up losing my job as I spent a total of 9 weeks in the hospital in one year plus out of work for almost 6 months.

I got all the way done to 144 lbs and swore I would never put the weight back on. Met a man. Fell in love. Gained back 72 pounds. Ish! So now I'm back on MFP and back on low carb and the weight is coming off.

For me carbs are the enemy and it's the only thing that works. And exercise. Lots and lots of exercise!

Easy to regain! Good job catching yourself at just 72 pounds. Go back to basics, high protein, low calories/fat/carbs and always consume the protein first. I have the sleeve, so my needs are different from yours as to amounts, but you do know what to do, even if it is hard to start again. Good luck girl! Just know there are a lot of us out here who know you can do it!
  • LadyG0915
    LadyG0915 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all. If you aren't familiar with me:

I am 30, I have 2 children and am currently pregnant with #3. I had the sleeve March 19, 2012 and I was 20 lbs from my goal when I found out I was preg. My mind is having a VERY hard time gaining weight and my body is finding it quite easy to do so. I fear that every gain is going to stay with me. I have tried to stay as close to my new normal diet as possible and I found that I was very sluggish and even faint with low carbs. I continued to work out as much as possible when i wasn't ill or deathly tired. I am having a c-section on June 13th and I plan on getting my walk on ASAP when I walk out of the hospital. It will be summer and I am not going to miss an opportunity to enjoy it!!
  • billhilly1968
    Options
    Congratulations on your baby!
  • rachemn
    Options

Easy to regain! Good job catching yourself at just 72 pounds. Go back to basics, high protein, low calories/fat/carbs and always consume the protein first. I have the sleeve, so my needs are different from yours as to amounts, but you do know what to do, even if it is hard to start again. Good luck girl! Just know there are a lot of us out here who know you can do it!

Thank you. I was very disappointed in myself for regaining, but at least I'm still 100+ down from where I was before the surgery and I know I can get there again. Lot's of solid protiens and low carbs and I'm exercising 30-90 minutes a day with no more excuses! Even though we got a foot of snow yesterday, summer is right around the corner and I have lots of cute clothes that I want to look good in!
  • rachemn
    Options
    Good afternoon all. If you aren't familiar with me:

I am 30, I have 2 children and am currently pregnant with #3. I had the sleeve March 19, 2012 and I was 20 lbs from my goal when I found out I was preg. My mind is having a VERY hard time gaining weight and my body is finding it quite easy to do so. I fear that every gain is going to stay with me. I have tried to stay as close to my new normal diet as possible and I found that I was very sluggish and even faint with low carbs. I continued to work out as much as possible when i wasn't ill or deathly tired. I am having a c-section on June 13th and I plan on getting my walk on ASAP when I walk out of the hospital. It will be summer and I am not going to miss an opportunity to enjoy it!!

Congratulations! June will be here before you know it. Not everyone can or should do low carb. Everyone's body is different and you have to find what works for you.

Even before my surgery on my two week fast that consisted of one scoop protein powder and 6 packets sugar free carnation instant breakfast with whole milk, I only managed to lose 10 pounds. My surgeon believed I cheated, which I didn't, but now I know it was all the carbs!
  • LetrellC
    LetrellC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am new to this group and just wanted tocheck in and say.... HI!
  • billhilly1968
    Options
    Hello!
  • LetrellC
    LetrellC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    LOL. Hello, Sara.

I am on my kindle and I hate typing on it so I was too lazy last night to post my story. I'll be more detailed later. I did post in the introduction board if anyone wants to read my story and why I am on this site.

Thank you for the welcome.
  • timbrelyn
    Options
    Hi ! I'm new here on MFP. I had WLS 21 yrs ago, mine was a vertical banded gastroplasty. Presurgery I was 320, lost about 100, had no pre-op counseling, no guidance other than take a multi-vitamin daily and over the next 5 yrs regained 40 + lbs? my eating habits worsened post surgery because I had such difficulty digesting meats! fruits and vegetables. I haven't been meeting my protein needs. I've lost about 10 lbs in the past month doing Atkins induction to get more protein and now I want to continue to eat at least 60 grams of protein a day while backing off the fats and slowly raising good complex carb intake. Has anyone tried doing this before?
  • saeverman
    saeverman Posts: 88
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am 11 years post op RNY. I have had nothing but complications from surgery. I've had a total of 13 surgeries, all as a result of RNY. I maybe unhealthier now than at my heaviest weight, but I am alive and I can't say for sure I would be the way I was headed! Feel free to ask me about any of my complications. I still suffer with them to this day. I reached my goal weight and then was put on heavy duty steroids and gained half of the weight back. I have been able to lose some of the regain, but not all. I am trying to get the last 40 pounds off. I am a full time nursing student. My classes start back up next week and then I plan on graduating in May 2015. I have a commute every day to school of three hours, so this limits my exercise time to the weekends.

My problem is that I hate to eat. I would rather drink all day long. When I do eat, I eat three or four ounces and I am done. It doesn't matter what the food is. I am going to go back to protein shakes. Even though I am a vet, I could use ideas for lunch. Last semester I took tuna salad kits and a fruit cup every day for lunch, I'm tired of these! I don't have access to a fridge at school, so that makes things a little harder.

Stephanie