5K Progress

Options
RiverCameron
RiverCameron Posts: 56 Member
I'm about to start week 2 of Zombies, Run! 5K. I made the mistake of looking ahead and I'm nervous that some of the upcoming weeks will be too difficult, but I'm going to try to keep my focus on the step I'm on and do the best with that.

There is another teacher at my school who is an avid runner and she said that if I finish it she'll do a 5K with me. There is one scheduled locally right at the end of the 8 weeks. It's not one of the "cool" ones like Color Run but I think my first REAL 5K will be cool enough.

Replies

• asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You will be ready. You will be amazed @ what your body can do. The program is truly awesome & will have you running distances you never thought possible.

Sign up for the 5k, it will keep you motivated on the weeks and/or days you want to quit. My first 5k was Dirty Girl Mud Run, it was so freakin awesome, but if I had not signed up for it & told everyone in the world I was going to do it I may not have finished the c25k training. I’m a person of my word, so I couldn’t not do the 5k & quit the training. I have a friend on here that signed up for a half for her first run & I also thought of her often when I wanted to quit, I was like she is going balls to the wall, why can’t you & I would push myself to meet those weeks that looks scary head-on.

You can do this & will, there are no if’s and or buts Abel needs you out there Runner 5. Go for it!
  • RiverCameron
    Options
    Thanks :-) I think having the co-worker ready to sign up with me will really help on days I feel like stopping. I really wish she and I were better friends, and her doing this with me I think will help with that. She is a runner but she rarely does 5Ks, she does marathons and iron man competitions, so it's very nice of her to agree to do this with me and I don't want to let her, or me, down.

And darn it, I want to get to the point I can run the actual Zombies, Run! episodes, and the only way that will happen is to get to where i can run longer distances! Otherwise the zoms will get me for sure!
  • Vaugirard15
    Vaugirard15 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I used to get freaked out, too, when I would look ahead at the next weeks on the 5K training app but then I'd remind myself just to focus on now... whether it be that day, that workout or sometimes even this step. That helped me a lot. Have a great run, Runner 5! You can do it!
  • letmerun
    letmerun Posts: 15
    Options
    I did the 5K last year around the same time. Unfortunately for me, i've slipped so far back. I mean, i even trained for half-marathon during last fall/winter at some point.

Doesn't matter. I'm doing the 5k again. Also, i have a whole season of Walking Dead to catch up on :)
  • RiverCameron
    Options
    I finished Week 2 yesterday. I should be starting the scary week 3 tomorrow. The 5 minute run on both sides of the drills is worrying me, but I'm going to just do the best I can, and who knows, maybe I actually can do it and just don't know it yet!
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I finished Week 2 yesterday. I should be starting the scary week 3 tomorrow. The 5 minute run on both sides of the drills is worrying me, but I'm going to just do the best I can, and who knows, maybe I actually can do it and just don't know it yet!

You can do it girl! If you are out of breath just slow down (yes, even if you think you are already going slow, slow down even more) & you will be able to do it.
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Yes, asp415 is absolutely right! If you're out of breath, you're going too fast. Once it starts, don't think about how long it is *going* to last... just put one foot in front of the other and think about now. And before you know it, you'll have done it!
  • RiverCameron
    Options
    I did the first workout of week 3 yesterday and I did SO much better than I expected! I actually ran the ENTIRE first 5 minute free run! Then I ran all of the drills. Then I ran about 1/2 of each of the two 8-minute free runs at the end. I really surprised myself and can't wait until tomorrow for the second workout of the week! :-)
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Wow! That's great, RiverCameron! Look at you go!