Reasons for this stall?? any ideas??

Options
kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
I could use some advice from the experts please!! I am about 6 weeks in now and initially the weight fell off, lost 12 lbs in the first 2 weeks. Other than a drop of 1.2 lb a couple of days ago, which came right back, I have not lost anything since!

My diet is spot on. I've adjusted my macros a couple of times now and am now at 5% carbs 15% protein & 80% fat & eating about 1500 cals, up from my previous 1200 which i was told could be too low. I'm drinking a lot of water, usually 12 cups a day and I'm not eating in the evenings at all. Yet every morning its the same bloody number staring at me.

I've been testing with a ketone meter & the highest i've gotten is 0.8, ranges are usually closer to 0.6 or so. I keep seeing posts where people get reading of 2 or 3. I don't get it. What am I doing wrong??

I've read a couple of posts where people are cutting out dairy but how do you do this diet without it??? I'd eat nothing but eggs & coconut oil. lol.

Any advice would be gratfully accepted!. My meal plan is open so have a look!

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Any advice would be gratfully accepted!. My meal plan is open so have a look!

Food plan looks good to me. This is an exceptionally helpful and well written thread that you may find useful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/684525-why-the-rapid-weight-loss-on-low-carb-induction-stops

You've lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks. That's an average of 2 pounds per week which is the high end of a healthy average. Let your body catch up w/ the changes, put your scale away for awhile if it's making you crazy, and stay the course. You eat this way because it makes you feel good and you enjoy your food...the weight loss (and it WILL come) is going to be a nice extra benefit. :-)
  • kristafb
    Options
    THank you for the response. I have read & reread that post. It is very helpful. And I'm not looking for massive drops in weight but a pound a week would be nice. Hell I'd be happy with half a pound at this point.

My friend said to me yesterday, why be so strict with your eating if you're not getting results. I told her I feel better, which I do, but I would really like to start seeing more physical results. I'm just frustrated. And a bit of a whiney baby today. lol
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Do you think a 2-3 day fat fast might help? Something temporary ... I've read the Fat Fast book and it's an intriguing idea if done on a temporary basis.
  • KetoCassy
    Options
    Fat fast for a day or two if you're really motivated (keep in mind you might have some flu symptoms after you leave the fat fast and come back to eating carbs again even though it is small - just happened to me).

You might consider whether you are at the .6 to .8 gram of protein per lb of body weight. You do need protein so it can be tricky to find your sweet spot. I would do 75% fat and put 5% back in protein for a week or two and see if you see any changes in how your body feels. OR Keep in mind, the macros aren't always exact and I just had the same issue at 1,500 calories. If you're not working out much, you can probably get by with something less (between 1200 - 1500)...maybe gradually drop by 100 every 2 weeks and see where you see things start to move again.

It's important to only make one significant change at a time and keep track of it so you can look back later and know what caused a change. If you change too much at once, you don't know if it's the combination of changes or that one that you can pinpoint as a major help in your effort.

Definitely don't keep weighing yourself every day, that's just madness! Take your measurements every 2 weeks and don't put too much stock in the weight for a bit (maybe every other week). Also, you are doing good. Stop stressing! It didn't arrive at your doorstep overnight and the weight is not going to leave that way either! I know it's cliche' but it's worth reminding yourself!
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. Someone told me after being in ketosis for five days consecutively to eat a bunch of carbs one day and than go back into ketosis for another five days. I think they call it carb nite. The first week I did it I actually saw results. A bit of bloating but it went down within a day and i lost more weight. Well I did it this past Sunday and my weight went up two pounds on Monday and than another two pounds the next day. So I will not do that again. I'm nervous I just screwed myself. You may want to look up the Carb Nite thing. Some people see results.
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Pick a macro plan and stick with it.

How long did it take you to gain the weight?

Don't expect the loss to be lightning fast.

Keto isn't magic, it's just efficient.

The surest way to mess it up is to just keep changing things around instead of keeping calm and sticking with a plan that's been proven already and has scientific basis.
    I understand your frustration. Someone told me after being in ketosis for five days consecutively to eat a bunch of carbs one day and than go back into ketosis for another five days. I think they call it carb nite. The first week I did it I actually saw results. A bit of bloating but it went down within a day and i lost more weight. Well I did it this past Sunday and my weight went up two pounds on Monday and than another two pounds the next day. So I will not do that again. I'm nervous I just screwed myself. You may want to look up the Carb Nite thing. Some people see results.

I may be wrong, but this doesn't occur to me as a wise plan.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    ^this

There is also something called Post-Induction Stall Syndrome. And it's exactly what has been mentioned. Your body is trying to catch up with the changes. I've been on Keto for about the same length of time as you and have only lost 9 pounds, but feel great and just yesterday my jeans were really feeling different. I rejoiced with some water! ha!

Good luck and stick to your guns!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Scale is not the best way to monitor your progress, take measurements or even better get a BF% test done. I have gained 7 pounds in last 3 weeks but lost more than 5 lbs of fat. My scale says I gained two pounds. Almost 60% or more of human body is water, it will impact your weight if you go by scale.
  • kristafb
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses. Deborah105 that made me feel a lot better. I forget sometimes that this is a slow process. I think dropping a ton of weight in the first 2 weeks ruined me. Now I want to see the scale moving constantly. And you are right! I do feel sooooo much better, physically & mentally, I'm enjoying the food I'm eating & my clothes are fitting better. So perhaps instead of the big victory I should be looking at all the little ones :)

And Skoster1 I have changed my macros 3 times now, in the last 3 weeks, lowing my protein & raising my fat. How long would you stick with the same macros before changing them? Right now I'm at 5% carbs 15% protein & 80 fats. I'm comfortable here, have no trouble getting the fats in but I could see getting bored pretty quick with the food. I may go back to 20 % protein for a bit after next week, I'll give this set of macros 2 weeks to see if they help.

As far as having a carb day, I'd be scared I'd go into full binge mode and undo all the good i've done so far, so I won't be trying that. It may work for some people but I know how carb sensitive I am so its a no no for me. thanks though :)

Ketocassy - I weigh myself daily, always have when I'm on track. the minute I stop I get off track & the weight creeps up again. I know its a bit obsessive compulsive but I'm a numbers girl. I like to see results. lol

Leonidas - I just started doing measurements this week when I realized my pants were getting saggy on my butt :) I know its working physically. Its getting my brain to understand that I'm having difficulty with lol

Again, thank you all for your advice, its more helpful than you know :heart:
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Stalls happen. In my case it was about 3 months and I tried fat fasts, IF, IF+Fat Fast, everything except a carb cheat.

Well, this week I am almost 3kg lighter than my stall range high point and I'm recording new weight lows!

You just need to KCKO. Look at the long term trend, and if it is down, you are doing it right!
  • rauljg42
    rauljg42 Posts: 30
    Options
    I would change macros and increase the protein and decrease the fats. Looks like body may be using the nutritional fats you are consuming as energy and not burning the fat within the body.
  • kristafb
    Options
    You know I was wondering about that myself. I keep thinking if i'm eating 80% fat how is my body going to burn the fat it already has stored. Perhaps I'll try that for a couple of days and see what happens.

I'm also wondering if changing my calories through the week, higher one day, lower the next, might help. I always seem to lose after I've had a higher calorie day but if i eat at that level for a few days I gain.

I'll figure it out eventually. I was just hoping I was one of the lucky people who this comes easy to. :smile:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 80% fat and losing weight just fine, on a much higher intake too. You can eat fat and burn body fat at the same time.

That said, with your intake, I may up the protein a little. But, just a little.

The big thing is to not lower the fat too much.
  • kristafb
    Options
    I'm eating 80% fat and losing weight just fine, on a much higher intake too. You can eat fat and burn body fat at the same time.

That said, with your intake, I may up the protein a little. But, just a little.

The big thing is to not lower the fat too much.

Frob, are you working out a lot? Personally I'm not exercising a lot, I try to walk 30-60 minutes at least 4 or 5 days a week & have started a bit of running (very new to that).

Right now I'm at 5% carbs, 15% protien & 80% fat. I had upped it from 75 % fat & 20% protien. I"m having a hard time keeping my protein under 15% so I think I'll try going back to 20% for a while & see how it goes.

I will say that my ketone meter readings have gone up a bit since upping my fat. That being said, my highest has only been 1.0