Training programs

Options
Krisydee103
Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
Whats everyone's training program look like for a big run? I'm trainning by myself for my very first big race (25k run) and I m kind of doing my own thing but I would love to see what everyone's training programs' looks like, just to give me an idea. TIA!

P.S. Incase some of you ask. My regular runs are 5-6k. But recently I've bumped it up to 8k. I do my big runs once a week (12k) and always rest the next day. Than I will run Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursday. Big run Saturday or Sunday. Is that ok? Should I increase my runs? More running in general or more kms when I do go? I need some tips because I've never ran further than 13k before and need to be well prepared for this 25k run.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I use usually a Hal Higdon plan or use the Smart Coach thing on Runner's World.

For my first full I am going to be training with the local running store's marathon training group that starts at the end of June.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Everything that rduhlir said. Higdon is good. Runners world is good. Your local running store most likely has a running group you can join. There are also running clubs around. See if one is in your area. Just remember, any plan you go with cam be modified to work with your schedule. I used Hal Higdon as my base. Good luck with your runs. It looks as though your doing great.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    My coach emphasizes more time on my feet at a slower pace right now. I'm not into the real marathon training just yet, I'm building my base. My weeks typically look like this now:

Monday: Strength train
    Tuesday: 4 miles moderate pace
    Wednesday: 3 miles easy pace, strength train
    Thursday: 4 miles easy pace, 10x100m hill climbs at max effort
    Friday: Strength train
    Saturday: 3 miles easy pace
    Sunday: 8-10 miles easy pace

If I have a shorter race (like I do tomorrow) I will go out the day before and run 3 miles easy + 6-100m striders at 5K pace. Before this I was running 3 days a week and never imagined I could handle running 5 days. The key is taking the easy runs slow. Right now I would just concentrate on building time on your feet.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like to follow plans sometimes and did so when I ran my first races. Used Hal Higdon training for my first half marathon. For my first (and only) road marathon, I used Cool Running, which I really liked: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/143.shtml

25K is not too much further than a half marathon, so you could basically see what half programs suggest and add a little to each weekly long run.

Have fun!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Whats everyone's training program look like for a big run? I'm trainning by myself for my very first big race (25k run) and I m kind of doing my own thing but I would love to see what everyone's training programs' looks like, just to give me an idea. TIA!

P.S. Incase some of you ask. My regular runs are 5-6k. But recently I've bumped it up to 8k. I do my big runs once a week (12k) and always rest the next day. Than I will run Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursday. Big run Saturday or Sunday. Is that ok? Should I increase my runs? More running in general or more kms when I do go? I need some tips because I've never ran further than 13k before and need to be well prepared for this 25k run.

You really don't want to know. :wink:

It sounds like what you are doing is working well for you. You are getting in a solid 4 days per week. If possible, I would try to add a 5th day easy run every other week for a couple months to see how your body responds. It it accepts the change, then keep that 5th day.

The bottom line is, the more easy running you do (miles or minutes, doesn't matter), the more fitness you will gain. Time on your feet is what is most important early on.
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I appreciate it very much. I have a baby at home and my schedule is all over the place with my online schooling so running groups aren't the best thing for me. I will check out higdon plans and just keep doing what I'm doing and build up on it.
    Thanx once again!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Higdon has a great plan for half-marathon-ish, I like hansens for marathon/50k

Here's mine:(for this week, trail marathon next weekend May 3, no taper)

Monday: Easy run 50 min, weights 30 min
    Tuesday: 25 min tempo, 50 min total (so, 12ish min warm up, 12is cool down, tempo in the middle)
    Wednesday: yoga, 60 min easy run
    Thursday: 3x10 min hills 6% grade, total 50 min
    Friday: yoga
    Saturday: 15 mile trail run, easy (the trail is easy, not my pace..ha ha ha)
    Sunday: two hours trail, easy