Synthroid upped, when will weight loss start?

Options
gizzymoto333
gizzymoto333 Posts: 10 Member
HELLO!

I started working out and eating 1300 (TDEE-15%) calories a month ago. I saw absolutely no weight loss. I had a feeling my thyroid was off, so I got labs done and sure enough I got a call today from my doctor saying we needed to up it to 75mgs from 50mgs. I am hoping that I will start to see weight loss soon, and not have to wait another 6 weeks before it happens.

When do you think this increased synthroid will start helping me lose weight?

Thank you!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight on 25 mcg Synthroid, by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

I thought I was gaining weight for no good reason, but once I started logging I could clearly see I was eating too much. I'm now up to 88mcg Synthroid, and I'm losing no faster now than I was back then.

Synthroid is not a miracle weight-loss drug. Open your diary for personalized advice, but my #1 recommendation is to weigh everything you eat.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Plus, it looks like you only have 17 pounds to lose. That's not very much. The closer you are to goal weight, the smaller your calorie deficit needs to be. Try eating at TDEE minus 5% and see if that helps.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    I plateau whenever my dose needs to be upped as well.

Usually, it seems to take a few weeks for the T4 to build up again in my system before I start to see the scale move again.

One symptom of hypothyroidism is water retention, so I suspect that off levels cause plateaus both by increasing water retention and by slightly lowering BMR. So even if you're doing everything right, that water retention will mask any fat loss. I know I often have a bit of a "whoosh" when my levels get closer to normal.

Hang in there and keep logging as accurately as possible!