Beginning Monthly Goal suggestions

Options
fatninja111
fatninja111 Posts: 24 Member
Hello all! Just bought a bike on the 12th and want to start riding again. I loved it when I was a kid. Mainly looking to use it as a fitness tool and way to get outside. I bought a used hybrid bike and do not plan on racing but might be interested in longer rides eventually. My question is what is a good place to start as far as a monthly mileage goal? And as far as speed what is a good place to start? For example I have been on 4 rides now since I bought my bike and am averaging 4-6 miles each ride with an average speed of about 8 mph (using Strava phone app). Thanks for any suggestions/comments!

Replies

• dickrocketjones
    dickrocketjones Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    never really worked off monthly goals. generally preferred to work on a weekly basis. when i was doing my riding i would ride 3 or 4 times a week. generally about an hour. then a long ride on the weekends of about 2 hours or so. of course your mileage will vary on the type of bike you ride. so on my road bike my hour rides were about 15 miles. my big ride was about 30. never really got into really high mileage rides and i'm obviously not very fast. good luck. enjoy biking. its a great form of exercise.
  • TimmyTriedTooHard
    Options
    When I started out, that's about the speed I averaged when riding on a relatively flat path (towpath in my case). Too challenging to quantify a monthly goal. But maybe just take the average miles you're riding now.. decide how many times per week you're going to ride and multiply that out. The bonus is, if you keep riding 3+ times per week your speed will increase, so you'll be doing that many more miles in the same time period (say if you get up to 10mph).
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Pick one day each week and add a couple of miles on what you done the same day the previous week, you will see your average speed lift naturally on the shorter rides in between,
    But mainly try enjoy it and everything will come easier
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    In all the reading I have done on building mileage is to add no more than 10% per week with riding 3 or 4 times a week. I start the spring with 3 rides, even though I am on my trainer all winter 5 days a week. I have three rides about the same distance, then the forth ride is my long ride that I add miles to. I did 35 miles last week and then 56 miles this past week. it was too big a jump.

Instead of speed, I work on cadence. Yesterday, I tried to have a cadence of 90 the entire ride. I usually pedal around 75, but read that higher allows for longer rides. Your speed will be determined by your bike. I have three road bikes. On one I average about 10 mph, on the next it is about 14 and on the final is about 17. I would ride my fast bike and my wife would ride her bike. She could never keep up. Last year, she road our daughter's bike, which is more like mine, and she could beat me up every hill. Needless to say, the bike make the difference.

After years of listening to others, two years ago, I saved and bought a garmin. It allows me to look at the more important issues like heart rate. I watch my heart rate when I climb big hills. And, on the flats, I work to keep it up.