How long before the scale turns around?

Options
Hi everyone!
I've been watching what I eat for more than 3 years now (I've lost a bit less than 50lbs since then), and I recently came to the conclusion that I wasn't eating enough the whole time...

I was at less than 1,200cal/day, plus a big cheat meal every week (like beers & pizza...).... I know (now), it's the worst combinaison possible. I worked out 3-4 times a week.

I've been training with a personal trainer for the last 4 weeks, and I work out 5 times a week (running, weight lifting, swimming, ...). I've increased my caloric intake to 1,500cal per day. I also decided to cut alcohol for the month of April, just to try to see drastic result on the scale even with my increased intake.

The thing is, it's been 4 weeks now, I know I should be patient, but I can't get myself to stay positive. My weight hasn't change at all. I expected that for the first weeks, but now I would love a change! I'm still stuck at 157lbs (I reached 149lbs before Christmas, my lowest weight).

My question : how long did it take you guys to start losing weight (or do you prefer, losing FAT) again after increasing your caloric intake? I know I'm not just losing fat and gaining muscles, I still have a lot of belly and thigh fat...

Thanks, I'm gonna go work out now! ;)

Replies

• brookeebuchanan
    Options
    I'd really be interested to see a response on this. I recently started increasing my calories after eating 1200 calories or less, a total starve/binge cycle. I just seem to keep gaining weight after upping my calories and trading long cardio sessions for strength training. I'm still working on trying to get my binging problem under control, so I know that part of my weight gain/lack of weight loss is probably due to the bingeing.

But I do wonder when to expect more positive changes. Not necessarily on the scale, because I don't mind my scale weight so much. It's more inches and fat loss that I'm concerned with.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Have you figured out your TDEE? Let us know your stats and we will be able to help you a bit more...

Without having those stats, my gut feeling is that you are probably still way under eating. You are working out 5 times a week and just based on your weight (since we have no other info), my guess it that your TDEE is significantly higher that 1,500.

Were you at that low 1,200 calorie level for a long time? Coming from that history, it sounds like you might want to try a re-set and get your metabolism all revved up prior to cutting. Doing a re-set will allow your metabolism to acclimate to the new increased level of eating, and eating consistently at this level will sort of "re-train" your metabolism that the intake will be consistent (and not those restrict/binge cycles you were on in the past). Once your metabolism has adapted and stabilized at that higher level, then you will be ready to do that cut.

One other thing, be prepared for this process to take a lot longer than 4 weeks for results. It is a slow process, but one that is worth it in the long run. Have you ready the threads tacked to the top of the EM2WL group forum? There is tons of great info there about what to expect as you go through this process.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like a shoulder to lean on...
  • JungleJeanne
    Options
    Hi,
    Thank you for your answer!
    I've looked at my TDEE from http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and it says (I'm 5pi4, 24yo, now 157lbs and approx. 35% body fat) :

Your BMR is:
    1372 CALORIES/DAY
    Your TDEE is:
    2006 CALORIES/DAY
    I tried a few other methods of calculating my BMR and I'm always around 1,500cal.

I've been eating under 1,200cal/day + 1 cheat meal a week for a long time (3 years)... One summer I didn't pay attention to what I was eating and I gained around 20lbs back.

I've set myself to 1,500 mostly because of my personal trainer (she says I shouldn't go up to 1,700cal, even on the days when I work out). She based her recommendations on an analysis done at the gym.

... but I though I WAS doing a re-set just now by increasing to 1,500? Could you explain what you mean when you say "re-set and get your metabolism all revved up prior to cutting"?
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Okay, you have figured out your TDEE - that is also known as "Maintenance". This figure is the total number of calories you burn throughout the day. It includes your BMR, regular daily activities (shopping, school, walking the dog...etc) as well as your formal exercise. In theory, if you eat at Maintenance (TDEE), you will maintain. Occasionally, this is not true, like if you have suppressed your metabolism through years of low calorie dieting. Eventually, after years of under eating, the body adapts and just slows down the metabolism to meet your intake. This is often what seems to be happening when people say "I am eating 1,000 calories a day, doing an hour of cardio a day an can't lose anything - in fact I am gaining!" What may be happening is that their metabolism has finally slowed down to meet their low intake and high calorie burns.

A Metabolic Reset attempts to heal the metabolism after this low calorie "abuse". EM2WL recommends that you increase your calories to TDEE and stay there for approximately 8 weeks allowing the metabolism to get revved back up and used to the constant intake again. After this period of time, when you take a slight (i.e 15%) deficit, the body will usually respond favorable and drop some fat in response to that new deficit.

Since it sounds like you have been a low cal "binger" (eating low calories for an extended period of time, then having a "binge" every so often, or in your case every weekend), then you can expect your body to possibly react negatively at first. It might assume that this is just another one of your "binges" and that "starvation" is just around the corner, resulting in it holding on to everything that comes through in the beginning. Once it senses that it will receive regular intake (and not the restrict/binge cycles), it will react accordingly by actually letting go..

If you decide to do the reset, I would suggest that you increase very slowly to TDEE. This should help to minimize some of the fluctuations you will see on the scale. You can try adding 100 calories a day onto your daily intake, and monitor your weight. It may initially bounce a round, but then should acclimate and stabilize again. Once it does this, you can bump it up another 100 or so. Just keep repeating this process until you get up to TDEE. It can be a fairly long process, but think of it as healing your metabolism. Take it nice and slow and just monitor your weight along the way -- rushing the reset process is often the cause of unnecessarily high weight gain, causing one to quit early.

Hope that helps a bit :-)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251

How long?

Notice in the study, the group that was LCD took 3 months eating at measured TDEE, not potentially where they could be, what they had suppressed down to, for their suppressed level to lighten up by half.

So their system was suppressed by 500 calories more than it needed to be.
    They ate at their reduced maintenance for 3 months, regular testing kept increasing that amount.
    By end of 3 months, they were only suppressed about 275.

So the hope here is it's faster because you actually slowly eat over whatever the suppressed maintenance level is.

And notice it's not about the calorie level, but the deficit amount. You don't have to eat a small amount, with exercise though you basically caused the same effect.
    Reasonable diet level for sedentary becomes LCD for someone exercising.

But even the group that took the 25% deficit had increased slightly over time. But they all exact measured TDEE's and exact amount of exercise being done and food levels exactly known.

You'd sure hate to spend a month trying to destress, and then in 2 weeks scare it slower again and basically lose that 4 weeks, right?