I started today . . . kind of.

Options
Hi! I am 55 years old and started the Insanity Program today. Am I insane???? Today I did the first fit test. It was tough to get through and I probably didn't push myself as hard as I should have, but it was so early in the morning!! I've been exercising, off and on, for a couple of years. I want to lose 40-50 lbs. I have 2 problems: I start things and dont do well at following through and I love to eat and sweets are probably my biggest pitfall. I'm hoping to connect with others who are in similar situations. I feel like I might be the oldest person to do this program. Anyone else my age out there? Maybe age doesn't really matter. Just looking for some support and encouragement. Thanks! Kathy

Replies

• Artificer22
    Artificer22 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Baked goods are my downfall. Starting and sticking with things has always been my issue. I tried doing Insanity last year and failed miserably. Wasnt until i found the previous Insanity group i was in (Group Moderator was in it as well as some of the members) that i found my drive. Pushed all the way thru and finished Sunday. we are all here for support and to push each other. Its a lot easier to accomplish when you have ppl to sound off on successes and failures
  • mummybabyjojo
    mummybabyjojo Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I dont think you should worry about your age, when I looked on amazon at the reviews for insanity most of the people who had bought the program and had completed it were over the age of 50 I even remember reading a review from a 62 year old - you can do it! Perhaps get checked out by your GP if you are unsure but I think as long as you go at your own pace you should be fine.

Take as many rests as you need do not feel obligated to constantly go at a fast pace and dont beat yourself up if you do need to stop a lot at the beginning you will get better over time. After a few weeks of doing it you will surprise yourself at how long you can last on each exercise - your body will adjust with time.
    I never really finished any programs before but I found insanity so rewarding that I carried on through. The support group was such a big help as there were loads of people going through exactly the same thing as me and it was nice to talk it through with others especially on your demotivated days! The high you get from the exercises is incredible and its worth doing it just for that!
    Take before and after pictures and measurements - these will be a great way to keep you going as well - when you start seeing the changes in your body you wont want to stop!

We are all here for you just keep pushing play!
  • kchoile12559
    Options
    Thank you for your post. After this morning (2nd day), I was ready to quit. After 20 minutes of the "warm up" I was so hot and was having to stop every so often to catch my breath. Maybe I'll keep trying. It's nice to hear from "real" people. Seeing the people in the video, who are in fantastic shape, makes me feel like I will never/can never look like that!
  • NyxButterfly
    NyxButterfly Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you sans the age. I'm much younger then you ^^; But the amount of sweets I eat is bad... >.> Currently I'm restricting myself to 1 sweet a day and have been successful so far. So I know the feelings.

As for having problems, my bestie (who's also doing this with me) has a hard time too. She's young like I am but VERY overweight (she's such a sweetie ^-^) so she has a very hard time keeping up too. Just remember that you need to go at a good pace for YOU. Don't follow their pace. I can't keep their pace either! XD Try to aim for consistency (aka fewer breaks as your stamina increases) rather then speed.