4 weeks away from my first marathon and having doubts

Options
Colorado_Joni
Colorado_Joni Posts: 25 Member
Hello! I am training for my first road marathon. Long term goal is to work my way up to ultras! That said, I need some advice from distance runners who may have been in my shoes before. I am less than 4 weeks away from the marathon, and I'm afraid my training has not be adequate enough. I know it is normal to have fear and doubt, but I'm just second guessing myself like crazy.

Today, I was supposed to accomplish my 18mi run, and I was feeling bad from the start. No specific injury or pain - I think my IT bands are just getting a bit overworked. I only made it about 13mi before I felt too awful and quit. At this point, I am only up to 36mi/week. From what I've heard, this is a pretty low weekly mileage for even a beginner. Next, weekend is my 20 mi run, and then I taper. Starting to fear I am under trained and even considering opting out. Maybe it would be better to shift focus to strengthening and eventually training for the Chicago Marathon in October.

Am I just psyching myself out or are these valid concerns? I would love your opinions and honesty, as I don't have many friends or family who are long distance runners.

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Whether you think you can, or you think you can't; you are correct.

If you are determined to finish this marathon, go out tomorrow and destroy that 18 mile run. Show it who's boss. Then follow your plan and go out next week and run 20. If you've made it this far and you want to finish, you will finish.

If you don't think you can do it, then you're probably right. Personally, I knew my training was not the best for my first marathon. I also knew I would finish. And I did. If I had known I wouldn't finish, I'm sure I wouldn't have.

Completing a marathon requires a high level of fitness. It also requires a positive attitude and a lot of will-power. You can do it. Or you can't. But that choice is yours to make.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Great answer Jenna!

And so true - it's all about what you think you can do! Go into your 20 miler knowing you can do it. If you have to walk a little, that's fine! Just keep going. You can do this!
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal for one of the long runs to go terribly. You'll nail the next one, and all will be well.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I had a few of my long runs go awry when training. You don't have to follow the plan 100%. Adjust as needed. There were a handful of times during the heavy training weeks that I would take 2-3 days completely off, as well as push back a long run by a couple of days, or even a week. No one single training run will make or break your marathon readiness. It's cumulative. Trust your training.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    My 16 and 18 mile training runs were COMPLETE total crap. I even came here to whine about them because I ended up walking just trying to make it back so I could go home. My next runs were awesome though. My longest was 24 before the taper and it was amazing. I ended up dropping my pace by 15 seconds but it made a smooth steady run the whole way through.

So many people contacted me and told me to stay focused and that bad runs happen (even back to back) so I'm just coming back to re-iterate that you aren't out of this fight yet so keep going.

Some good suggestions that people gave me were:

1. Never use a negative while on your run. Like instead of "I am not going to stop" say "I will do this." I wish I could find the article that they sent about it but it was a great piece that talked about what happens to negative words on a weary mind and how they can basically transform in your head.

2. This article was great and I was constantly assessing how to keep the "governor" happy during my few long runs. I wish I could remember the user that posted it to give her credit but I suck like that so thank you to whoever it was.
    http://www.irunfar.com/2013/06/peak-performance-and-the-selfish-brain-the-central-governor-and-its-role-in-100-mile-performance.html

I am a week out from my first full and I've got the jitters like crazy. I feel like a million different things could go wrong at this point but dammit, we are going to do this come hell or high water. We can do this jonimwatkins!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I had a full go to crap, yet followed up with a 20mi run 3 weeks later that was just perfect. It happens. Congrats on getting into Chicago. Perhaps start a longer training plan for that so you can have more "forgiveness"?
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Mental strength is at least as important as being physically prepared to run a marathon. You need to put negative thoughts out of your head and just run for your next long run. The best thing to do is run with a group that is close to your pace, having others with you will keep your mind off of what you are doing.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    No one training session matters. It is culmination that matters. How has the rest of your training been going? Since you are only at 36 miles it *suggests* other training issues. Is this the case? When you quit on the 18 miler was it mental or were you in pain? It sounds mental but if pain I think you need to address that to hold up for a marathon.

You CAN do a marathon on training in the mid 30's, you just need to set proper expectations. If the rest of your training has gone well and you are not in pain I think you can still go for it.

How fast are you doing your long runs? Are you foam rolling? Doing any glute or hip exercises?
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    My first marathon these were my long runs:
    13 weeks out- 14 (8:00 pace)
    12 weeks out- 16 (8:30 pace)
    7 weeks out- 19 (9:00 pace) - had to stop & walk multiple times. Thought I was going to die. Pace slowed down to a hault..
    That's it. That's all I did. I think I did 2 more 10s? I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I was pretty confident I would finish fine.

I didn't start really "worrying" until I hit the 1/2 way point of the marathon. My fiancé yelled "now can you run the second half faster?"... I was paralyzed by fear. There is NO way I could. I slowly slowed down. By mile 20 I was slowing 1+ min per mile slower than I had started out. By mile 23 I was actually bawling. I was DEVISTATED. I had never ever expected the pain I was feeling. Sure, if ran a sub 21 5k, but NOTHING I had ever done had prepared me for my marathon. That "new" feeling scared the crap out of me... I was soooo embaressed. Everyone else seemed to be doing fine. People were flying by me.. I let my confidence go. I didn't think I would finish... When I finally got there at 4:09, I wanted to die.

Anyways, I am telling you this because I let myself become overwhelmed by the fear I was feeling during the race. I wasn't going to die. I could have pushed harder, but I was so nervous & scared.

I went back to "avenge" the marathon 11 weeks later with ZERO long runs over 13.1 inbetween. I smashed it out of the water. Why? Because I KNEW I could. I KNEW the pain, and I was not going to let it scare me or slow me down! I ran 3:47. It was a 21+ min PR.

I ran 2 more within the next 4 months for fun..

Then I buckled down & got REALLY serious about my training. I believed a 3:25 was possible. I trained all winter long. I ran a 3:27.... I still don't know how I did it. Honestly it was so wrapped in my belief that I was CAPABLE. I believed I could really run that 3:25.. On all my long runs I tried hard to stay positive even when I felt sick. I listened to motivational speeches.

You need to build yourself up. You need to believe in yourself. If there is no enemy within the enemy outside can do you no harm. Do not fear the pain you feel while running. You NEED & CAN push through your training runs as well as your marathon..

Also, it's better to shorten your taper if you feel undertrained...

Good luck. If you believe in yourself, it will go well...

Running honestly is SUCH a mental sport. Day in and day out you MUST remain mentally tough.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post and all the motivational responses! I am 7 weeks out from my first and I ended last weeks long run at 8.5 due to a migraine! I was miserable and had a short lived pity party for myself! Then today watching those elite runners, I got my mojo back! I will finish this marathon, no chance I won't!
  • Colorado_Joni
    Colorado_Joni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How has the rest of your training been going? Since you are only at 36 miles it *suggests* other training issues. Is this the case? When you quit on the 18 miler was it mental or were you in pain?
    How fast are you doing your long runs? Are you foam rolling? Doing any glute or hip exercises?

The rest of my training has been going pretty good. To be honest, I never set out to run more than 40 mpw at peak. However, I know this base isn't ideal. My goal really is to just finish. I don't have any expectations for time other than sub 6 hours or I get a DNF. Really, when I quit today it was 90% mental, 10% it band stiffness because I admittedly slacked on foam rolling last week. Though I have been doing quite a bit of cross-training, including core strengthening. I know this is something I really need to work on a lot before the Chicago in October.

Last week, I did 16 mi at an avg of 12 min per mile, which isn't all that slow for me. I will definitely need to take it down a notch for the 20 mi.

Anyway, after coming to the quick realization that I need stop whining, I grabbed my dog, and we went out and did the last 5 mi. Not ideal, but at least I got all 18 mi in today.

Thanks for your input everyone. It is appreciated.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you will be ready to go. I am putting the finishing touches on the beginner training plan for a running club fall marathon (one of which is Chicago) that we run (no pun). I think 38 is the top mileage for that group so what you are running is very doable especially with your expectations.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You're completely fine. Trust your training. It's very common around this time to start freaking out and doubting everything you've done for the last 4 months, just wait until the taper madness starts in a few weeks and you have all the nervous energy!;) The taper will help that IT band settle down too (and make sure to foam roll and ice of course). Just go out and run your 20 this weekend telling yourself you can and that it's just another long run. I ran my first marathon with a peak week of 40mpw too, very common mileage for a first time marathon. BTW - you'll LOVE Chicago, I ran it last year, the crowd support is just amazing!! I don't think I even realized I was running until I hid the 13.1 mile mark! I was so entertained by all the crowd support, signs, music, dancing, balloons, etc.!
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first ever marathon, the virgin london marathon, last weekend. My training was all over the shop, and I know I didn't train as much as I needed too or should've. BUT I did it! 5 hours 33minutes, but I did it. I would've loved to get under 5, and if I get through again next year I will work my butt off in training to make sure that I'm sub 5 hours. But either way, whatever the time, I did it and so can you! The main thing that got me through it, was positivity, determination and the atmosphere which was absolutely immense! Just believe in yourself, make sure you taper properly and rest as this is just as important!! Good luck! x
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am not going to ask something stupid like whether there is a London marathon for virgins?

Even if the long run didn't work the first time, try it again. Others have already said you can walk too . . . maybe try 6 running and one minute walking later in the race. Adrenolin and your training will take you through.
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am not going to ask something stupid like whether there is a London marathon for virgins?

Even if the long run didn't work the first time, try it again. Others have already said you can walk too . . . maybe try 6 running and one minute walking later in the race. Adrenolin and your training will take you through.

Lol NO! It's hosted by Virgin, as in Richard Branson! Lol