Question about cardio during workouts

Options
So I have been following Stronglifts 3 days a week and eating at a reasonable deficit and everyone keeps telling me, "Oh you shouldn't just lift weights, you need to be doing cardio too!" *cue eyeball roll*

Now, I could be imagining things, but I thought I remembered someone smart telling me it was better to do cardio AFTER your strength training workout, but would love some clarification and input.

Whats the best way to input cardio during a workout? Or is it necessary? I'm 5'4" about 135, and would be happy with a BF of 18-19%, and a lb loss of 5-10 lb max.

What do ya'll think?

*EDIT: Also, I looked on the topics to see if this had been discussed, so as not to post something already covered, but I didn't see anything, so if I've missed a post you can direct me to, I apologize in advance!*

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Whats the best way to input cardio during a workout?

This is goal dependent and preferential. My belief is that most people will have rather significant performance issues in their weight lifting if they do cardio (beyond a short warm up) followed by a heavy weight training session. Lifting first followed by cardio tends to not have as significant of an impact, which is why it's a common recommendation to lift first followed by cardio.

I'd consider an exception to this rule for someone who trains cardio for performance specific reasons (the cardio performance is more important to them than the weight training performance). This may be a case where doing cardio first and just "taking what you can get" with the lifting session could be preferable.

Or is it necessary? I'm 5'4" about 135, and would be happy with a BF of 18-19%, and a lb loss of 5-10 lb max.

What do ya'll think?

Necessary is a tricky word.

In forum discussions you will often hear that cardio is not necessary for fat loss. Fundamentally I agree with that statement because chronic energy deficits will lead to fat loss regardless of whether or not cardio is in the program.

Cardio helps burn calories. There may be a situation or circumstance where the addition of cardio is significantly better than a reduction in calories or an increase in activity elsewhere. In this circumstance, cardio may be the optimal choice.

I hate cardio, badly, so I don't do any of it.
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just to add, the one major reason i advise people new to lifting/training to do cardio after...or better yet on off days...is so that you don't get hurt with your lifts.

If you are an experienced lifter/athlete it's different. You have learned how to focus to make sure your form is good and you should know when to back off weight to avoid injury. When you are new to lifting this skill set has not been learned yet and there is nothing more discouraging to someone new than getting hurt.

I'm not a fan of cardio either...well i should say indoor cardio...anything outdoors can be fun. However, due to time constraints I do HIIT type training. Hill sprints at a local park are my go to. Sprint up the hill, walk down, repeat. I figure if i can't catch you in the first mile you are allowed to get away...=)

Also some studies are pointing to HIIT training on a net effect burn a lot more calories than the immediate session because of the 'after burn'. 20-40% increase in some cases.

Unless you are training for a specific role, it's good to develop a well rounded training. Resistance training, cardio, HIIT, plyometrics, etc. Each develop your body in different and complimentary ways.

But if i had to sacrifice any of them it would be cardio...boooooring...=)
  • OccamsDisposableRazor
    Options
    Hoping to piggyback off the original post since cardio before lifting wasn't recommended "beyond a short warm up". I'm looking for a little clarity on what's recommended for that warm up. Currently I'm doing 15 minutes of bike/elliptical/treadmill (whatever's available, honestly). I try to get and keep my heartrate at about 130 bpm for the duration. That's generally worked up a decent sweat, but I'm not worn out. I then switch over to weights.

With all that being said, I don't really have a clue what I'm doing most of the time. And my warm up routine before weights is more of a guess than otherwise. Any recommendations or advice to maximize my workout would be greatly appreciated!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hoping to piggyback off the original post since cardio before lifting wasn't recommended "beyond a short warm up". I'm looking for a little clarity on what's recommended for that warm up. Currently I'm doing 15 minutes of bike/elliptical/treadmill (whatever's available, honestly). I try to get and keep my heartrate at about 130 bpm for the duration. That's generally worked up a decent sweat, but I'm not worn out. I then switch over to weights.

With all that being said, I don't really have a clue what I'm doing most of the time. And my warm up routine before weights is more of a guess than otherwise. Any recommendations or advice to maximize my workout would be greatly appreciated!

Are you experiencing any issues with your current method of warming up? What happens if you cut the warmup to 5 or 10 minutes?
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I do the same to start my workouts, i then do DeFranco's Limber 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc and then i do my weight training. At night i do static stretching and yoga.

My warm-up takes as long or longer than the work-out. However, i think it's the most important. I also do the warm-up routine on a daily basis, even on off days.
  • gixbr
    gixbr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    We had a discussion recently about this topic on the 5x5 group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1245627-cardio-how-much

Looks like finishers are a good addition to your workout routine. I myself run on the elliptical for 15 mins after every workout and sometimes I use the elliptical again on off days for about 30 mins or so. Remember that elliptical/treadmill is all about legs and you need to give them a good rest since we do squats every workout.
  • OccamsDisposableRazor
    Options
    If I'm only putting in 5 minutes of cardio, I'm simply not getting my heartrate up. I don't know that I notice any difference between doing 10 vice 15 minutes. No issues with my current routine - I guess I was mostly curious to know if I should be aiming for a pre-workout goal and what those might be.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    So I have been following Stronglifts 3 days a week and eating at a reasonable deficit and everyone keeps telling me, "Oh you shouldn't just lift weights, you need to be doing cardio too!" *cue eyeball roll*

Now, I could be imagining things, but I thought I remembered someone smart telling me it was better to do cardio AFTER your strength training workout, but would love some clarification and input.

Whats the best way to input cardio during a workout? Or is it necessary? I'm 5'4" about 135, and would be happy with a BF of 18-19%, and a lb loss of 5-10 lb max.

What do ya'll think?

*EDIT: Also, I looked on the topics to see if this had been discussed, so as not to post something already covered, but I didn't see anything, so if I've missed a post you can direct me to, I apologize in advance!*

I'd do it after as it seems that you don't have cardio performance goals. Seems more like way to just burning some extra calories. It would help with DOMS after legs.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I agree with SideSteel that it depends on your performance goals. I'm training for half and full marathons, so my running comes first. I still lift to maintain my LBM as I'm still trying to lose weight, but those results are secondary. I'll pound out a few miles on the treadmill, and then finish by lifting. So far, I've not had a problem with this. I do have to put more effort into my lifts, but I'm still able to finish them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If I'm only putting in 5 minutes of cardio, I'm simply not getting my heartrate up. I don't know that I notice any difference between doing 10 vice 15 minutes. No issues with my current routine - I guess I was mostly curious to know if I should be aiming for a pre-workout goal and what those might be.

If the purpose of your cardio is to warm up for your lifting, you do not need to get your heart rate up. It is really just to...well, warm up. Get things flowing so to speak (which you can actually do by lifting very light weights). You should make sure that you include warm up sets however when you lift.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Thank you for all your input! This is helpful. My goals are not cardio related, my goal is to reduce my body fat percentage and to increase my lifting gains. I don't particularly enjoy cardio, though I enjoy activities like indoor rock climbing and yoga.

If my goals are to reduce my body fat and to maintain LBM, is cardio an important addition to my routine? Normally right now, I lift 3x a week with a ten min warm up beforehand, and do yoga for at least an hour on an off day.

What do you think?
  • gixbr
    gixbr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your input! This is helpful. My goals are not cardio related, my goal is to reduce my body fat percentage and to increase my lifting gains. I don't particularly enjoy cardio, though I enjoy activities like indoor rock climbing and yoga.

If my goals are to reduce my body fat and to maintain LBM, is cardio an important addition to my routine? Normally right now, I lift 3x a week with a ten min warm up beforehand, and do yoga for at least an hour on an off day.

What do you think?

You'll lose body fat if you eat on a deficit, heavy lifting and tracking your macros will help you keep the LBM you have. Cardio is not essential but will boost fast loss because it's burning calorie, although it's not necessary if you already on a deficit.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options

What do you think?

You'll lose body fat if you eat on a deficit, heavy lifting and tracking your macros will help you keep the LBM you have. Cardio is not essential but will boost fast loss because it's burning calorie, although it's not necessary if you already on a deficit.

Thank you! This helps tremendously. :) Its nice to feel confident about your routine. Noms + Iron = Happy!!!