Yoga Goals 2014

Options
yoginimary
yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
Every year I make yoga goals. I didn't make the poses that I set for last year: mayurasana and parivrtta parsvakonasana, to my satisfaction, so those are still this year's goals. Although I think if I lost about 10 lbs, I could do both of them as I'm pretty close. I decided to add another one this year: kapotasana grabbing my heels. There's an advanced backbend workshop that I would like to attend, and that is the requirement. I got to the soles of my foot yesterday. I'm not attached to these goals, but I like to see how my practice progresses so I have a backbend, an arm balance, and twist.

Other goals are: work on my uneven hips everyday. I know what I need to do, I just need to remember to practice those poses everyday. Also work on my arm, ab, and hamstring strength.
I'm also studying for a teaching test this fall. So lots of practice teaching, practice poses, and studying will happen this year.

What are your goals?

Replies

• puruhutika
    puruhutika Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    After seeing your post, I realized that I haven't set any goals for my yoga asana practice. Last year I perfected Chakrasana (wheel pose), Virabhadrsana 1, 2 and 3 and bakasana to an extent. This year I would like to learn/practice Baddha padmasana, Mayurasana, Sarvangasana and Marichyasana. I would have to dedicate 2-3 three months or more to master each pose. I am planning to attend few Vinyasa classes to learn them from a guru. Other than that, I have get certification for software, start looking for a job and improve my parenting skills. Thanks for posting your goals.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    in previous years i had goal poses, and i have improved them all. this year, i think my goal is to set up a *consistent* home practice, and to practice more yoga off the mat, so to speak.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    To lose 20 pounds by the end of May this year so I can be 20 pounds leaner when I go to my Yoga retreat. That has to make a difference, right?

To hold a wall-supported handstand for three minutes, and a Bakasana for one minute. These are kind-of related I think.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't set goals to learn new poses but I do want to improve in all of mine. Crow or down dog, both are a challenge to do perfect. I want to be more mindful while I practice and stop having the brain wandering to whats for dinner etc... I am also trying to have the goal of doing some kind of a daily practice, even if its just a few sun salutations in the morning.
  • yoga_mel
    yoga_mel Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    in previous years i had goal poses, and i have improved them all. this year, i think my goal is to set up a *consistent* home practice, and to practice more yoga off the mat, so to speak.

This has also been a goal of mine, practicing at home more. I am loving it!! Also working on focus and clearing the mind both on and off mat :)
  • tonyalenore
    tonyalenore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've never though to set a goal for the year, but I like the idea :)

I would like to establish a home practice, even if it's only once a week for an hour.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    Since I am new to Yoga, I think my goals this year are to get very comfortable with it and make it a weekly habit even if I get back to running this summer. I would also like to get my basic poses perfected to a point where I am not making mini corrections after getting into the pose and instead automatically fall into the correct position from the beginning
  • lauradoingyoga
    lauradoingyoga Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been challenged this past year with maintaining a consistent practice, so that's definitely a goal. My basic downdog needs more tweaking and I want to strengthen my adductors/Sartorius muscles around my hips .

I've been trying out different studios around town and I think I've found a home. I think I can get closer to all my goals by quitting the gym yoga and finally going to a yoga studio.
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My goal is to do yoga with more regularity. In the past, it has been sort of hit or miss. Right now, I am doing the January 30 day challenge, and so far, have done at least 30 minutes of yoga everyday. Starting next month, I will probably alternate in a few other activities, but my goal is to practice yoga at least three days a week.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Supported head stand was my goal last year...achieved. I want to continue working on arm balances. Getting my knees in crow pose to the back of my arms, not the sides (it just hurts so much!). Forearm stand. Flying pigeon. Grasshopper....etc. Just starting to have fun in these. Oh, and on the 4th of July 2013, I said I'd be able to do a handstand on the 4th of July 2014.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I would like to practice more regularly, at least 15 minutes/day and full practice 3-4 days/week. I need to get into a better routine to keep this up so that's what I'm working on. Pretty basic, I know. As far as postures I'm still working on headstand. I can get up but only hold for maybe up to 30 seconds. I would like to work on holding it longer.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My yoga goal is to do more inversions. I tend to stick to the easier ones (shoulder stand, plow) and not try the more challenging ones.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My goal is to just make it back to class. I quit after about 9 years of loyal attendance because I let another student in my favorite class get under my skin. I practice at home but it's not the same. My core is suffering, as is my posture.
  • rockyshrode
    rockyshrode Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a planning nerd, so I went out and bought a cheapie daily planner to keep track of my yoga practice throughout 2014. To encourage consistency and mindfulness, I take a little time each evening & reflect on the day's practice - what I achieved, felt, thought, struggled with, embraced, etc - and write a very brief paragraph. So far, I'm really digging it!

Physically, I'd luuuuv to get up in a balanced forearm stand by 2015.

Good luck to all in the New Year.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a planning nerd, so I went out and bought a cheapie daily planner to keep track of my yoga practice throughout 2014. To encourage consistency and mindfulness, I take a little time each evening & reflect on the day's practice - what I achieved, felt, thought, struggled with, embraced, etc - and write a very brief paragraph. So far, I'm really digging it!

Great idea. I also keep track of my practice.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    being pregnant my main goal is to keep up with my practice and get back to it after baby is born and i've been given the ok. I like the idea of writing how i feel afterwards i may steal it
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would love to get involved more with the spiritual side of yoga - but there isn't much in the way of hatha yoga around me in the evenings - they tend to be daytime based. So that will have to be a long term goal.

I want to perfect my virahhadrasana - its is something I find tricky, even though it is a basic pose.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My goal is to just make it back to class. I quit after about 9 years of loyal attendance because I let another student in my favorite class get under my skin. I practice at home but it's not the same. My core is suffering, as is my posture.

I hope you can do this. I hope that yoga leads you to acceptance. :flowerforyou:
  • itsgottago
    itsgottago Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic. I know I'm coming in late but....better late than never!

#1 goal (now don't laugh!) is to be able to transition from downward dog into lunge pose without having to drop to my knees. I want to be able to life my leg high in the air and then swoop it in with all the gracefulness I can muster.

#2 goal is to have the patience to grow in my practice. I want to enjoy my journey with my small wins. My latest accomplishment was to look up in warrior 1 and not topple over. I was so thrilled and then...today it didn't matter how focused I was ... crash. I want the patience to realize each day is it's own story.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I want the patience to realize each day is its own story.

I like this. This is something I need to practice off the mat, as well.