new to weights/strength

Options
Hi all
Am 31
5ft 3inches
12stone 3

I've been doing cardio for the past two months but I checked out the eights etc today has I want to tone up has well lose weight. I would like to know if anyone had any advise or any good tips thanks

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I'm 5'3.5"! :D anywhos, I would find a structured program to work with like strong lifts 5x5, new rules of lifting for women, all pro. I learned all of my barbell movements from YouTube. Lift heavy relative to you and work up from there. Another recommendation is getting about 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein to help retain muscle along with weightlifting.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Are you going to a gym on a regular basis? If so, see if they can set up with a free session with a trainer to show you how to use the equipment. Most gyms also offer personal training sessions that you can pay extra for if that initial free one is not enough.

If going to the gym is not an option and you have never done any strength training, I do agree on reading up on proper form and such. You can check out videos on YouTube or look for at-home work out plans on Pinterest. Get some hand weights or a kettle ball and just start figuring out who to work those muscles! You can start small and light-ish and gradually move yourself up. If you can afford it and have the space, you could always invest in a bench and bigger weights, maybe even a bar, in the future.

Good luck!
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    weights are the way to go! If you are unfamiliar with the machines/dumbells see if there is someone to guide you at the gym at first to get oriented. Many machines have pictures and explanations also how to use, or you could look online. Just make sure you feel like your working and using enough weight, those 3 pnd dumbells will do nothing for toning!