From 3:50+ to 3:15 marathon?

Options
2»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why all the negativity in this thread. MFP is a place for support.

I have no clue if you are capable. I think for any human being, it is a high goal. I'm in your boat, except not trying to BQ. I just want an enjoyable USAF Marathon in September and an even better one in Chicago, but my PR is way slower than yours so my standards are a little easier. Plus, for what it's worth, I'd like to be a little more competitive compared to you and a bunch of my other friends in the full. I'm taking the route of volume and gradually working my way into hopefully 60-70 MPW with a few races peppered in there to keep me sharp.

We've been nothing but supportive. Training plans have bun listed and we've expressed nothing but concern. Pete can't do it because he's nothing but a giver-upper.

Has he been fitted at a running store for the correct shoes?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why all the negativity in this thread. MFP is a place for support.

I have no clue if you are capable. I think for any human being, it is a high goal. I'm in your boat, except not trying to BQ. I just want an enjoyable USAF Marathon in September and an even better one in Chicago, but my PR is way slower than yours so my standards are a little easier. Plus, for what it's worth, I'd like to be a little more competitive compared to you and a bunch of my other friends in the full. I'm taking the route of volume and gradually working my way into hopefully 60-70 MPW with a few races peppered in there to keep me sharp.

We've been nothing but supportive. Training plans have bun listed and we've expressed nothing but concern. Pete can't do it because he's nothing but a giver-upper.

I believe he spent £60 on shoes and is willing to pay no more.
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My first marathon in Fall 2007 @ 41 was 3:47 and I was dragging to the finish. A BQ was 3:20 in my age group at that time, so I thought I'd never make it. Next Spring was a very hot marathon (mis-80s at finish) in Rochester and I ended up over 4 hours. But I got into NYC in fall 2008 and hit 3:27. Then came another big jump to 3:17 in Buffalo in May 2009 which got me my first BQ on my 4th marathon. In Fall 2009 I ran 3:16 at Wineglass, then a 3:14 at Boston in 2010. Followed that up with a 3:12 (my current PR) at Boston in 2011. In 2012 it was 80 at the start and I was over 4 hours again. Some persistent PF and post-tibial tendonitis sidelined me from a road marathon for the next two years, but I'm healthy again and training for Mississauga in two weeks. I'm 47 and shooting for 3:20 this time (5 minutes under my 3:25 qualifying time for Boston 2015). I'm not quite as fit as I was in 2011, but not far off. I think 3:20 is manageable. If it's warm, I'll be lucky to hit 3:30. If conditions are perfect, and I don't cramp up or tear anything, I think 3:15 is even within my reach.

You can do it. The key is don't rush it. Give yourself a good six months of solid, consistent training with ample speedwork (once per week is enough, and that isn't really crucial til the last 8 weeks of your training cycle in my experience). It is definitely possible. Allow yourself at least one or two longer races (half marathons or 20Ks) leading up to your marathon, or at the very least a few longer runs of 16 to 20 miles at or under your goal marathon pace. That should give you a good barometer of where you are. If you are struggling to keep goal pace, you are not ready yet. But remember, you are generally going to run faster on race day than your training pace, even when you feel you are pushing it. The magic of the race atmosphere always helps. But you never know what you will get on race day, sweltering, or snowing. You have to be ready to change your plan at the last minute.

Good luck to you. And let us know how it goes.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has said this or not, and I'm too lazy to read and find out...but if you're not going to get a coach or anything, I would look into the Hanson's training method. I've heard good things about it.
  • likitisplit
    Options

That's $100, which is what every one of my pairs of running shoes cost, according to my husband.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

That's $100, which is what every one of my pairs of running shoes cost, according to my husband.

Damn, I've spent $30 on my last 7 pairs...but I buy them on clearance at reioutlet.com.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am LOL'ing so hard right now!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Well, Pete - aside from your general known status as a complete slacker who's just unwilling to put in the mileage (yeah, right!) - your 3:50 is waaayyy soft. If memory serves, that was accomplished while pushing an IV pole with an antibiotic drip for bronchitis and/or Legionnaire's. You've got no business having a 3:50 PR - which doesn't make 3:15 a given, by any means, but I don't think the starting point for this comparison is fair. Unless, of course, you're planning on otherwise hobbling yourself for your next full, too?

Now go get that BQ, damn it!!!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    My dh has qualified for Boston but did not get in. His 35-4o age range was 3:07 for this yr and he did a 3:08,..

With that said. He tells everyone the difference bw qualifying and not is mental. You have to learn and accept the.push past all limits.
    I don't have that.. Yet.. So I back off. You also need the miles. Yes there are people out there who it all fits naturally together but for most you need to be out there running a lot and speed work and mental toughness.

You can shoot for it. Why not? Stay strong!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You guys are so unsupportive.... I quit running.

True Roberta, I was getting over Bronchitis at the time. I actually was pulling a faster pace for the first 8 until I hacked up about 3 lbs of lung butter and made myself slow down. If my health were optimal, I probably should've been able to come in ~5min quicker.

Victoria has me checking out mprunning.com for a plan. I think I'm going to hit this guy up.

Thanks people, good stuff as always. You big meanies :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    nike-running-sucks-tshirt_thumb.jpg
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    This isn't the place to ask for if you can run a Marathon let alone BQ... You are in a wrong community .... No wonder you don't want to run anymore.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    This isn't the place to ask for if you can run a Marathon let alone BQ... You are in a wrong community .... No wonder you don't want to run anymore.

Well, it is in the "long distance runners" group. We are definitely a fickle lot ;)

re: MPrunning.com: Coach Hadley is a bit of a controversial figure around here. His daughter is one of the top young runners in the country but folks seem to question whether he is pushing her too hard, too young (she qualified for the US Olympic Trials marathon at age 17). Hard to argue with the results though!
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I set out in 2013 to lose 90 pounds and run a marathon. I did just that, actually ran 2. My times were approx 3:45.

Over the winter, I did more quality work versus LSD, and this spring I have PR'd in the marathon 3 times. My last race was a 2 weeks ago and I ran a 3:31:28 at Carmel Indiana. But I need a 3:25 to BQ, and then have to get under enough to make the cut-off.

The problem though, I held a BQ through 21 miles at Carmel, but hit the wall and slogged through a couple 9 - 10 minute miles to finish. I also pulled a hamstring.

So I did improve 14 minutes over the winter, but I need about 7-8 minutes more. I'm getting closer, but still have some work to do. Going to work hard this summer to get faster. I'm 48, and will turn 49 before Boston 2015. I do believe though that I can sustain this for another 2 years, and qualify at 50. I'd be OK with that.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I set out in 2013 to lose 90 pounds and run a marathon. I did just that, actually ran 2. My times were approx 3:45.

Over the winter, I did more quality work versus LSD, and this spring I have PR'd in the marathon 3 times. My last race was a 2 weeks ago and I ran a 3:31:28 at Carmel Indiana. But I need a 3:25 to BQ, and then have to get under enough to make the cut-off.

The problem though, I held a BQ through 21 miles at Carmel, but hit the wall and slogged through a couple 9 - 10 minute miles to finish. I also pulled a hamstring.

So I did improve 14 minutes over the winter, but I need about 7-8 minutes more. I'm getting closer, but still have some work to do. Going to work hard this summer to get faster. I'm 48, and will turn 49 before Boston 2015. I do believe though that I can sustain this for another 2 years, and qualify at 50. I'd be OK with that.

Circle marathon?!? 1 mile loop??? I was going to do it but it was full!! I went to Kansas instead :) come up & run grandmas with me: I'll pace you to a BQ :P