Keto and Joint Pain

Options
Tanukiko
Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
Has anyone experienced any noticeable improvement in joint pain (knees/feet/ankles)? For the longest time I have felt some pain when I first wake up in my feet and also had creeky knees (which was really preventing me from doing some load exercises like squats and lunges). The knee pain/creeking is gone. I consider this to be a total miracle. Feet feel a little better, but I'm not sure if that's just wishful thinking.

Anyone have experienc with this?

Replies

• fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Keto is supposed to cut down on inflammation in the body, so you should feel less joint pain. It's a great benefit in addition to weight loss! :)
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've found that my "achy joint" syndrome is much diminished with a ketogenic diet. Also, I tend to drink more water which I think helps as well.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Inflammation is definitely lower in ketogenic state, I run half marathon's every weekend these days with out any problem, the body recovers very fast. I would never have dreamt something like that could be possible before I started doing the ketogenic diet.
  • lorarte
    lorarte Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't get the same pains or aches on Keto, but then I give up wheat at the same time and I know this causes all sorts of problems for me.
    I do feel like I have more energy and seem to recover faster from my workouts if that helps?
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Yeah I'm really encouraged by all the positive side effects so far. Losing weight is one thing, but feeling 10 years youngers is priceless. When I tell friends who ask what I am doing they all reacts so suspiciously, but none of them can deny how much more energetic I seem. That's something I've never had on any weight loss plan.
  • lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was taking meds for possible RA in my hands but as soon as I start keto I immediately notice an improvement, and I'm no longer on the meds :)
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was on two asthma drugs before starting keto and I have noticed I am not wheezing and here we are in the middle of "pollen season". I had not read that it affects asthma but since that is also an inflammatory disease it makes sense. Anyone else had decrease in their asthma?
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yep, no more achy breaky me! This is probably the main benefit of keeping on ketoing for me, now that I am at a good weight. My finger joints were getting sore, but that goes away when I stick to this WOE.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    I have inflammation and problems with my facet joints in my neck. It has virtually disappeared on Keto.
  • Cheesasaur
    Cheesasaur Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely! I have hypermobility syndrome so my joints are basically always going to be ****tier than normal, especially my hips. I wanted to lose weight initially to take stress off my joints as the pain was getting in the way of everyday life, but keto took care of my joint pain! I've only had to take a painkiller for joint pain once since starting keto about 6 weeks ago.
  • ALynnW82
    ALynnW82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to Keto. It has been 25 days and I have lost 21lbs. I also noticed the joint pain in my ankles, knees, and hands was getting better very quickly.. I forgot how painful it really was. Yesterday was my daughters birthday so I decided to have a cheat day. I still stuck to keto for the most part, but I did have a small portion of cake and ice cream and a s'more. This morning I could barely get out of bed, I have had a terrible headache all day, and so exhausted. I don't believe the cheat day was worth it.