Graduated C210K (5 Miles?)

Options
StephFork
StephFork Posts: 182 Member
I'm happy to report that I "graduated" C210K tonight. It felt SO good to run an hour straight but at the end I was only at 5 miles not 6.2. Guess it's time to work on speed. Does anyone have advice about how to train and gain speed after finally making it through the hour run?

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Just keep running! Speed will come with time. You need to build up a good running base before you start worrying about speed training. I don't think there are many of the ladies in this group have run 10k in an hour.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yup...just keep running and building mileage base. Don't worry about speed until you have been running at least a year.

At this point when I was running I decided to shift my runs around and start developing my long run....that is going to be your bread and butter run for a long time.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above. Build your base now, work on speed later.
  • StephFork
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. What do you mean by build my mileage base? Distance?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Mileage base is the average number of miles you run a week. It's the most important thing in distance running. How fast you are able to run, how far you are able to run, how easily you will be able to build up to a specific distance is all dictated by the miles you put on your shoes every week.

ETA - you want to be working toward 20 miles per week. That's the point where a long run (more than 90 minutes) and speed work are going to make a real difference.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. What do you mean by build my mileage base? Distance?

Basically more time on your feet. That includes building your long run but also more running days per week. This is establishing a good aerobic base. As you build up your long run remember not to make it a huge part of your weekly mileage. Ideally it should be 25% or less but up to a third of your weekly mileage is OK for a while. Right now I am doing a long run that's about 25% of my mileage per my coach. He is slowly increasing my weekly run distances as my long runs get longer.
  • StephFork
    Options
    Ok that makes since. I can/will run at least 4 days a week. I also run 1-2 miles a day on my off days with crossfit. Thanks!
  • rduhlir
    Options
    I actually never did a devoted C210K plan...I found this:

http://davidhays.net/running/buildingbase.html

That is how I got my milage up and how I went from running 4 days to 5 days. The plan is basically the same as all other training plans, except you do your increases in one lump sum every 4 weeks...this includes a scale back week right before your jump up again. So your schedule woule be:

0,4,2,0,4,0,6 (3 weeks, 16 miles total)
    0,2,1,0,2,0,3 (1 week scale back)
    0,4,2,0,5,0,8 (3 weeks, 19mpw)
    0,2,1,0,2,0,3 (1 week scale back)
    0,5,2,0,5,0,10 (3 weeks, 22mpw)
    0,3,1,0,3,0,5 (1 week, scale back)

And you just keep going until you get into the weekly mileage base of 20-25 mpw....or where you feel comfortable at. I personally am working back up to 25-30 mpw...and then will bring back speed work. I fell back due to an IT band issue in the beginning of the month and so slowly working my way back up....I am at 19 mpw currently.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Ok that makes since. I can/will run at least 4 days a week. I also run 1-2 miles a day on my off days with crossfit. Thanks!

You should count those miles you run during crossfit into your weekly total.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I've run 5 half marathons and average about 40-60 mpw but my 10k PR is still 61:00. You really have to decide if you want to build endurance or get faster. Fortunately both are accomplished simply by running more (increasing in a smart way; not too much too soon) just as many others mentioned above. Congrats and good luck!

(Side note: simply by increasing my run volume I shaved 8 minutes off my 10k time from Spring to Fall last year)
  • StephFork
    Options
    I'm loving all of this advice. I looked up a bunch of training programs with suggestions for endurance. I'm going to pace myself with training and give myself about 6 months to get ready.