Grad School, Stress, and Rewards

Options
Aurora1525
Aurora1525 Posts: 62 Member
I'm heading back to grad school next month for the second time. One Masters degree was not enough, apparently, to survive the recession :-D

In college, I rewarded myself for surviving hard days or getting through a tough project using food. My friends know exactly what I mean when I say it's going to be a "Cheesecake and Hugs Day." That's what I used to do - survive the day and treat myself to a nice slice of cheesecake.

I'm really worried about this time around since my new profession is going to be a lot more difficult for me than anything I've ever done before. For undergrad, I majored in photography, minored in literature. My first masters degree was in secondary English education. Art and English come naturally to me. Now I'm going back for a masters in Computer Science, which is the other end of the spectrum entirely. And I'm an attending an ivy league school for this degree so I know the work load/stress load is going to be massive. Every day will most likely receive a "Cheesecake and Hugs Day" label.

How can I reward myself for making it through the day (or surviving through the day) without some high calorie food? It's sort of all I know. I'd really like to stay at the weight I am at now (if not lose an extra 10 lbs) throughout grad school, since I worked so hard to get here. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Bump! I'm starting grad school in the fall, and I'm taking a calculus-based modeling and simulation class when I haven't taken a lick of math since freshman year of undergrad. I also used to reward myself with cheesecake from the Italian place down the street...or garlic knots. Haha
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm working on my masters in geochemistry. I reward myself with things that I REALLY want and have to work for.

Goal #1: Heart rate monitor.
    Goal # 2: Barefoot running shoes
    Goal # 3: gym bag.

Those are for my big goals (getting to my first scale weight, then pant size, etc).

I let myself have small goals i between as well.
    I worked out at least 3 times a week for a month I buy myself a new book.
    I completed Insanity, I bought myself New Rules of Lifting for Women. etc.

Smaller tangible objects that motivate me and keep me happy. I pick things I can get excited over and that motivate me to keep going. Manicures and pedicures aren't motivating...but I would consider a massage for completing NROL I think (I haven't decided when i'm getting yet). Hopefully, everyone has something they get excited for that's not food related. A new video game, movie etc. Mix it up, keep it fresh to help keep you moving.
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i'm finishing my doctorate in clinical psychology, so i know how stressful the workload of grad school can be and how good it can feel to reward yourself with cheesecake (or ice cream, in my case). however, i don't reward myself with food at all anymore - it's just not psychologically healthy for me. instead, i plan out healthy meals with the mindset that healthy food is fueling my brain.

in terms of rewards, i rely on things that i know will relieve stress. i will schedule workouts as a reward. other non-food rewards i like are buying a favorite magazine, watching i favorite TV show, scheduling a date with a friend or my fiance, and i splurge for a mani or pedi after finals each semester.

hope that helps!
  • bmcclar3
    bmcclar3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing up my master's in Public Health, and I am no stranger to rewarding myself with a pint of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream after a long and stressful day. I am still working on fighting the urge to reward myself with food but, when I have these urges I just think about what's more important (i.e eating that pint of ice cream or keeping the weight off).

Instead of looking to food as a stress reliever, I have been trying to find other healthier ways to relieve my stress. Playing outside with my favorite four legged friend Caesar is my best motivator to stay active. When I am around him it is easy to forget my worries and stresses...at least for an hour.
  • Aurora1525
    Aurora1525 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I applaud all of your choices of comfort food :-D

I like the idea of rewarding yourself by buying things you want. I've got my eyes on a pair of riding boots for fall/winter. Perhaps if I lose 5 lbs by October, I can treat myself.

I also love my dog. She definitely keeps me active (I'm a firm believer in walking your dog rather than putting them out in the yard). Grad school itself will also keep me active since it's a mile walk from the train station to class and another mile back....on top of all the dog walking I do.

Thanks everyone for the good ideas!
  • MissL5
    MissL5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm starting graduate school soon too in about a month here. I think about how I can really put my best foot forward in a new city, meeting new people, and a new, slimmer me. That makes me go grab some watermelon versus a bunch of chocolate. I want to be confident and keep developing good habits despite the stress of all the life changes! Good luck to you all. :)
  • WestCoaster831
    Options
    I see what you mean. I need my Sunday "Cheat Day" just to have a sense of reward. I'm currently in my first year of getting my Masters in Business Administration (my undergrad was Visual and Public Art-Emphasis in Museum Studies...very different!). After, I want to pursue a PhD in art history. Between working M-F 7:30 to 4:30, then having class after, I barley get anytime to myself or my husband. We eat VERY healthy most of the time, but working out has become a chore.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I reward myself with my "Cookie in a Cup" recipe I've altered to fit my Gluten Free needs, pretty much every day. In my final (crosses fingers) year of my soil science masters degree. I despise grad school so far, so here is to hoping I make it through without too many lost nights of sleep and sanity!
  • rhody_
    rhody_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think the hardest part of this journey to a healthier weight is having to rely on Dining Hall food. :/
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm an undergrad but I also reward myself with food. I reward myself with food choices instead of extra food. So my reward might be an ice cream or burrito but it replaces lunch so my calories don't fluctuate with reward.
  • helloreenie
    helloreenie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i'm getting my masters in education, so i get it. this is something i still struggle with. a little something i do that is still food-based is buy the mini chocolate peanut butter cups from trader joe's and you can eat like 27 of them as a serving and they're still less calories than a reese's. i often eat less than that serving size. i'm trying to not make this a regular practice, though.

doing my nails, talking on the phone with a friend, and picking something healthier to snack on like kale chips is also helpful. good luck on your degree!!
  • ashleigh315
    ashleigh315 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm also in graduate school and this has been something I've really struggled with also. I agree with the previous posters about using non-food items for rewards. On my rewards list I have new free weights, new skinny jeans, new bikini, etc. all things I REALLY want! If I HAVE to have a sweet treat I'll get something small - like a Skinny Cow ice cream.
  • kristinincursive
    Options
    I'm starting a PhD program in sociology in the Fall. My weight has always gone up and down but I find that when I have my eating habits under control, I start to feel like the rest of my life is in control as well. If I'm eating poorly, I start to feel like my life is spiraling out of control and I make other bad decisions (like not being as productive as I should be or being generally sad). So basically, eating healthy is a reward in itself for me. I used to use food as a punishment I think. If I was having a bad day or I was upset with myself I ate until it hurt. Applying for grad school was a really stressful process and I ended up letting it get to me and gaining upward of 25lbs. I know grad school is going to be even more stressful so I think it is a necessity that I continue my healthy eating habits. Not only is gaining weight unhealthy but it is mentally unhealthy and if I can't keep it reeled in, other parts of my life will suffer as well.
  • Poedaughter7
    Poedaughter7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am working on Grad School applications at the moment. Yet I still want to keep fit. I agree with the other posters that non-food items make the best rewards.