Need to tweak ratios for weight loss

Options
BanTami
BanTami Posts: 7 Member
It's been about two weeks and I only lost 4 pounds...not a lot considering how much I need to lose.

I didn't track my food or ratios properly but I'm sure I had way too much fat in the form of nuts and avocados.

So, after some calculations, I am aiming for 1225 calories (77g carbs / 138g protein / 41g fat).

Does this sound like a good ratio for weight loss?? I have more than 100 pounds to lose.

Replies

• 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week is a good speed of weight loss. Remember you didn’t gain all the weight over night it’s going to take time to loss it too. From the little info you gave I would say that you need to eat more than 1225 calories a day. Use an on-line calculator to find out how many calories a day your body is using just to do nothing, BMR and how many calories you are burning in a day, TDEE. Make your calorie goal a few hundred under your TDEE.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    First of all,your fat is very low in comparison to your protein..are you lifting a lot of weights?In primal/paleo,protein is moderate.
    Second,4lbs in 2 weeks is a very good loss in a short period of time.This woe is not about fast weight loss,it's about eating real foods,feeling better,healing ourselves and eventually the weight comes off as a side effect from eating better.
    Why are your calories so low?Are you exercising?Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. More calories and exchange some protein calories for fat calories.
  • BanTami
    BanTami Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The 4 pounds came off immediately after cutting grain, then nothing. As a weight loss veteran, I know that I usually lose more than that. But I admit, rethinking what normal weight loss should be, is hard for me.

I tried the higher fat, but I'm thinking its too many calories for my 5'2" over 50 body? Especially after doing a low calorie diet for several months in 2012.

I'm not lifting weights, I work outside in the garden and other routine chores when taking care of property, chickens and a house...not a fan of regimented workouts.

BMR 1893
    TDEE 2271

EDIT: but shouldn't I use my desired body weight to figure what my calorie intake should be?? If so, the numbers change substantially:

BMR 1135
    TDEE 1362

So, up the fat and lose some protein? Eek!!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You should not be eating under you BMR. Your TDEE - 20% and BMR are about equivalant. I would shoot for 2000 calories and if you want a bigger loss, move more! Especially, incorporate weight lifting (it will build more muscle which in turns burns more calories.)

Fat does not make you fat. Fat keeps you full. Carbs (ie sugars) raise insulin response and cause fat storage. It is hard to mentally digest at first but I promise you will likely feel better in the end.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    No, you do not use your desired weight to determine your needs. That would put you in too much of a deficit and cause your metabolism to slow down.

Here is some good information on why you don't want to go to low and things to focus on if you are struggling to lose weight.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/a-calorie-is-sometimes-not-a-calorie
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000 calories or more most days, so to me 1200 calories sounds crazy low. Remember, they don't recommend you go below 1200, because that is starvation mode. To me, being 1 calorie or so above starvation mode is not a place I'd want to take my body, and I'm sure it's nothing I could sustain long-term. If you go that low, are you prepared to eat that way forever? Because you will surely gain weight when you go back to "normal" eating. Two pounds a week is a great loss. For me, I only started losing weight when I cut out the grains, bumped the fat up to 50% (carbs 25%, and protein 25%). It's been about a two pound a week loss for me too. But I'm happy because it's sustainable.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    4 pounds in 2 weeks is not acceptable?

Eat more than 1200 calories. At least 2000 if you have 100 pounds to lose.

More fat, moderate protein, and low carb is the best for losing fat.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I know its a huge paradigm shift to think about getting energy from fat; but many of us find it very satiating and easier to cut weight setting our macros that way. Personally I dig high fat low carb paleo as a way to meet my goal of loosing fat while not loosing muscle. That said paleo is not a low carb diet. My whole family eats this way and my husband and kiddos eat the heck out of carbs and they all feel great.
    If you are wanting to try out a higher fat macro setting some things to add to your diet are; fatty meats like bacon and ribs, organ meats, animal fats, coconut products, ghee, avacado, fatty fish. Always eat fruits and lean meats with fat and you'll be amazed at how it balances out the blood sugar. Its also easy to ovetdoit on protein. Keep it below 30%. On days when I'm working out and doing physical work 30% still puts me at way too much protein. I try to never go over 100 grams and never under 80.
  • ellymaeclampett
    Options
    great reply, I like your post! I'm also having trouble getting my head around more fat and incorporating that into my diet. I'm a robot regarding always looking for lean meats and I need to change that way of thinking. I'm going to like this group!
  • washingtonred
    Options
    I'm 5'5", in the throws of menopause, and will 49 on May 3rd.

I use the TDEE -20%. My macros: 60%F 25%P 15%C

My BMR: 1619
    TDEE: 2226
    -20%: 1781 (I round up to 1800)

You can do this!!!!!! It took me some time to get over that eat very low calorie to lose weight mindset!!!!

Good luck,
    Red
  • MadoK
    MadoK Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How did you calculate or decide on your macros? Are you seeing a natural-path or nutritionist?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    How did you calculate or decide on your macros? Are you seeing a natural-path or nutritionist?

This isn't addressed to me... but I'd just like to say that the best way to determine macro settings imo is based on personal experience and one's own particular health and activity needs. Unfortunately much of the advice from nutritionists etc come from a "fat is bad" and "eat all the food groups" standpoint which most of us here have followed for years and have only gotten sick/fat because of it.

In other words: try different strategies. Stick with what works best for you.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The 4 pounds came off immediately after cutting grain, then nothing. As a weight loss veteran, I know that I usually lose more than that. But I admit, rethinking what normal weight loss should be, is hard for me.

When I started with Primal, I would lose a pound, then sit at that weight for a week, sometimes 2 or 3... the exact same damned weight to the ounce. Then all of a sudden, I'd drop a pound. I had 25 lbs to lose, and it took me a year.

I found that at 5'1, if I kept my cals between 1400-1700 I had a steady loss. But my TDEE story is different from yours since I started with 25 lbs to lose, and now have 10 more lbs to lose (again, dangit!).

Have patience. The proof is in the (paleo) pudding with the responses you're seeing here. We've all lost weight, some of the folks here have lost LOTs of weight, eating a high fat low carb diet. You will enjoy food more and be less likely to overeat.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I know its a huge paradigm shift to think about getting energy from fat; but many of us find it very satiating and easier to cut weight setting our macros that way. Personally I dig high fat low carb paleo as a way to meet my goal of loosing fat while not loosing muscle. That said paleo is not a low carb diet. My whole family eats this way and my husband and kiddos eat the heck out of carbs and they all feel great.
    If you are wanting to try out a higher fat macro setting some things to add to your diet are; fatty meats like bacon and ribs, organ meats, animal fats, coconut products, ghee, avacado, fatty fish. Always eat fruits and lean meats with fat and you'll be amazed at how it balances out the blood sugar. Its also easy to ovetdoit on protein. Keep it below 30%. On days when I'm working out and doing physical work 30% still puts me at way too much protein. I try to never go over 100 grams and never under 80.

this is helpful- thanks!