Atkins diet recommended for Diabetes?

Options
kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
Been looking at it, I need to get my carbs down. Feedback?

Replies

• Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Only a longterm induction phase of Atkins is effective with diabetes. That said, it must be accompanied by moderate protein, not high protein. Also, for most diabetics living on induction, we cannot use Net Carbs, but full carbs, because all carbs affect our blood sugar with few exceptions (avocado). For instance, any distention of the intestines will bring a release of insulin. Too much insulin, too much fat storage, too few nutrients enter our system. That means inflammation and higher blood sugar.

It will work, however. But, you must tweak it for your own individual diabetes. I'm on a low carb high fat diet, very similar to Induction. It has enabled me to come off of all medication and my blood sugar remains below 100 (usually much lower) when I do it right.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Only a longterm induction phase of Atkins is effective with diabetes. That said, it must be accompanied by moderate protein, not high protein. Also, for most diabetics living on induction, we cannot use Net Carbs, but full carbs, because all carbs affect our blood sugar with few exceptions (avocado). For instance, any distention of the intestines will bring a release of insulin. Too much insulin, too much fat storage, too few nutrients enter our system. That means inflammation and higher blood sugar.

It will work, however. But, you must tweak it for your own individual diabetes. I'm on a low carb high fat diet, very similar to Induction. It has enabled me to come off of all medication and my blood sugar remains below 100 (usually much lower) when I do it right.
    Oh wow, awesome, I will be talking to a nutritionist too. A good friend told me Atkins might help me and I was curious.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was able to come off insulin using low carb high fat. I have upped my carb intake some but try to not go over 50 total carbs a day. My fasting sugars are now in the 70s and 80s. I rarely break 100 two hours after meals now. I'm on no medications at all and all my lipids have improved markedly. I have so much energy now and feel great. My liver enzymes were also elevated. After eating low carb, they have returned to normal.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Also I saw these changes before any weight loss occurred with the exception of the liver enzymes. I had lost about 10 pounds since my previous blood draw.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks all, getting more evidence to support doing this, and I appreciate it. I will of course check with my dr first.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Atkins would work. It is extreme in my opinion, but there are those who do it long term with success. For me, a 15-20% carb limit works.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    There's been quite a bit of research done on various types of eating patterns for people with diabetes, and the end result is that each person is encouraged to find the eating pattern that works the best for them and that they can sustain long-term. A Mediterranean-style diet plan seems to be the best both for blood sugar control and for overall health, but again, individualizing the plan is key. Talk with a registered dietitian to get specific recommendations for your situation. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Ok thanks :)
  • kamaperry
    Options
    There's been quite a bit of research done on various types of eating patterns for people with diabetes, and the end result is that each person is encouraged to find the eating pattern that works the best for them and that they can sustain long-term. A Mediterranean-style diet plan seems to be the best both for blood sugar control and for overall health, but again, individualizing the plan is key. Talk with a registered dietitian to get specific recommendations for your situation. ~Lynn /Glucerna
    That's what I am planning.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options

Oh wow, awesome, I will be talking to a nutritionist too. A good friend told me Atkins might help me and I was curious.
    There is an Atkins book (or a few) specifically for diabetes - Atkins Diabetes Revolution is the one I have. I got one off eBay for a few bucks after checking it out from the library and finding it useful. It doesn't just talk about low carb in general but blood sugar and insulin and all that. I've also been able to find a lot of diabetes low carb and atkins books at Goodwill for cheap! I don't do the diet, but I have reduced my carbs so it's been helpful.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thank you! Going to the Library this weekend :)
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've had more success on a ketogenic diet than anything else I've ever tried in the last 5 years since I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. I love reddit's keto community, if nothing else the FAQ there is wonderful and would be relevant to the research it sounds like you're doing. http://reddit.com/r/keto/faq.

Good luck!
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks, been reading Dr Atkin's book this weekend, and pretty much decided to try it, makes alot of sense to me now that I have to count carbs. Worth a try I figure.
  • Gentyl
    Options
    I've been on a straight ketogenic diet (LCHF) for over a year now. The recipes are amazing. I can't think of a better way to eat. No more than 30 grams of carbs a day. There are even three types of bread recipes (gluten free) that we are allowed to have on Keto. Really delicious. I always feel like I'm "cheating on a diet" with all of the food I'm allowed to eat. Really delicious.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Do you all have a link for the Keto? Interested in learning about it.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I am sure there are books and such that could be recommended but I just use Reddit's Keto FAQ as my jumping off point. Its long, contains a lot of concise tips and lots of links to other resources with more in depth information.

http://reddit.com/r/keto/faq
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Gentyl
    Options

Look up bloodsugar101.com

Also, definitely get Dr. Bernstein's book "The Diabetes Solution". I think most of it can be read for free online.
  • kamaperry
    Options

Look up bloodsugar101.com

Also, definitely get Dr. Bernstein's book "The Diabetes Solution". I think most of it can be read for free online.
    Been looking at bloodsugar101.com, I will look up that book too.
    Right now reading "Atkins For Life" and it makes alot of sense.
  • rachelamedley5
    rachelamedley5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love Atkins I think it really helps to find what your level of carbs you can go to to keep bg under control. Mine is currently 30 but might be able to go up one day. I really like kalyns kitchen, alli dream about is food and élan as pantry. When you type the recipes in it works out carbs for you just subtract the fibre. I have tried a few low carb diets but Atkins is the only one I can do long term. South beach is too high carb for me. As soon as I fall off the wagon bg rockets and weight goes up. Good luck!!!