Reducing Sugar and Sodium Intake

Options
hobbesla4
hobbesla4 Posts: 20 Member
I am currently trying to do both of these. Do you know of any helpful tips or resources? Thank you!

Replies

• Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Stay away from ketchup. Lots of hidden sugar. Most condiments are bad. I personally can't give up soya sauce even though I should. Good luck.

Melanie
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    avoid canned good and get reduced sugar products
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I try to include lots of fresh fruits and veggies. So my way of doing that is to try to make half of meals veggies. Once I started doing that, I didn't go over my sodium even if I had a soda every now and then. When I gave up soda (unless it's a special treat) my I stopped tracking it completely because I never went over. Sugar was more difficult because I love fruit. Giving up soda definitely helped, but I was always still over. I gave up juice too because if I'm going to have sugar, I might has well have the fiber that comes with the actual fruit. That didn't necessarily cut down on it too much, but it helped with my other goals.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Stay away from ketchup. Lots of hidden sugar. Most condiments are bad. I personally can't give up soya sauce even though I should. Good luck.

Melanie

I agree... ketchup is particularly insidious. I'm so grateful my daughter doesn't care for it. When I think of all the zillions of children out there that love their ketchup and drowning their fries and such in it, I shudder. It's amazing to me how someone could take something as innocent and healthy as a tomato and turn it into something so bad for you.

Start looking for the hidden sugars in everything, there are many different names for it. You will be stunned.

I like canned veggies but I always look for the reduced salt varieties.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It depends on why you are giving up sugar. Are you trying to get rid of the craving for sugar? If so, you may want to limit some fruit for a while but I'd do some studying on natural sugar and your brain before getting too extreme. If you are trying to give up processed sugar it's easiest to start out with obvious sources (sodas, cakes, pies, sweets, candy, condiments) and then move to less obvious (pasta, bread, simple carbs, etc). Good luck. It's not easy. I've tried for months at a time but still haven't overcome the craving.
  • hobbesla4
    hobbesla4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In response to your question about why I am giving up sugar or trying to reduce intake of it, I have had a recent cancer diagnosis and the nutritionist that I consulted recommended lots of dietary modifications, including limiting red meat, sodium, sugar, dairy and eating more vegetables and fruit. Trying to give up so many things at once is kind of overwhelming...ugh.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am sorry about your diagnosis. ???? I hope that everything that is being done for you as well as your new improved eating habits will make the difference for you and that your health will improve. ???? Please let us know how you are adapting to your new diet.