(possibly dumb question) Do I need to eat more?

Options
Caeyla
Caeyla Posts: 42 Member
Here are my numbers for today:

Total Calories: 1128
Net carbs: 15
Protein: 96
Fat: 73

100 minutes exercise...40 cardio, 60 strength training

I don't usually worry about it, but I've been working out more, and I'm trying to lose weight and build a little muscle. I'm not hungry, and wasn't planning on eating any more tonight, but would it be beneficial if I did?

For reference, I'm 39 f / 5'10" / 227 lb

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Yes way more even with out working out.
  • Caeyla
    Options
    I've been lurking a lot lately...maybe too much? I figured you were going to reply, and that's what you were going to say! lol
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    He's right though. You need to eat more, especially if this represents your average day. If this is just one super-low day in calories, no big deal. We all have days when we just aren't ourselves. But, you shouldn't be eating this low regularly. Add into things an exercise regime and you need way more.
  • Caeyla
    Options
    That's been pretty routine for me lately, give or take a couple hundred calories. I did eat more last night and got my total over 1500, and I'm going to try to add a bit more to each meal to avoid trying to stuff myself right before bedtime again lol.
  • morekettlebell
    Options
    Yes. No less than 1200 even if you aren't exercising. Also, I notice when my fat intake is higher, I lose more. Since fat calories are more dense, it could help you with calories and percentages to eat some fatty protein meal (bacon?). When my protein grams are almost equal to my fat, I fall out of ketosis. I'm a distance runner and eat around 1500 calories a day for steady weight loss. My macro goals are Fat:65 Protein:30 Carb:5. These numbers have helped me lose and simultaneously decrease my body fat % and build muscle mass.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Glancing at your food diary, I'd also suggest bumping your fat up and cutting back on the protein slightly. Think cream cheese, butter, bacon, mayo, avocado, coconut oil, etc. I try to shoot for more fat than protein on a daily basis.
  • Caeyla
    Options
    I usually aim for 65/30/5, and try too make sure I don't get excessive protein on days that I'm not lifting. Every time I've done low carb/keto, I've hit a point like this--where I just don't feel hungry that often, so i don't eat enough. I'm trying to do better with it this time, especially since I've started strength training. I did add 1/2 an avocado today at lunch when I normally would've just had the chicken, and I'm planning on a fatty, yummy, cheese-laden spinach artichoke side dish with dinner tonight.

Thanks so much to everyone that replied for helping me. :-)