Marathon Shirt

Options
HappyRunner34
HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
Mostly for men I guess; what shirt, do you or are you going to, wear for your marathon? Almost all my technical shirts come from previous races (10K and Half); so I haven't actually bought one in a long time. But I thought I'd drop a little cash on a good cool comfy shirt for my marathon in 53 days (but who's counting).
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Replies

• bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Well, I have boobs and lady bits, so am not your target audience here, but would say just run in a shirt in which you've run long before, just to avoid discovering chafing issues on race day!
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I tend to wear a base layer. No nipple rub but I suppose not particularly cooling
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Nothing new on race days!!! I spend the training leading up wearing the clothing I'm gonna run in (on race day) eating the energy chews I'm bringing and if I don't like what they will be handing out for hydration during the race I'll train with my own.

It's all about no surprises and being sure everything you do will be fine for the length of the marathon.

That being said, probably a tech shirt and while I don't normally use bandaids over my nipples if I have a tech shirt, I'm considering the need. My weekend runs leading up to the marathon will confim/discount the need.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I normally wear an UA compression shirt for anything longer than ~15 miles; you can also use that as a base layer under another shirt. I do have a Brightrunning shirt that has a coating on the inside that prevents chafing as well but it is a little on the heavy side.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Marathon? Singlet.
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Base layer of Body Glide on all the unmentionables + a wicking tank top. I run really hot year-round so a tank top is always my go-to. Plus a sports bra, of course, but I realize I'm not your target audience. :)
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    If it's hot, I wear a singlet and use tape or nipguards for the nipples. Otherwise I wear a compression shirt to avoid chafing.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Marathon? Singlet.

Ditto. If it's cool at the start, I'll wear arm warmers too (don't judge! :happy: )
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Whatever you buy do some of your training runs in it. I don't buy tech shirts anymore as I am drowning in them from all my races...
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Mostly for men I guess; what shirt, do you or are you going to, wear for your marathon? Almost all my technical shirts come from previous races (10K and Half); so I haven't actually bought one in a long time. But I thought I'd drop a little cash on a good cool comfy shirt for my marathon in 53 days (but who's counting).
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Based on the advice I read at fellrnr.com, I bought a long sleeve and short sleeve "heat gear" shirts.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/UnderArmour_HeatGear_Top

They are very tight fitting and they work very, very well. As fellrnr says, they feel a bit warm for a few seconds but, after that, they wick sweat away very quickly. There have been times when I feel cold running in these shirts even though the temps were in the 70's and the humidity was in the 50's.

One issue - they're compression tops made of a thin fabric so if you're concerned about people seeing the shape of your torso, this is not the shirt for you. If not, they're superb.

Edit - my avatar shows me wearing a singlet 'cause that was before I found the UA shirts.
  • tjw00
    tjw00 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Never anything new. In warm weather: old tech shirt, and moleskin plus cut as nip guards. In cold weather: 2XU compression top and bottom.
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies. I ended up getting an addidas climacool shirt on sale. Gonna start running in it now (a month before marathon day) so it wont be new! Appreciate the feedback!
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Sorry you wasted your money on the ClimaCool shirt. This time of year it is not the shirt that should cause you any concern. Consider what you wear below your shirt!

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/should-men-wear-shorts-while-running

I am convinced, my next marathon will be sans shorts!
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I wear mostly previous race shirts. My favorite shirt was a technical t shirt that my daughter silk screened. On the front she put WAYNE in big letters. On the back she put that big slow moving triangle you see on slow moving equipment like tractors. During that marathon I got cheers and support the entire way. Everybody yelled "Go Wayne". Though the cheers were a bit contrived, it was great fun. The slow moving symbol got lots of laughs during the race. I ran a little over four hours that day and I felt like a slow moving vehicle.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Arm warmers and singlets are something I could never pull off. T shirt and long sleeve are my only options.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I've worn a singlet for all of my marathons thus far, though I paid for it at Boston this year as I didn't sunblock up and so I have a singlet shaped tan now.

I've ordered a UA Heatgear Sonic fitted long sleeve shirt to see if it's light enough to wear when it's warm and sunny without suffocating. Haven't gotten it yet, but I have some hope that it will work.

I use Nexcare waterproof tape as pasties just about any time I'm wearing a shirt when I run.