Running 2 sessions back to back

Options
adeo1234
adeo1234 Posts: 16 Member
Hi everyone :smile:

I was wondering if anyone repeats sessions back to back. I've been doing the C25k app on a treadmill/park and realised that each time I completed a session (26 mins) and I only ran 3.3km. So for the past couple of weeks I've been running sessions twice so that I run over 5k.

Should each c25k session cover the 5k distance? I might be going about this the wrong way.

Thanks!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hmm, the plan aims to get you to running for 30 minutes continuously, or 5Km continuously, by the end of the 9 weeks, or however long you take to get there. Most sessions will be somewhere between 25 and 40 minutes in duration, but depending on the run/ walk periods, your own speed and the terrain that you're running over you'll do a range of different distances. The point is not to run 5Km every session.

It's a progressive development of your capacity and capability, with some of the effect being the physiological adaptation to running in your muscles, bones and connective tissues.

If you're new to running, but otherwise have a reasonable level of CV fitness, then you clearly have the capacity to repeat the session, but you are exposing yourself to some risk of overuse injury, and compromising your form towards the end of the second session.

It's not a question of not doing it, but you shouldn't need to.
  • adeo1234
    adeo1234 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you MeanderingMam!

I am new to running so I might cut down slightly and do one session at a time. I'm not sure where I got the idea that I should be running a 5k in each session from. My work are hosting a 5.6k race and I just want to make sure I have the endurance to run the whole distance as I seem to be taking slightly longer then the C25k sessions.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on running for 26 minutes straight!

The C25K program is meant to get you running for up to 30 minutes at a time. You won't be able to run 5K in that 30 minutes when you finish the program.
    However, you'll have the stamina and ability to increase your time until you can run 5K (you could do it now....it's a mental push to keep running and not stopping). Then, over time, you'll naturally speed up and (maybe) one day you'll be able to run 5K in 30 minutes. I've been running for a bit over a year now and I still can't run 5K in 30 minutes. I hope to get there sometime in the next year. I'm older, though, so it takes longer for me (that's my "excuse", anyway :smile: ).
    The main thing is to have fun and stick with it. You're doing great.
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I usually do the session, and then keep on walking until I hit the 5km (usually at about 44 minutes).
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    You won't be able to run 5K in that 30 minutes when you finish the program.

Might be able to...
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    My work are hosting a 5.6k race and I just want to make sure I have the endurance to run the whole distance as I seem to be taking slightly longer then the C25k sessions.

I wouldn't worry, you should be fine. Speed comes in time anyway.