Bacon

kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
Ok I keep seeing people, especially on facebook groups, talking about eating bacon, bacon, bacon. When i doubt eat bacon. well thats great but how do you eat bacon and keep your protein low???

I tried to make one of those weaved bacon things today and blew my protein macros for the day. It was tasty though :tongue:

Replies

• debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    I keep forgetting to add the fat renderings to my diary, Krista. When I do, my FAT intake is a LOT higher than my protein intake (which it SHOULD be). That makes me happy, and now I don't forget to add the olive oil or coconut oils when I prepare my meals. Grrreat question :)
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    I looked a few days at your diary and noticed your protein wasn't too high at all. Bodybuilders do low carb diets and probably average twice as much protein. Not sure why you are that concerned.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    I looked a few days at your diary and noticed your protein wasn't too high at all. Bodybuilders do low carb diets and probably average twice as much protein. Not sure why you are that concerned.

She's probably concerned about gluconeogensis where the amino acids in the protein can get converted by the body to glucose. That can prevent people from being in full ketosis. She's made posts before about her low blood ketone levels, so I'm assuming she's looking at all possible reasons that might hinder her weight loss with this way of eating.
  • Booksandbeaches

She's not a body builder though. :smile: As a woman sort of in the same age range, I can't eat the protein level of an adult male who is into body building. When I go above say 70 grams of protein a day, I stall in my weight loss.
  • kristafb
    Most definitely NOT a body builder, lol I'm following macros of 5% carbs, 15% protein & 80% fat, trying to get my ketone readings higher like BooksandBeach said. When my protein was higher I did stall. I've finally started seeing a few small losses so the lower protein is working for me. If I was following a low carb diet I wouldn't be concerned but this is a ketogenic diet, which is a lot different than low carb,
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Ok I keep seeing people, especially on facebook groups, talking about eating bacon, bacon, bacon. When i doubt eat bacon. well thats great but how do you eat bacon and keep your protein low???

I tried to make one of those weaved bacon things today and blew my protein macros for the day. It was tasty though :tongue:

Keto is not meant to be a low protein diet. Too low of protein and you risk muscle wastage. That's not the kind of scale loss you want to see.
  • kristafb

Keto is not meant to be a low protein diet. Too low of protein and you risk muscle wastage. That's not the kind of scale loss you want to see.

Skoster, when I had my protein set to 20% people kept telling me to lower it. I'm confused about protein to be honest. I can do 5% carbs no problem, but I am often over my protein when its set at 15%. What are your numbers set at?
  • Skoster1

Skoster, when I had my protein set to 20% people kept telling me to lower it. I'm confused about protein to be honest. I can do 5% carbs no problem, but I am often over my protein when its set at 15%. What are your numbers set at?

First, percentages are useless for the most part. Think in gram amounts (better yet, the calories those grams translate to).

My numbers are:
    Fat: 110g
    Protein: 111g
    Carb: 23g

That translates to the useless (for you) percentages of 65/29/6 but it makes no difference what the percentages are because my weight and body composition are different from yours so it would be worse than useless to use my percentages.

I'm currently watching my blood/ketones numbers and increasing protein due to my exercise regime, I expect to end up somewhere around 1g/lb LBM (or about 140g protein with percentages of 57/37/6). Will these numbers be of any use to you? Not in the slightest. I'm doing this because, after listening to a variety of people and a different opinion from each, I realized I just needed to go to the sources and read the studies (I'm a Speech Language Pathologist, so I asked some Physical Therapist friends to print me off some studies from journals to which they subscribe).

I recently realized that the best piece of advice I can give is to do the reading. Your body and health is the best investment you can make of your time, energy and money. Don't skimp on it by going with what I say, or anyone else randomly on the internet. You want the full fat cream of the information, not the skim milk I can offer you. Become an expert on you and on your biology. It might mean working through some science, but you can do it. If you don't understand something read it again, pretending you're in school and studying for an exam. I totally believe in you!!

On the other hand, if you don't want to do all that work, use this calculator:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Set the protein somewhere in the middle of the range they give you. Will it be optimal? Nope. Will it be within range? Probably, it depends on how accurate your information is which you're putting in and also on your specific body, you'll need to test your blood on a consistent basis to find out.

In any case, make whatever decision you're going to make and then stick with it for at least 3 months regardless of what the scale says or what anyone else says. See what happens. Remember that the tortoise ALWAYS wins in the end.
  • rauljg42
    rauljg42 Posts: 30
    I eat bacon almost everyday. I need the high protein as I lift a lot of weights to build muscle. I would have to say that building muscle would probably help in losing weight more so then just doing cardio. Don't buy into myth that women will get bulky. My wife trains too and it has helped her tremendously. She also on same diet with high protein. Generally 1 gram of protein for every lb in weight.
  • Skoster1
    I eat bacon almost everyday. I need the high protein as I lift a lot of weights to build muscle. I would have to say that building muscle would probably help in losing weight more so then just doing cardio. Don't buy into myth that women will get bulky. My wife trains too and it has helped her tremendously. She also on same diet with high protein. Generally 1 gram of protein for every lb in weight.

For every lb or every lb of LBM? There's a big difference, and if you're doing it for every lb then, depending on your BF%, you might well be going way over your needs and falling out of ketosis.
  • Booksandbeaches

I don't buy into that "women get bulky lifting" myth at all. I've done the P90X and am now doing the P90X3, but I do find if I go above a certain protein level *for me*, I don't lose weight on a LCHF diet.
  • kristafb
    First off, thank you all for your feed back. I learn something new everyday from you all!

Skoster - I am constantly reading about this WOE, always on the RULEDME or Reddit/keto sites or on youtube watching various videos etc. I am learning pretty quickly what works for one doesn't work for all. I have to keep in mind that for me this is especially true as I have PCOS which makes it that much harder to lose.

I have not started doing strength training, only walking & a bit of jogging (slow still but trying). Its something I want to do but I'm unsure where to start. I don't go to the gym and although I have quite a few pieces of exercise equipment at home most are cardio related (treadmill,stationary bike, elliptical, some wii work out games). I have started doing a few pushups, squats,& such not not regularly. I was told years ago by a doctor that because I have higher levels of Testosterone (due to PCOS) that my muscles would bulk up faster than a womans normally would and I am a bit muscley despite not working out much

ALso I redid the Keto calculator and my numbers look good so I'll stick with them for a while, perhaps even up my protein a bit (the calcutor said 22% and I had lowered it to 15% so I may put it back up a bit after a couple of weeks and see what happens. I'm trying to stick with my macros for a couple of months to see if results will happen before messing with them again.
  • Skoster1
    I have not started doing strength training, only walking & a bit of jogging (slow still but trying). Its something I want to do but I'm unsure where to start. I don't go to the gym and although I have quite a few pieces of exercise equipment at home most are cardio related (treadmill,stationary bike, elliptical, some wii work out games). I have started doing a few pushups, squats,& such not not regularly. I was told years ago by a doctor that because I have higher levels of Testosterone (due to PCOS) that my muscles would bulk up faster than a womans normally would and I am a bit muscley despite not working out much.

I was really hesitant to start working out, primarily because of going to a gym. I found a place I can do it privately and that's made the difference for me. Granted, what I have to work with isn't optimal, but eventually I'll end up in a real gym with barbells instead of only machines. We all work with what we have.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about bulking, it's actually pretty hard to do. Body builders spend massive amounts of time and energy getting things exactly right to put on mere extra centimeters of muscle mass.

I will say that if the scale is most important to you, exercise may not be your friend. My body is changing significantly but my scale numbers have slowed down since I started working out. I'm just as happy with this, but I can see how someone whose focus in purely on the scale might not be. Personally, I take the long view that the scale slowing down is a good thing because it means I am building the muscle which will burn the calories I need to burn when I end up back at maintenance. The last thing I want to do is end up with unsustainable maintenance needs because I don't have enough muscle to support a sustainable caloric intake.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    I make bacon cheeseburgers, cauliflower and "mac and cheese" with bacon, bacon wrapped jalepnos stuffed creamcheese poppers. You should google.