Diabetic fatigue

Options
kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
Anyone else get it? I am wondering if it is related to my breakfast? I usually eat instant oatmeal(yeah prob bad I know, but is quick for work) and fruit. Sometimes a hard boiled egg too. Could this make me sleepy?

Replies

• 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When my blood glucose used to be high, I would get so tired and sleepy.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    When my blood glucose used to be high, I would get so tired and sleepy.
    Wondering if it is the sugar and carbs in the oatmeal.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this link below is helpful to you and others, in addressing the feeling of tiredness and fatigue that you and other diabetics experience too.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/tiredness-and-diabetes.html
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Hopefully this link below is helpful, in addressing the tiredness and fatigue that you and other diabetics also experience.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/tiredness-and-diabetes.html
    Thanks!
  • karenfallison
    karenfallison Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use the old fashioned oatmeal or steel cut oats. I find that the old fashioned oats are better for me , it's more bang for the buck! I cook mine in water, add Splenda brown sugar (1 teaspoon) with cinnamon and 1/4 cup of milk. It tastes better that the instant and it lasts you until lunch usually.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeals - especially the flavored kinds - generally have added sugars, in addition to the carbs

plain Old fashioned/steel oats are a better choice - I am on a steel oats kick right now, I make a batch up in the crockpot, add fruit/spices and then measure/portion them out in tupperware - and breakfast is taken care of without having to think about it for the week
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Any kind of cereal or oatmeal spikes my BG (which can make you tired). I prefer bacon and eggs; very few carbs and a lot more tasty!
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, steel cut or otherwise, is not a very diabetic friendly food. For me, it would give me a rapid blood sugar rise. This causes great fatigue and even sleepiness. The body is using all of it's energy to get those blood sugars down, so it leaves very little energy for the basic things in life. Since our internal meter is broken, it's a double whammy because we can't get our blood sugars down fast enough. It takes a while--more fatigue. If you are on insulin, that means more insulin. If you are not, your body is then trying to produce insulin, and it's ineffective insulin (which is why it takes so long to bring those blood sugars down). The more insulin, the more fat storage. That's insulin's secondary job; it's the primary hormone that stores fat.

Eggs are great for breakfast. Maybe you can add some other protein to that. A glass of unsweetened Almond Milk is also a bonus. With all that B-12, it makes me happy. :)

Diabetes means that you are carbohydrate intolerant. What used to give you energy before no longer can. Our meter is broken. :(
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks all. I need to get away from this instant stuff I see. Also time for batch cooking again, including breakfast. Thanks for all the helpfyl info, gues I will make oatmeal a less often food, much as I love it.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Instant oatmeals - especially the flavored kinds - generally have added sugars, in addition to the carbs

plain Old fashioned/steel oats are a better choice - I am on a steel oats kick right now, I make a batch up in the crockpot, add fruit/spices and then measure/portion them out in tupperware - and breakfast is taken care of without having to think about it for the week
    This sounds yummy!
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I make enough oatmeal for the week and just warm up each morning. I just add cinnamon and chopped apple.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    I make enough oatmeal for the week and just warm up each morning. I just add cinnamon and chopped apple.
    That sounds awesome, I need to do that.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    That sounds awesome, I need to do that.
    And what kind of oatmeal?
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If you look online there are many recipes for making oatmeal, both old fashion oats and steele cut oats, over night or in large batches that can be warmed up each day. There are no-cook recipes for old-fashioned oats as well. You can test your BG after eating oatmeal and see if it has an adverse affect on you, everyone is different.
  • swalewis
    swalewis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'll throw in a quick recommendation because I have found that the glycemic index/load matters for me. The type of oatmeaI matters less than what I eat it with, so I combine it with fat/protein. I've had some success with baked oatmeal, both for not spiking BG and still tasting good. There are lots of recipes out there, but my favorite variation is to use use old fashioned oats, eggs, oil, vanilla and milk. I bake a batch in a 9x13 pan and cut it into 12-16 portions, then freeze individually and reheat in the microwave for an instant breakfast.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!