HM just over 5 weeks away.....

Options
wiginn
wiginn Posts: 147 Member
My second HM is the first weekend in May and I have been seriously lacking on my running. My first HM was last May (same one). I have no problem walk/running it, but would really like to improve on my time from last year. Any tips for getting my head back in the game and getting back on track (no pun intended)?

Replies

• RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I would say a.) increase your total weekly volume and respect your long run and b.) try to incorporate speed work into your training or try to run the last few miles of your runs at goal pace, starting them at your comfortable training pace. Every since I started running 15-20 milers I have been PR'ing my half marathon times.

Are you doing a dedicated run walk training? Like a Galloway 4:1 or 3:1? I think if you go into a race with the expectation that you'll be walking some of it vs. walking when you're completely burned out and exhausting is more motivating to keep running during the run intervals and only walk during the walk intervals. Whereas if you're completely burned out and stop to walk it's very difficult to run again...

Just my two cents and experience...
  • bmondloch
    bmondloch Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I walked the Biggest Loser HM in Las Cruces NM in January. I do not run due to back issues causing pain when I run. I use the MapMyWalk app on my iphone. I have it set to give my pace every 1/2 mile. It also will play any playlist you have on your phone. MapMyWalk can also sync with MFP. It does it for me. I try to keep lowering my pace time but I walk at about a 12:30 min\mile pace and my legs can't really go any faster. I walk 3 mile everyday at lunch so doing a 5K race would be no fun anymore. My HM time was 2:47. That was 5th overall in the walking division, 1st in my age group. I also saw quite a few runner that were walking along the way. You did not say if there was a time limit for your HM. Many HM's are walker friendly as long as you can finish in the alloted time. You have to decide if you are going to run the whole thing as a goal or if you are going to walk some of it as part of your plan. Either way you need to get out there and train so that your body is used to the activity. Best of luck.
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your suggestions. I have no problem with some walking and my running pace is fairly slow...I really just need to get moving in the next few weeks so I am more prepared. A friend of mine just decided to sign up for this too. It'll be her first and perhaps having a training partner will boost my motivation too.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Wiginn, how is your training going?

Where is your half? Are you doing Flying Pig in Cinci or Indy Mini? I was going to do Flying Pig, but decided to save those hills for when I'm more experienced.

Good luck!