Stuck on Atkins

Options
HI,

I have been on Atkins for about 3 mos. and have been stuck for 6 weeks. Up one pound, down a lb and then back up. I am not one that likes protein but I am able to stick on this plan because I don't cheat. I aim for around 1100-1200 calories a day and 20 grams of carbs from mostly salad. I also exercise 5-6 days a week.

Any suggestions to get the scale to start moving again? I have lost 30 and have 15 lbs to go and am getting frustrated but trying to stay patient. Are there foods that you have lost best on?

Would also love to connect with others following this plan for the long term. I am totally a carb lover so struggling with the thought of a permanent low carb lifestyle! But, I really do enjoy my smaller clothes! :)

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I started off my low carbing with Atkins years ago, so am very familiar w/ the plan. I don't know your weight or height but I really think your calories are far too low. I know it doesn't seem to make sense to eat more to lose, but if you're exercising and restricting your fuel to that low a level, your body will fight to give up any of it's fat stores.

The beginning stages of Atkins (and the level of carbs that you're eating right now) put you in a ketogenic state. Check out this calculator to see where your calories and macros should be for optimal weight loss: http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

Without seeing your food diary, I can't really make any other suggestions, but you may want to review your fat intake as well. That may be where you add in your additional calories to get things moving for you again.

Hope that helps!
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on your 30lb loss! It's a great accomplishment. Well done!

I agree, not enough calories. You've likely slowed your metabolism by eating so little plus exercising. Bad combo. You'll need to eat a lot more to get your metabolism going again, may gain a few pounds back in the process, but you'll quickly lose it again. Do you know your BMR and TDEE? It's better to eat enough calories to be between your BMR and TDEE.

You could try doing some fat bombs to see if the scale will move any, but not eating enough is likely the problem.

I'm not following atkins (or any one plan for that matter), but I believe you should be out of induction phase and eating between 25-45 carbs daily, right? Eating so little carbs daily is not good long term. Please read the topic "Ketosis/Ketoacidosis, extra info to share..." posted/pinned in this form, if you haven't already. Good carbs to add to your diet are berries, avocados, most veggies, and nuts. And of course, eating whole foods is better than processed foods or foods with added sugar to rev up your metabolism.

Feel free to add me. I'm also trying to make low carb a lifestyle. I've learned over the past 2.5 years, low carb is what my body prefers and I need to make it work long term.

Good luck!
  • Rockerbaby187
    Rockerbaby187 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other two posts. You should be eating more calories. You might gain at first but it will come back off. Eating below 1200 calories could put yourself into starvation mode and you won't lose anything...
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other two posts. You should be eating more calories. You might gain at first but it will come back off. Eating below 1200 calories could put yourself into starvation mode and you won't lose anything...
    ^^ This.

Unless you're INCREDIBLY tiny or have a serious metabolic disorder, you need considerably more than 1,200 calories. Especially if you have weight to lose. So unless you're a 4-foot tall 65 year old with hypothyroidism, please eat more.

Some will suggest there's no such thing as "starvation mode" - but it DOES exist. The proper medical terminology is 'Adaptive Thermogenesis'. If you google it you'll find considerable information that shows that adaptive thermogenesis could be exactly what's causing the weight-loss problems you're experiencing.