MFP not giving accurate "credit" for C25K workout

Options
mom2tripsn2
mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
So, while I know this isn't really the point, I am just sort of curious if anyone else notices that MFP seems to really short change you on the cardio credit from your workout?? Today I did W2D3, which totals to walking 22 minutes and running 9 minutes. I tracked my distance to be 2.2 miles (and did it two different ways to be sure I was tracking correctly). Well, when I synced to MFP it gives me "walking at 3mph" and "jogging at 5.2mph". Based on that, my distance would only be 1.88 miles...1/3 of a mile less than what I actually did ?? So, okay...maybe that's just the closest it can get me...I can get over that. But then, for calories burned it gives me credit for 150...but if I select the EXACT SAME activites directly through MFP rather than synced from C25K, it says I burned 213 (see below). I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or knows why this might be....thanks in advance!!

Your Exercise Diary for: Friday, April 25, 2014  Cardiovascular Minutes Calories Burned
Running (jogging), 5.2 mph (11.5 min mile) 9 62 
Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog 22 88 
Running (jogging), 5.2 mph (11.5 min mile) 9 112 
Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog 22 101 

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    In general, MFP's exercise calories burned are high. Given a choice, I'd log the calories from the C25K app you're using.
    I always log the calories burned recorded on the treadmill or my GPS watch; not MFP. I think it's more accurate.
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the MFP C25K calories are super super low. According to my HRM, I burn around 600 calories on the week 7-8 runs, but according to MFP I get barely half that!

I always follow my HRM.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I always do a flat 100 calories/mile.

One discrepancy is that MFP credits you only for the additional calories from exercise since it's already accounted for the "just being alive for 30 minutes" calories.

Your HRM likely counts the BMR calories as well.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    When I did C25K I made my own exercises and labelled them "C25K Week 1" or "C25K Week 2"... then just logged whatever was on my phone or on the treadmill.