Paleo Pup?

Options
ksellen1
ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
So my pup (she's 4.5) has always had a sensitive stomach. Over the last few months she's started throwing up in the mornings periodically, sometimes 2-4 times a week. I found out she has something called Gastroenteritis, which is basically stomach inflation. I'm considering moving her to a strict primal diet. I eat that way...why shouldn't she? Thoughts?

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I heard about a guys who's cat was having kidney failure and the vet wanted the cat off of high protein foods (like fish), the guy was Paleo so like anyone with a brain he knew cats needs protein so he took him off the regular cat food and put it on all meat, the cat is still around 3 years later. Why the heck not put him on it most dog food is full of grains.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My Staffordshire (in my ticker) eats a raw diet. When I got sick and had to go gluten free, I figured - if I can't eat it, why would I give it to my pet? He's been on it since he was a year old and has no problems. His coat is nice and shiny, his mouth doesn't stink, his teeth are nice and white. He rarely has gas, and the potty clean up is minimal.

My previous dog (Italian greyhound) had all sorts of bowel issues when he was alive and a nasty mouth no matter how much dental work he had done. I wish I could go back in time, I would have given him a raw diet too. I now know all his suffering was from the corn and gluten in his dry "high end" kibble :brokenheart: .

I would give it a try and see how she does.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Our baby (she's a boxer) has a sensitive tummy too but we feed her grain free food and get the best quality we can find at a reasonable price. She is completely happy and healthy, we also try not to change her flavor or brand very often.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I feed both my cats and my dog a grain free diet. I buy Earthborn Holistic for my dog and Wellness cor for my cats. My dog had skin issues and I know my skin got better when I went primal so I thought, why not? Her skin issues cleared up with in a few months.

My theory is that we don't eat certain foods because they are bad for us, why should we feed it to our animals. There are loads of grain free foods on the market to try out. Good luck :)
  • pbjonrye
    pbjonrye Posts: 25
    Options
    You can do a "bland diet" consisting of some white rice and ground meat. I homecook for my dogs and they're meals are pretty much Paleo. (snacks, not so much). Hope your pooch feels better soon!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Evo dog food is a very paleoish dog food. Arcana pacifica is a close second. I have a lab that get chronic ear infections unless she is on one of those two foods.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My dog and cat were "paleo" before I was. I feed them raw food K9/Feline Natural or B.A.R.F. If my dog eats grains she gets sooo sick. My vet guilt tripped me into feeding her grains as a pup and her health went down hill. Gas so bad it could clear a room, bloating so bad her skin on her tummy was shinny it was stretched so tight and diarrhea...omg the diarrhea. It was reversed as soon as I removed it.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Dogs are carnivores and genetically are the same as their wild ancestors. Sure wolves/wild dogs eat a bit of grass and berries but very little. Carnivores. They are not meant to eat wheat, corn, potatoes, rice, canola, soy, etc. They are actually meant to eat raw fresh animals.

I feed my dogs some raw meat but because my access is limited I do also give them a zero grain, organ meat based dry dog food. Not ideal but the lesser of the evils.

PS it drives me CRAZY when vets get people to reduce protein and fat (grain carbs through the roof!) for sick/fat pets (that are carnivores). Kidney problems are related to high carbs even in humans! What cat/dog ever was adapted to that kind of diet! Arghh...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    When I got my first dog after being on my own, I, of course, gave them standard pet food (Purina dog chow). That "worked" for a while, in the sense that it didn't cause any major medical issues, but he always had a sensitive stomach and was prone to having loose stools (to put it nicely). We also had trouble with his teeth, and with him getting into the trash. The vet wanted to put him under and do a scaling, but that was really expensive, and he hated the vet with the passion of a thousand suns (he was a rescue and had worms while in the shelter, so probably didn't have great experiences). So, we tried brushing his teeth, but that worked for all of a week, and we started trying the various tooth-cleaning chews at the pet store.

Eventually, we "upgraded" his food to Purina One, then, sometime after we got our second dog, we switched to Blue Buffalo when one day they both got sick. This, again, worked for a year or two, and it helped to get the older dog off of the really low-grade, grain-heavy stuff.

By this time, the vet wanted to scale both of their teeth, and this was about the time we started really getting uncomfortable with the status quo. Our second dog wasn't a shelter mutt, but a purebred hunting Beagle I had sweet-talked my stepdad out of. We'd had him since he was about 12 weeks old, and my stepdad doesn't breed unhealthy dogs (between being outside dogs and running rabbits, they have to be robust; they also meet AKC standards, since they're all registered). The vet claimed that my stepdad just "didn't breed them for good teeth." Seriously?

That was January of the year before last. By spring, the older dog had started turning down his food. When we looked at his teeth, we found that they were in horrible shape. Full of gunk and threatening to deteriorate (if they weren't already). So, we started looking for things to do about it. Getting them scaled every year (at least) was out of the question. Not only was that costly and stressful on him, but it was only dealing with a symptom, and not in an efficient way. Instead, we wanted to find out the cause, or at least what we could do about it.

We also were having periodic trouble with both of their weights. They were always slightly overweight, to which, of course, the vet just said "reduce their food." The problem with that, though, was that they seemed to always be hungry, and had ongoing issues with them stealing food and going through the trash.

That's when we started learning about raw feeding. After much research to make sure we did it right (proper amounts, types of food, preparation or whatever, etc), we gave it a try. We decided that prey model (as opposed to ground or omnivorous plans) made the most sense and was potentially the most economical.

Not only did both dogs take to it immediately, but even the older dog was chewing on meat, tendons, bones, everything. Even more? Their teeth were getting cleaned. It was actually quite gross the first few times, as the act of chewing on the bones was scaling his teeth and breaking off the plaque buildup in chunks.

Within a few weeks, their teeth were noticeably whiter, their coats were quite a bit shinier, they didn't stink as much (wet dog is still wet dog), and neither of them had interest in the people food or trash. For the first time, the older dog had consistently balanced stools. He also had far more energy and was a lot more youthful (by this time, he was going on 6 years old, and since he was a large breed, he was getting up there in age). After a few months on their new diet, they had both also lost weight, and we could easily keep them at an ideal weight.

We ended up changing vets, in part because when we floated the idea of raw feeding to our old vet, they not only scoffed, but claimed that it was "dangerous" and "unhealthy." :noway: The new one, on the other hand, said they love people who raw feed (they also like wearing Vibram Five Fingers, so that's a plus in my book). It helped to have a vet that agreed with our dietary choices for them.

The older one died late last summer (conditions unrelated to diet), and a month or so later, we got another shelter dog. We immediately started him on the raw diet, which he also took to easily. He was less than a year old, but his teeth are still pearly white and we've had more issue keeping weight on him than off of him (that's since gotten better, since he's stopped growing, it was hard to gauge his needs, since he's a shelter mutt, which makes it hard to know how big he's going to get). They've both continued to do well on it, and we rarely have any of the issues we experienced with kibble-fed dogs.

Oh, and as an added bonus - no more big, stinky turds. Raw fed dog turds break down within a day or two into nothingness, and don't really stink even when fresh. Nothing like being able to walk around the yard without having to worry about stepping in something.

So yeah, raw meat is the way to go. To save money, check with your local butcher(s) and see about getting the scraps that they can't sell. As long as it's not the ungulate weight-bearing bones, you can feed dogs just about anything, even if it's a little too "ripe" for humans. As Akima said, dogs are carnivores, and are genetically the same as wolves (to the point that cross breeding is still possible, all the variations are solely from phenotypical gene expression, not mutations, and they certainly haven't changed to the point that they're anything but carnivores). Cats are obligate carnivores -- they need meat to function properly. They are meant to eat this way.

I recommend checking out http://rawfeddogs.org/ . It's a great resource that goes into detail about why raw, prey model is the best way to feed dogs, and dispells a number of myths about raw feeding, as well as guides on what/how much to feed.
  • ksellen1
    Options
    Thanks everyone! We feed them more expensive food now...Nutro something another, but there still are fillers. I've been wanting to move them onto raw but my hubz thinks it's too much money. At this point that doesn't matter anymore and I want them to be healthy. I will for sure be doing some more research! Thank you!

PS......she has a TON on plaque buildup despite getting her teeth cleaned once a year. I'm so excited to make this change for both of them!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! We feed them more expensive food now...Nutro something another, but there still are fillers. I've been wanting to move them onto raw but my hubz thinks it's too much money. At this point that doesn't matter anymore and I want them to be healthy. I will for sure be doing some more research! Thank you!

PS......she has a TON on plaque buildup despite getting her teeth cleaned once a year. I'm so excited to make this change for both of them!

Too expensive? For their health and lives? you live in Minnesota (unless I got the state wrong; I'm a Canadian) so ask your husband to go hunting. Or you could hunt; I do. Real food for the family AND the dogs.
  • ksellen1
    Options

Too expensive? For their health and lives? you live in Minnesota (unless I got the state wrong; I'm a Canadian) so ask your husband to go hunting. Or you could hunt; I do. Real food for the family AND the dogs.

He says everything is too expensive. We just got back from a $400 vet visit where we confirmed this is going to be a long term thing. He found out how much the prescription dog food will be and is now on board with the raw food.

He does hunt....which is one of the things I pointed out to him. I didn't grow up in a hunting family and don't know if I could kill something! I keep thinking I should try since I eat it, but I don't know....

Again, thanks for all of the help! I'll be spending the next few days researching as much as possible. While the vet isn't a big fan of the raw deal, she's in support if that's the route we decide to go since it does have some great results for people's pets.
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    Please do keep us up to date with this, it is an interesting situation and I love hearing about successes that trump current medical opinion. Out vet had us remove our cat's canned tuna when she was going though kidney failure and she wouldn't eat the medical diet food, there is no happy ending to this story.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Try making some fresh salmon or tuna and feeding that. The problem with the canned is that the salt content will damage the kidneys further.
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    Try making some fresh salmon or tuna and feeding that. The problem with the canned is that the salt content will damage the kidneys further.

That was years back and I had no concept of this lifestyle but it will not happen again.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I heard about a guys who's cat was having kidney failure and the vet wanted the cat off of high protein foods (like fish), the guy was Paleo so like anyone with a brain he knew cats needs protein so he took him off the regular cat food and put it on all meat, the cat is still around 3 years later. Why the heck not put him on it most dog food is full of grains.
    I had a similar experience with our old cat Butters, who came into our life. HE got sick and almost died; found out he had only one kidney (the other one shriveled up) and the one he had was hypertrophied (enlarged). Basically, if he gets an urinary track infection, it will kill him. Vet told us he probably would only live a couple of months before the next UTI got him.

That was over two years ago.

We put Butters (and our other cats) on a non-grain diet. Cats are obligate carnivores; they get all of their nutrition by eating rodents and lizards. While dogs are more omnivorous than cats (you should see my basset hound up on his hind legs eating the low-hanging figs from my tree), our dogs are also on a grain-free diet.

I am firmly convinced that the chronic diseases our pets come down with are due to our feeding them trash foodstuffs.
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    Please do keep us up to date with this, it is an interesting situation and I love hearing about successes that trump current medical opinion. Out vet had us remove our cat's canned tuna when she was going though kidney failure and she wouldn't eat the medical diet food, there is no happy ending to this story.
    Feeding tuna to a cat is not a good idea (unless as an occasional treat). Human-grade tuna does not have taurine, which is essential for cats (and readily available in the rodents and lizards they naturally eat). Lack of taurine in a cat's diet will lead to blindness eventually.

There are non-grain seafood for cats that have the necessary nutrients like taurine added (like Fussy Cat). Stick with those for regular feeding.
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    Feeding tuna to a cat is not a good idea (unless as an occasional treat). Human-grade tuna does not have taurine, which is essential for cats (and readily available in the rodents and lizards they naturally eat). Lack of taurine in a cat's diet will lead to blindness eventually.

There are non-grain seafood for cats that have the necessary nutrients like taurine added (like Fussy Cat). Stick with those for regular feeding.

Good to know, I will look into it
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    While dogs are more omnivorous than cats (you should see my basset hound up on his hind legs eating the low-hanging figs from my tree), our dogs are also on a grain-free diet.

http://rawfed.com/myths/omnivores.html

Also, just because an animal does eat something, it doesn't mean it's in any way good for them or that they get any nutrition out of it.
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    While dogs are more omnivorous than cats (you should see my basset hound up on his hind legs eating the low-hanging figs from my tree), our dogs are also on a grain-free diet.

http://rawfed.com/myths/omnivores.html

Also, just because an animal does eat something, it doesn't mean it's in any way good for them or that they get any nutrition out of it.
    You not only misunderstood me, so does the author of the blurb you posted - who is a proponent of raw diets and is propagandizing.

I said "more omnivorous than cats" - dogs are also carnivores, but cats are obligate carnivores - meaning in the wild, felids only eat animals. The facts about dogs in the wild indicate that dogs eat raw meat but, unlike cats, can get a good portion of their necessary nutrition from fruit and plants. A hungry wild dog may eat a fruit or a plant (like my basset and the fig tree), but a hungry wild cat will not.

A raw diet may be better for dogs and cats - assuming that the appropriate nutrients are included. Humans and dogs can produce taurine - so it is not needed; cats cannot (one of the distinctives of an obligate carnivore) and so it must be added.