How did you know what your goal would be?

Options
sdps720
sdps720 Posts: 80 Member
I think I know that I want to get down to #150 but maybe I am not sure? I mean we all have different body types right? So how did you finally come up with the right number for you?

Replies

• jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I just picked a midrange healthy weight/bmi for my height which is 110. I will reevaluate when I get there.
  • TudorRose2013
    TudorRose2013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I chose my initial goal weight of 150 lbs. based on where I would need to be to have a healthy BMI. I also looked at pictures of myself when I was last that weight in 2010 and was able to comfortably wear a size 6 - 8 in clothing. My ultimate goal is somewhere between 140 - 145lbs. I want to have some wiggle room when I go into maintenance, and know I'd be happy if I could stay somewhere between 140 - 150 lbs. for the long term.
  • sdps720
    sdps720 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    well the last time I was 150 was around 12 yrs old. I KNOW there is no way my body will look the same now as it did then so I guess I just look at it when I get there and decide if this is "it".
  • TudorRose2013
    TudorRose2013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    well the last time I was 150 was around 12 yrs old. I KNOW there is no way my body will look the same now as it did then so I guess I just look at it when I get there and decide if this is "it".

Sadly, I was only 150 for about 9 months! :( I had lost 30 lbs. for a trip to Europe, but once we came back, I wasn't motivated to keep it off. This time around I'm not losing the weight for any specific reason other than my health. The real challenge (other than losing) will be transitioning to maintenance, as I've never done that before! I just figure I will keep doing MFP for as long as it's around so that logging calories and just being aware of what and how much I'm eating will be my new way of life.
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I checked my BMI and went with the highest possible healthy weight. When I reach that then I'll see if I want to maintain or lose more.
  • mrice1973
    mrice1973 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I checked my BMI and went with the highest possible healthy weight. When I reach that then I'll see if I want to maintain or lose more.

That's exactly what I did as well.
  • 72Christie
    72Christie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I actually had a DEXA scan which measures fat and lean body mass, including bones. I set my goal based on that, which is actually around 7kg+ (around 20lb?) higher than the top of the recommended BMI for my height -- because I have a a very high muscle mass.
  • RckyMtnTJ
    RckyMtnTJ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've chosen goals that are doable yet will make a difference. Once I reach them I reevaluate and set a new goal. Funny thing it, I keep finding new goals. They get smaller ant smaller.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Dr.Oz says its great to get to your highschool weight. Last week on FB throw back thursday I was able to fit into my 1988 prom dress!
  • colleenzlife
    colleenzlife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I thought back to when I was most comfortable and happy with my weight, fitting into a size medium is my aim.
  • OhioTallGuy
    OhioTallGuy Posts: 82
    Options
    I chose the top end of "normal" weight on the BMI scale.
  • lorrennon
    lorrennon Posts: 43
    Options
    i was fat in high school.. trying to get back to my weight when i was in the military.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I think I know that I want to get down to #150 but maybe I am not sure? I mean we all have different body types right? So how did you finally come up with the right number for you?
    I'm aiming for about 5 lb under the top end of the healthy range based on BMI.
    Will reevaluate when I get there, might want to go a little lower.
    But for now, losing 110 lb is quite enough goal for me!
    (Actually, I'm down quite a bit, so there's "only" slightly over 60 lb to go.)

I did a blog post about goal setting:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045
    In part, it says...
    How do you decide your goal weight?
    Talk with your doctor to be sure you're being realistic and that losing weight is a good idea for you.
    If you're heavy, losing even 5% of your starting weight can improve your health & lower your risk of diseases associated with being overweight.

Method #1 - The easiest way is to look at a BMI chart. http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf.
    You want to be in the green range. As an initial goal, go for the highest weight in the green range for your height.
    Find your height along the left side, move right along that line to the right end of the green range, then look to the top of that column to find your goal weight.
    If you have lots of muscle, more than the average person, your healthy weight will be a bit higher.

Method #2 - Here's a calculator which takes into account your age & activity level.
    You will need to play with the weight you put in to get the BMI in a healthy range (under 25).
    https://www.bcm.edu/research/centers/childrens-nutrition-research-center/caloriesneed.cfm

Method #3 - This calculator will tell you not only your BMI, but how many servings of various foods to eat to maintain that weight.
    If you enter your healthy goal weight from method #1, this will help you plan your food intake.
    https://www.bcm.edu/research/centers/childrens-nutrition-research-center/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html