Feeling so down

Options
krissa3670
krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
Yet again i have gained, I try to eat healthy and i try to move about but sometimes the pain is just too much and its cheaper and easier to do a microwave meal or just make a chip butty. I want to do better but i feel its too hard. Where do i start, how do i get this weight off. Why are the healthy foods so much more expensive than the unhealthy foods. Sorry just wanted to vent a little. But please if you can advise i would be greatful and will accept all friend requests, boy do i need them. The ones i have on here are all so fit and constantly losing weight and none of them respond to me.

Replies

• allenhighnote
    allenhighnote Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First of all, my case of fibro is mild compared to many cases.
    Secondly, I'm not going to mention any meds or products or diets. I'm not selling anything. I just want to share what is working for me.

Ok we all know fibro sux. Sometimes you just need to vent a little about it. And I want to acknowledge that we all have crappy days. And I'm not talking about the dog ate the couch cushion. I'm talking about pain. I know just how difficult those days, weeks, months and years can be. I suffered with pain and depression for 3-4 years until I found the meds that work best for me. I started the meds in 2008. It has been one hell of a difficult journey. I'm fortunate that I have great insurance and a great doctor.

My pain was in the range of 6-7 of 10 every day. Since 2008, when I got on the right meds, my pain has been at 0-3. Totally manageable.

My best advice is BE PROACTIVE WITH YOUR HEALTH! Fibro does not have to stop you from living a rich rewarding life. So don't let it. Know your limits and take care of your body, mind, and spirit.

Then something wonderful happened in Dec 2013 that may have changed my life.

Fortunately, I came down with a horrific... jock itch infection. Yeah, I know. WHAT?

Long story, less long -- I did research into jock itch and found out it is simply a bad yeast infection. Hmm. Also found out that the mild infection on my big toenail could also be caused from a yeast infection.

So I did some research on yeast infections. Strangely enough 100% of my fibro systems were also symptoms of a systemic yeast infection. A systemic yeast infection is also known as candida. Generally speaking, it is a yeast infection that has spread throughout every muscle and bone of your body especially your gut.

Hmm. What causes a systemic yeast infection? CARBOHYDRATES!!! Flour, sugars,starches.

Strangely enough I figured this out on Jan 1 2014. I don't believe in New Years resolutions, but the next day I went on a low carb, high protein diet. Also, the meds I'm on cause weight gain. Jan 1 I weighed 238 lbs.

Working with my doctor, we determined that lowering my carb intake and boosting my proteain and fat intake was good for me. (repeat FOR ME!)

I was easily eating 4000 calories per day and I had know idea that I was eating that much until I started tracking EVERYTHING I ate. No point in cheating.

The first two or three weeks of the diet I limited myself to 2000 calories/day. In that time frame I lost 15 lbs. I also started swimming again which I had given up 6+ years ago. Note: 1 stone = 14 lbs.

Then my weight loss stopped. I still wanted to lose another 40+ lbs. I asked my doc if it was safe for ME to lower my calorie intake to between 1500-2000 cals/day. and she said it was safe for ME to do that.

So I lowered it to 1800/day. Lost another 5 lbs but plateaued again. All of this time, I'm swimming 2-3 times a week and increasing distance and the length of time I swim.

So I lowered it to 1600/day. That is a low as I'll go. Now my weight loss has picked back up and the best part is my pain level has been 0 every day since Jan 5.

My fat/carbs/protein ratio is 35/30/35. And I do my best to stay below the 30 carb ratio. Once again, my doc said that FOR ME, she isn't concerned with my fat as long as it is healthier fat such as nuts, avocados, monounsaturated, etc.

Knowing my calories and ratios is what I focus on.

My food diary is shared so you can see what I eat. Before the diet I drank at least 32 oz of fruit juice every day. Fruit juice is nothing but carbohydrate. Even those without additional sugar added are still only sugar and water. You'll notice I do eat fresh fruit in reasonable quantities. I also weight everything I eat and make sure the calories I enter in myfitnesspal are correct.

Ok, I think you get the gist of it.

I hope you can find some relief from your pain and other fibro symptoms. I know what you are going through but the best way to feel better is to take control of your health. It wasn't your choice to get fibromyalgia. It is your choice in how you handle it. You can handle it but you have to take it on -- head on!

You have my support! :happy:

Allen
  • allenhighnote
    Options
    Oh by the way. This has not been an overnight change. It has taken YEARS of non-stop dedicated effort. Cherish every single baby step and move on from the setbacks. NEVER, EVER, EVER GIVE UP! I can't yell/scream that loud enough!!!!
  • krissa3670
    Options
    Very interesting read. I too have a bit of a funal infection on my big toe nail and i get marks on my skin which my doctor said is a yeast infection and to wash the marks with anti dandruf shampoo and it would deal with it. I have never concidered a more deeper yeast infection. I might just mention this to my Doctor and see what they think. You may well be on to something here.
  • allenhighnote
    Options
    I've tried so many things and nothing has really helped my fibro other than meds. I did a huge amount of research on the internet.

Many drs still don't buy the carb and sugar idea that it is bad for our bodies. Frankly, I want to be rid of fibro so badly that I will try just about anything. Note: I'm not talking about be desperate. I could live a happy life with no further improvement. I just am willing to do whatever it takes to not have to deal with fibro every day of my life.

Beside, I'm loosing huge amounts of weight with fewer carbs, so I'm doubly motivated to eat better. I'm told that it can take a very long time for the yeast infection to reduce to normal levels. Your body, especially gut, requires yeast to function properly. My doc suggested that I take a good probiotic with a high number of cultures.

Also, the meds I'm on cause weight gain.

I'm not going to lie, it's difficult and I'm somewhat hungry most of the time. But in less than three months I've seen so much improvement. EVERYONE how knows me has mentioned just how big of a change they've seen. I feel better than I have in over 11 years!!!! Regardless of whether or not this "cures" or more accurately "eliminates" my fibromyalgia, I'm doing the physical things that I wasn't able to do 10 years ago. Now there is no pain what-so-every.

Feel free to take my food diary to your doc and have him/her give it a thumbs up or down for you!

Additionally, NEVER CONSUME ANYTHING WITH HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP (HFCS). I had surgery several years ago and ate only ice pops for a couple of days. Didn't realize that HFCS is the main ingredient in them. By the third day, I could not MOVE. I don't mean walk; I mean move. I was in excruciating fibro pain for several weeks.

I'm glad you're doing better!!
  • TabithaRyan68
    TabithaRyan68 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Eating home cooked meals are so important for fibro. There is so much junk in boxed meals.

I always cook a lot on good days. Then I bundle up those extra servings and freeze them. Then you have healthy meals in the freezer when you are having an extra bad day. Trust me, once your body gets used to eating well, you will only want to do that. Even when my pains are a 9 or 10 I still get up and cook because it is so good for me.

I too have heard that treatment for candida is good, i will be discussing this with my doctor next visit.

I have also heard that processed sugars are really, really bad for fibro so I'm trying to cut down.

Take gentle care of you, be very good with your food tracking and watch those calories.
  • krissa3670
    Options
    Thank you guys for your support and for sharing your stories, this is a very very complicated thing. I am trying harder again but somehow last week i gained 8 lbs and for the life of me i am stumped. Even my daughter said that we hadnt been naughty food wise so what is going on there i dont know. But this week am making an effort to be more conscious of what i am eating. I know to put things on the diary but sometimes i just get so lazy i dont bother doing it and then like now am wondering what went wrong. So trying to be stronger about putting the foods on even if i go over at least i know what and why.