Beginner Paleo

Options
Hi guys, I'm a CrossFitter, and I have finally decided to give paleo a proper go. I have tried paleo + dairy before but ended up eating a whole lot of dairy and noticed I wasn't getting decent sleep at all, so I have decided to go the whole hog and try to become almost completely paleo. I have been doing a lot of research and it makes me more and more sure that it is going to be what my body needs. I am currently in the process of transitioning to paleo eating (I want it to be a lifestyle switch so am taking it slowly so it is sustainable!). I am currently at a stage where I am paleo + rice + peanut butter + coffee. I want to end up paleo + coffee. If anyone has any good tips about how to replace rice in my diet please let me know! I am currently trying The Mindful Caveman's approach of Add, Replace, Refine. http://themindfulcaveman.com/3-easy-steps-getting-started-paleo/

I'm interested for any advice or tips, and feel free to send me a friend request so we can help each other stay on track.

Replies

• GypsieFlower94
    Options
    I found an awesome substitute for rice is millet. Its kinda more like cous cous than rice, but it tastes awesome no matter how you have it :)
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Millet isn't paleo or primal. I'd much rather do the white rice. Safer. "Riced" cauliflower can be a decent substitute. I used to boil cauliflower and then tried roasting it. Now I tend to put it in a covered casserole with a small amount of water or broth and kind of over steam it. Keeps it less mushy than boiling and less crispy that roasting, a good happy medium for "rice."

If you can handle almonds then almond butter makes a tasty substitute for peanut butter although I'm not really big on either.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Are you getting conventional peanut butter (Jif, Skippy, etc)? If so, switch to a "natural" brand/variety that has only peanuts as an ingredient. I'm a peanut butter fanatic generally, but I've found that I could take it or leave it if it's just ground peanuts. It's the added sugar and oil that made me really want it (not because it was sweet, but just because of the way it changed the flavor profile and texture). At the very least, that will get you away from the added ingredients, which in some brands can be pretty nasty.

Other than that, I second the almond butter option. You can make butter out of any nut, actually. Even if you can't find it in the store, just throw your favorite nut into a food processor and let it go to town on it for a while. It will start out like just ground up nuts, but after a while, the oils will release, and it'll start getting creamier. You can add a little of a liquid oil (such as light olive oil, or coconut oil if you don't mind it firming up in the fridge) to give it a smoother texture.

As for rice, it depends on what you're using it for, I think. In most cases, you can probably just nix it without much issue. The cauliflower rice is also a good option. Some dishes you may just be better off dropping from your menu if you can't/don't want to do rice, but again, it depends on the specifics.
  • thatcrossfitlife
    Options
    Thanks guys. My questions regarding rice substitutes are mainly because with paleo there is no pasta, rice, potatoes, quinoa, couscous etc.. is sweet potatoes really the only option for that sort of craving?

I will definitely try almond butter. I currently have natural peanut butter but plan on phasing that out.

Did you guys go paleo at once or gradually? Trying to work out the best way to approach this lifestyle.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like rice so not eating it is very easy for me. I don't miss grains either. I find all of them bland and am much happier with just animal foods and vegetables. I do have some dairy currently but not because I think it's healthy.

Some people can tolerate rice. If I were you, I would do a very strict version of Paleo for a month and then experiment with the things you want to add back in. Your Personal Paleo Code by Chris Kresser is a good resource for that. I went keto/Primal overnight but Paleo is a longer journey for me. I often lose the fight to avoid dairy but I do eat far less than I used to.

Have you tried other nut butters? The only peanut butter that tastes good to me is the commercial stuff with sugar etc. But pure macadamia butter is HEAVEN. And I like other pure nut butters too. I don't eat them often as I don't think eating lots of nuts is great for me but I have no problem preferring real nuts over peanuts.

If you are talking about "craving" and replacing starch maybe you should try giving it up for awhile? Are you coming into Paleo thinking that grain is a necessary "food group"? I can speak from experience that carbs/starch/sugar are completely optional and for anyone who has metabolic disorders (excess fat, depression, diabetes, etc etc-just about every modern ailment!) should limit them carefully.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower rice! I was really intimidated to make it at first, but it was easy. You can google around for different takes on it, but this is the one I use:

http://relishscd.blogspot.com/2013/05/how-to-rice-cauliflower-in-vitamix.html

After the cauliflower reaches rice consistency, I get out my wok, put in some ghee and some chopped onion (amount depends on how much rice you make). I simmer the onion a bit, then I toss in the rice and cook until it tastes done to me (usually 5 minutes, I think). It's so good. I seriously prefer it to real rice.

I would replace the PB with almond butter. My favorite brands are Barney Butter (chunky) and Trader Joe's (smooth and salted).
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is technically a seed, not a grain, and I eat it as a rice sub. Also, almond butter tastes so much better than PB. I'm so into it now that I can't even eat PB anymore!
  • MadoK
    MadoK Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cauliflower rice idea! I found this recipe was very 'ricey':
    http://www.paleocupboard.com/seasoned-cauliflower-rice.html

As for grain substitutes, I totally know what you mean. I've been eating strict Paleo (went cold-turkey) for almost 6 months, and I absolutely love it! But sometimes you just want 'comfort food'. For me, it's sweet potato fries (just baked with melted coconut oil and seasoning of your choice), and spaghetti squash! If I make a meaty pasta sauce and put it over spaghetti squash, I find it just as satisfying as regular pasta, except I don't feel awful after eating it! And it's super easy to make.

And one of my absolute favourite snacks is celery dipped in almond butter (I love the chunky ones). Soooo good!
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is technically a seed, not a grain, and I eat it as a rice sub. Also, almond butter tastes so much better than PB. I'm so into it now that I can't even eat PB anymore!

all grains are seeds too.

Here is what I found on wikipedia.

"Quinoa (/ˈkiːnwɑː/ or /kɨˈnoʊ.ə/, Spanish: quinua, from Quechua: kinwa), a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), is a grain crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, as it is not a member of the true grass family. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beetroots, spinach and tumbleweeds.
    It is high in protein, lacks gluten,"

I dont know what the paleo rule is for quinoa, does anyone else??? This sounds like it should be allowed, and I sure wouldn't mind being able to add this one to my list of edibles. :)
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Here is what I found on wikipedia.

"Quinoa (/ˈkiːnwɑː/ or /kɨˈnoʊ.ə/, Spanish: quinua, from Quechua: kinwa), a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), is a grain crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, as it is not a member of the true grass family. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beetroots, spinach and tumbleweeds.
    It is high in protein, lacks gluten,"

I dont know what the paleo rule is for quinoa, does anyone else??? This sounds like it should be allowed, and I sure wouldn't mind being able to add this one to my list of edibles. :)

Here is what I found on Ultimate Paleo Guide (online)

"So, quinoa, while it might technically be gluten free and better than most grains – quinoa is definitely NOT paleo. You’ll want to avoid this for a few reasons – namely the digestive issues & the high carbohydrate content (So if you’re transitioning to paleo for the weight loss benefits, you’ll want to avoid quinoa). Essentially, it’s ok in principle, but not as ok in practice. If you follow a paleo diet plan, it’s not paleo (under the stictest requirements). While it’s not the worst thing in the world – many people simply can’t handle the possible negative effects on your digestive system."

DANG!!! :(
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    The point of Paleo is to achieve optimal health. Optimal health is not likely while consuming grains, even gluten-free ones. Rice is likely the lesser of the evils and many people can tolerate it but I wouldn't agree that it promotes optimal health. It's innocuous enough that I allow my child to have it in moderation.

I don't really understand trying to bend grains into being "Paleo" foods. "Sometimes" foods, sure, "well tolerated" by some, sure, but not Paleo and not ideal.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Thanks guys. My questions regarding rice substitutes are mainly because with paleo there is no pasta, rice, potatoes, quinoa, couscous etc.. is sweet potatoes really the only option for that sort of craving?

What craving? Carbs? Have not, want not, really. Once you get used to eating fewer carbs/starches, you have less of a craving for them.

And no, technically, sweet potatoes aren't the only ones. You've got the whole array of tubers and various root vegetables at your disposal, including, but not limited to real yams (real yams are not sweet potatoes), parsnips, Jerusalem artichokes, jicama, cassava, and taro. You've also got some of the starchier squashes, as well.

Jerusalem artichokes, in particular, are extraordinarily easy to grow -- plant one and the next year, you'll have 50. We had some in my parent's yard that we didn't even do anything with (like...ever), and when I finally dug them up, I filled two wheel barrows full and I still don't think I got them all.
  • thatcrossfitlife
    Options
    Once again, thanks everyone for all your replies! I tried cauliflower rice tonight and it definitely hit the spot!

I don't think 'craving' is necessarily the right word, but I feel like I need something else in my diet to feel satisfied. I am planning on expanding how many vegetables I try, and yams will be next on my list! This has already been such a learning curve about foods and I'm loving it.

Today was my first day where I avoided grains completely and I feel awesome! Now just to fine tune it and cut out the additives in my sauces etc.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Getting enough fat and getting through the adjustment period should help with that. If you've been following the USDA recommendations your whole life, your body is used to burning carbs for fuel almost exclusively, and you're now forcing it to rely more on fats. It's not going to be happy about that at first.

The guys at Whole 30 have a timeline of how most people adjust, definitely worth a look at - http://www.whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Those cravings will go away after a few months. And this is coming from a former grain lover! I would say cauliflower is great a couple times a week but when I first transitioned to grain free I really over did it on cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage; I substituted them for grains as a big spot on my plate and I think it led to SIBO. Coniferous veggies should be limited to 1 cup every day or every other day. Root veggies like sweet potatoes parsnips turnips and beets and green leafy veggies like spinach and chard are much easier on the belly! Don't get me wrong lots of people do fine with cauliflower everyday but it didn't work for me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Those cravings will go away after a few months. And this is coming from a former grain lover! I would say cauliflower is great a couple times a week but when I first transitioned to grain free I really over did it on cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage; I substituted them for grains as a big spot on my plate and I think it led to SIBO. Coniferous veggies should be limited to 1 cup every day or every other day. Root veggies like sweet potatoes parsnips turnips and beets and green leafy veggies like spinach and chard are much easier on the belly! Don't get me wrong lots of people do fine with cauliflower everyday but it didn't work for me.

Cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage are cruciferous veggies (as are collards, bok choy, arugula, and kale, interestingly enough), so it's not just the obvious ones. Many of them are also goitrogenic, which can cause thyroid issues in too-large amounts, especially if you're already predisposed to thyroid issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage are cruciferous veggies (as are collards, bok choy, arugula, and kale, interestingly enough), so it's not just the obvious ones. Many of them are also goitrogenic, which can cause thyroid issues in too-large amounts, especially if you're already predisposed to thyroid issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables

Yup. Such a bummer to have to eat kale in moderation; chard its my new kale.
  • sunnycrisv
    sunnycrisv Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Jicama is easily my favorite for that comfort food craving. I toss it in a crockpot with meats, plantains, and whatever other veggies I have on hand. Malanga is good too. I'm of the primal group so I still allow myself rice, potatoes and corn once or twice a week but I found I don't usually have a craving for them.