Charley Horses in Feet

Options
Ms_J1
Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
I keep getting charley horses on the bottoms of my feet when I'm doing kick drills. Anyone know how to prevent this from happening?

Replies

• ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I get them from my push off. I tend to use toes and after a half hour or so, I cramp up.
  • dickrocketjones
    dickrocketjones Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Agree with water imawaterbender. When I start having cramps I push off more with legs only and stop using the feet as much. Sort of keeping them flexed a little more, and not extending them. I started get more cramps as I was attempting to add distance. So I started adding Mio electrolyte stuff to my water. Would drink a bottle before my swim and during. No calories added so no worries. Also attempted to eat a little more before my workout. Fruits or a protein shake. All that seemed to work. I also started doing my kick drills earlier in my workout. If I wait till later I'm guaranteed to get bad ones in feet, calves and thighs. Hope this helps.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I wasn't having problems with my feet, I was getting terrible cramps in my calves. I started drinking a bottle of water on my way to the pool & keeping another one on the deck to drink during set breaks. I also started stretching my legs on every set break. I no longer get the cramps, so I'm thinking hydration & staying loose are the ways to help prevent any of those types of issues no matter where they occur in your body..........
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem last summer. After about half an hour, it would start in my feet and if I didn't stop, it would move to my calves. I think it is because when you swim, you naturally point your toes which is unnatural for those muscles. I have only been in the pool a couple of times this spring and so far so good. I have been cycling more and it seems to help because I use the same muscles. So, maybe if you find a way to work those muscles more and strengthen them, it will be better?
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated. Don't drink coffee etc. Relax your feet..
    That's really all there's to it.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated. Don't drink coffee etc. Relax your feet..
    That's really all there's to it.

Fortunately, coffee was never something I liked.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Cycling has helped my feet, too. It's important to stay off the balls of the feet when cycling. I am just on an exercise bike.
  • mo_chuisle
    mo_chuisle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get cramps in my feet, but not lately... I usually try to swim through them and relax. I always have a bottle of water with me, and I add iForce Compete to it for cardio workouts. What bothers me the most is my hands cramp up... and then aren't too happy with me for a bit. I use my hands a lot though (I am a musician, and a day desk job on the computer), so it might be overuse.