to run or to rest with a cold during taper week

Options
jennalink807
jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
I seem to get sick at the worst possible times (for my running season at least). I came down with a cold this weekend and my half is this coming Saturday. It's the last week of taper, but I can't decide if I should keep up with my last few miles of training and suck it up, or just rest and hope this cold goes away before Saturday. What would you do? My body doesn't really feel like running, but my brain is going crazy just sitting inside. I have a sore throat, stuffy nose, and headache but no fever or cough. Would you run or would you rest?

Replies

• RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If you've been putting in the miles, rest. Trust your training. These last few runs won't make you or break you, but you might feel even worse Saturday if you don't rest.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I would rest since your race is close if you don't feel up to it. With that being said I never noticed my cold lasting longer if I ran vs resting. I usually could breathe easier (felt better) when I ran than when I wasn't with a cold.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Some people go with the neck rule. If you sick from the neck-up (headcold/sinuses, you can do your work. If from the neck-down (upper/lower respiratory) then skip it. I have the same issue, I'm horribly susceptible to bronchitis, and got whacked with it pretty badly 5 days before my first marathon.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like running, don't today or tomorrow. See how you feel Wednesday for an easy 2 or 3 miles. If all goes well do the same Thursday then rest Friday. I'm an asthmatic with a young child in daycare and i always seem to get ill before a big race. But i do better if I run a little during the week, as long as I'm up for it.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    How about a compromise: brisk walking. You are out moving around but still honoring your body's need to recover.

Done with purpose (that is, walking briskly, not la-la-la strolling!), walking is amazing exercise (for the brain as well as the body).
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'll rest most of the week but try to get one or two runs in. I'd hate for my legs to be too tight. But you're right, those extra few miles won't make any difference.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I had a bad cold my taper week for my last half...I rested completely that week, had the race of my life, and somehow PRed my pace by a full minute. I think it worked out well for me. :laugh: