Carb sources

Options
mandabrett
mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
Fat loss goals

Sweet potatoes vs fruit?

I am doing crossfit and am trying to figure out my macros. Would carbs from starchy tubers be better than fruit. I tend to over eat certain fruits, so I just try to not eat them. Bananas mainly. What do you guys do as far as carbs?

Replies

• mandabrett
    Options
    I also eat lots of green veggies. I didn't mention that before.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I only eat fruit as a rare treat because of the fructose in it. I feel like there are no nutrients in fruit that I can't get in veggies and can avoid the sugar load that way. So obviously, I would choose a sweet potato as an after workout carb :)
  • mandabrett
    Options
    I only eat fruit as a rare treat because of the fructose in it. I feel like there are no nutrients in fruit that I can't get in veggies and can avoid the sugar load that way. So obviously, I would choose a sweet potato as an after workout carb :)

Thanks! That's what I was thinking too.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are a good choice, but limit that because they do contain testosterone.

You may get the benefits like increased energy, stamina, fat burning, pumped up mood, increased arousal,

but there is a murk side especially for us ladies like hot flashes, mood swings, menstrual changes, increased arousal that is unwanted or out of control, anger, rage, the general urge to punch.

I still eat them, but when I was new to Paleo I thought I was going to eat one every day.

A few crazy weeks later we figured out what was wrong with me, as I was having the symptoms mentioned above, both good and bad, but the "increased unwanted arousal" was getting a little out of control.

I saw another member go through this with cabbage.

But seriously, all veg has carbs. All of them.

You can eat them all, not particularly high carb ones to get carbs.

My vote is for variety. Try something new every week, that's one of the joys of Paleo dieting.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Root veggies are my favorite carb too. Honey in tea can be a good post workout treat. There are also carbs in yogurt if that's something you do well with. I find berries don't wake up the "sugar monster" the way other fruits do. Due to carbs making me feel ravenous and triggering over eating I restricted fruit for a long time. I'm really enjoying having bananas again now without getting huge sugar cravings (major nsv for me!). I still can't eat dried fruit without it triggering sugar cravings but if you do okay with dates that's a good carb source. Soaking them in warm water for 30 minutes makes them easier on the tummy and they are great in smoothie or homemade Lara bars.