My new favorite thing

Options
Skoster1
Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
Why haven't I been drinking glasses of beef broth my whole life?

Replies

• KrazzyJazz
    Options
    Hmmm, haven't tried that. It DOES sound like it could be good. Any kind you recommend?
  • Skoster1
    Options
    I just got the Wyler's beef bullion cubes because it was what was available in the commissary. No calories.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I drink chicken broth from time to time if I'm feeling neglected. Did you add HWC to it by any chance? Heavenly! And a great little snack.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    i go for OXO cubes with some butter melted in!:drinker:
  • Skoster1
    Options
    Both the HWC and butter sound like great ideas!

Looks like tomorrow I have a different drink for dinner.
  • SisterMable
    SisterMable Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love broth - especially home made bone broth. It's filled with magic and has far less sodium than the cubes. All that marrow and cartilage stuff helps us rebuild our bodies. Yay!!
  • Skoster1
    Options
    I love broth - especially home made bone broth. It's filled with magic and has far less sodium than the cubes. All that marrow and cartilage stuff helps us rebuild our bodies. Yay!!

I read that on keto we need higher sodium:

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/04/16/Keto-flu-and-Sufficient-Intake-of-Electrolytes
  • SisterMable
    SisterMable Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Of course. Just for me, I don't need THAT much more ;) Otherwise the bags under my eyes need bras ;) My tissues tend to hold on to water weight, so I'm a bit more sodium sensitive than likely you are. :)
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love drinking it straight up.

Lately I've been loving mushroom soups. I melt 30g butter into a small pot, add 100g mushrooms, sautee for a while to get the flavors going, then add my broth. I sometimes add heavy cream to it to make it richer and get even more fat in. Such a rich soup with such little effort!

I wish I had homemade bone broth for the wonderful health properties, but I'm just now stocking up on bones. Gonna make a good batch soon.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Why haven't I been drinking glasses of beef broth my whole life?

I keep both beef and chicken bouillon (Wylers) cubes in my desk drawer at work. It's a great afternoon pick me up. Hadn't thought about adding butter or HWC to it, but that would make it even more delightful! And the mushroom soup idea from another poster sounds like a winner as well...may whip that up tonite.
  • djthom2
    djthom2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like making egg drop soup. Bring chicken broth to boil, add butter and sometimes a handful of baby spinach, scramble an egg and slowly drizzle it into the soup, cooks up quick. Makes a quick easy meal. Love the idea of the mushroom soup! Definitely need to try that one, thanks for posting it
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    All this sounds good but, what is HWC?

(Getting ready to start keto this week, and reading over the forums and lurking/learning a bit before I jump in)
  • Caeyla
    Caeyla Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure they're referring to heavy whipping cream.

I do a cup of broth, a tablespoon or 2 of cream, and a teaspoon or so of bacon grease. It might sound weird, but I love it!
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love drinking it straight up.

Lately I've been loving mushroom soups. I melt 30g butter into a small pot, add 100g mushrooms, sautee for a while to get the flavors going, then add my broth. I sometimes add heavy cream to it to make it richer and get even more fat in. Such a rich soup with such little effort!

I wish I had homemade bone broth for the wonderful health properties, but I'm just now stocking up on bones. Gonna make a good batch soon.

Um, I need to try this. SOUNDS SO GOOD!
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I like making egg drop soup. Bring chicken broth to boil, add butter and sometimes a handful of baby spinach, scramble an egg and slowly drizzle it into the soup, cooks up quick. Makes a quick easy meal. Love the idea of the mushroom soup! Definitely need to try that one, thanks for posting it

I need to try this, too!! Thank you!!
  • I_love_frogs
    Options
    Oh....duh that makes sense lol

I am officially starting tomorrow. These recipes sound great!!!
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Another good option is thinly slicing a sweet onion and sautéing that in a couple tablespoons of butter. After they are carmalized I pour in a couple cups of beef broth!
  • I_love_frogs
    Options
    Another good option is thinly slicing a sweet onion and sautéing that in a couple tablespoons of butter. After they are carmalized I pour in a couple cups of beef broth!

well...crap lol

I need to do this!!! I'd do it now but no room for it....
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    How do you all work out the macros for your home made broth? I also find raw and cooked macros for meats difficult to calculate as there is meat juice to consider as well in the weights.
  • I_love_frogs
    Options

I need to try this, too!! Thank you!!

I made this for my breakfast and wow...yummy!!! I just added a little coconut oil and a little HWC to help fend off any hunger pangs till lunch. Sometimes I am tired and just don't feel like cooking...this works for me!!

Thank you for my new favorite easy recipe :)

EDIT : I just finished and my gosh am I stuffed. I see now why adding the fat helps with satiety >laugh>

I would never have guessed how filling this was... I like it a lot and will definitely be keeping it in my meal rotation!