BMR, TDEE and No thyroid due to cancer

Options
dalmiechick45
dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
Hi all! I am 5"11, have a sedentary job. I calculated my BMR and TDEE , BMR 1642 and TDEE 1961. Sooooo ..... HUH? BMR 1642*7= 11,494 calories per week, To eat at a deficit of 3500 cals (to lose 1lb per week) 11,494 - 3500 / 7 days = 1142 per day... and to lose 2 lbs per week its like 600 cals per day,WTH? Dangerous, but eating 1350 cals per days has been piling the weight one. Have GAINED 11lbs since I have been back on MFP. (and I added exercising back into my routine after 3 months hiatus due to heart issue). ?!?!?! anyone have an answer? How can I eat 642 cals per day? I would be starving!

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    May I send you a hug.

The only suggestion I can come up with is you go back to your medical practitioner preferably your consultant and that they will be able to point you in the right direction ensuring you are on some good level of thyroid replacement. I have made use of my national thyroid support site, looked at the US and Australian ones and the "Stop the thyroid madness" sights and find then brilliant in the explanations and information available. It seems many doctors have little true understanding of low thyroid effects let alone helping people with removed ones.

I hope someone comes up with something much better than my meagre offering
  • MelxH
    MelxH Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    hm... For what I understand... I don't think you did it right...
    you have to take the 500 calories (to lose 1 lb) from your TDEE (1961) not from your BMR(1642), your BMR is what your body needs to exist, you will burn more than that just by going to the bathroom in the morning...
    1961*7=13727
    13727-3500=10227
    10227/7=1461

1461 is what you should consume in order to lose 1lb a week

Use this calculator if you still in doubt http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    hm... For what I understand... I don't think you did it right...
    you have to take the 500 calories (to lose 1 lb) from your TDEE (1961) not from your BMR(1642), your BMR is what your body needs to exist, you will burn more than that just by going to the bathroom in the morning...
    1961*7=13727
    13727-3500=10227
    10227/7=1461

1461 is what you should consume in order to lose 1lb a week

^^^This^^^

While your BMR sounds normal, your TDEE seems low, unless you really are doing nothing more than sitting seven days a week. If there are days that you exercise, I would subtract 500 from that number and eat a little more.
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    thanks y'all! So much! Guess I miscalculated, funny my dietitian said to eat 1450 a day, so that's about perfect I guess, unfortunately, even when I spin and jog and do yoga 4-5 times per week (Yes I do it on weekends too) haha, and EAT that many cals, the scale just keeps going up up up! It's terrifying. I have been dealing with this for 2.5 years since thyroid surgery. My TSH,T4, T3 levels just do not ever stabilize! They;re all over the place every time I go :(
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hear you, we are left with such low or no metabolism. My thyroid Dr said to push the weights and core strength to ramp things up. Good luck!
  • wallingf
    wallingf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1) Are you sure you are weighing, measuring EVERYTHING you eat? You would be surprised how quickly 1350 calories become 1800 calories (or more) when you are "estimate" the ounces in a steak, a cup of spaghetti, a half cup of ice cream, 2 T of salad dressing. I know - because this is what caused me to fail a few years back. I logged all my food - but I didn't weigh and measure all the time. Now I weigh and measure everything - no exceptions.

2) If you are really exercising that much - you could actually not be eating enough. If your TDEE was set up assuming you were sedentary, then you should also be tracking all of your exercise and eating back about half those calories. This is how I do it (and I think a lot of people here). You determine your sedentary TDEE and then track your actual exercise. I use a FITBIT for steps (integrated into MFP, so if I don't walk all day....it actually takes calories AWAY from me for being comatose :-) ) and I log my biking directly into MFP.

3) I read somewhere that us "hypos" should take 200 calories off the top, due to lower metabolism. Whether that is really true or not - who knows. But that would put you are 1261 calories a day. FWIW, I find I have to follow the -200 calories rule to be successful.

4) I also find that starchy carbs are a killer for me. I have to eat most of my calories in protein, fruits, dairy, vegetables. I avoid potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. If I eat too much of that stuff, I will gain.....doesn't matter if I stay within my calories.

I have lost 50lbs to date following the above. 50 more to go!

Good Luck - it is definitely tough being hypo.