Low calorie burn

Options
tamred69
tamred69 Posts: 130 Member
So, I bought an HRM a few months ago, and am really surprised about how low my calorie burn is when exercising. Even when I feel like I am giving it my all, my heartbeat is hard to get above 130. For instance, I just did a workout on the elliptical machine for 15 minutes, and the calories the machine indicated were Twice what my HRM said I burned. Any of you experience the same?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The calorie burns are only estimates. It will take trial & error to find which one is more accurate.

If it were me, I'd trust a heart-rate monitor over an elliptical machine.
  • tamred69
    tamred69 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The calorie burns are only estimates. It will take trial & error to find which one is more accurate.

If it were me, I'd trust a heart-rate monitor over an elliptical machine.

Yes, that's my point. My real calorie burn is only half of what the elliptical machine says. I expected it to be off, but not by that much.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Exactly the same thing. Been very frustrated about it
  • smhcampbell23
    Options
    So I recently read several articles, our body with an understactive thyroid takes more to jumpstart our slow metabolism, so effectively we will burn calories at a slower rate than those with a faster metabolism. That broke my heart but when I look at my weight loss pattern vs my calorie burn pattern it makes sense. The only way to make it better is to continue to push through and exercise more. get moving more. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. We have to work extra hard to get our metabolism to speed up enough to burn a "normal" amount of calories. So I would trust your HRM and what it says based on what I've read about it taking more for us to burn calories.
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lots of people find this - even if they don't have a thyroid issue. HRM are the most accurate, most gym machines (and MFP exercise estimates!) are really really over optimistic! I find my heart rate is about 120-130 if I exercise at a constant pace, but if I do interval training it can get up to 150! That said, I see results just as easily from something like walking at a low heart rate as I do for interval training.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    This is so interesting/unfortunate. I don't have a HRM but I take my pulse a lot when exercising (I work in heathcare and have a good sense of what it is after a few seconds) and its always pretty low - 120 or so, and goes down fast. My resting HR is about 50 which is also fairly low - is that true for the rest of you as well?

I really like long, slow runs but am going to try to do more interval training to get my metabolism working.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Thinking about heart rate. I was of the opinion the resting heart rate, normal range, would be between 40 and 60 beats per minute. Puts you bang in the middle. Respiration, resting,normal range, 16 to 20.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'll go with the others - I would trust the HRM. The exercise machines are notoriously optimistic. Not to mention the mfp estimates, especially when it comes to "slower" exercises like yoga, weight training or walking.
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I only input 1/3 of the time I spend exercising to MFP because of this. Otherwise I don't lose or even gain. I think my thyroid slowed metabolism (and maybe my age -- 45) means I don't burn as many calories for my exercise as MFP says.
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My resting HR is about 50 which is also fairly low - is that true for the rest of you as well?

Yeah, my resting heart rate is about 55. Have you ever tried the 30 day shred? I always see results from that workout, especially round my middle. It's a good introduction to interval training and you can get them all free on youtube. :smile:
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is 52, and I have no problem getting my heart rate up at the gym. I do crossfit-type workouts though- which are VERY high intensity. I actually burn more calories in my workouts than what I had estimated. I love my heart rate monitor. It's the best money I ever spent.

I think really, really pushing yourself is key. When my heart rate is at 95% of my max (my max is 189), I feel like I'm going to vomit. REALLY REALLY tired- cannot breath. This is while doing interval-type exercise. If I go for a steady run my heart rate stays around 75% of my max. You might want to do more high intensity workouts instead of steady state cardio.....
    This is so interesting/unfortunate. I don't have a HRM but I take my pulse a lot when exercising (I work in heathcare and have a good sense of what it is after a few seconds) and its always pretty low - 120 or so, and goes down fast. My resting HR is about 50 which is also fairly low - is that true for the rest of you as well?

I really like long, slow runs but am going to try to do more interval training to get my metabolism working.