SIGH..where did the energy go?

Options
When I first started this (about a week in) I had tons of energy...but lately I am totally just crashing and sleepy. Work has gotten much more stressful...and maybe that knocked me out of Keto, but I have been keeping my carbs below 25 a day.

Any ideas? Is this just stress and I need to pick up the exersize?

Debbie

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing it?

If only one week, you need to give your body time to adapt. If 3-4 months, then you need to look at whether or not you're eating enough and are meeting all your nutrient needs.
  • youdontknowme9
    youdontknowme9 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am in month 2 at this point....I guess I am going to do that. Thanks for your advise.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I used to feel tired until I started taking a multivitamin.
  • youdontknowme9
    Options
    Yea..took my first one today..usually they make me sick. But I am hoping with the diet change I will do better this time.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    If you take a multi-vitamin, take it with food. Or at least after you've eaten. I know that I tend to get very nauseous when I take one on an empty stomach.
  • youdontknowme9
    Options
    I am taking it with dinner. So far 20 mins later, i'm still fine. So with food is the way to go!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    You are eating more protein than fat. Good luck staying in a Keto. Read the book by Volek and Phinny, they talk about people feeling sluggish when they over eat protein. Again every one is different but it something to consider.
  • youdontknowme9
    Options
    Ok..so I took a once a day pill, and pumped up my fat intake. One of them worked, because I am already feeling better. So thanks so much for all your help. Now we are planning a camping trip (not the hard core kind, but the glamping kind....).
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    One of them worked, because I am already feeling better. Now we are planning a camping trip (not the hard core kind, but the glamping kind....).

Glad to hear you're feeling better. And WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO for camping!! One of my fav things to do. It's VERY easy to camp and stick w/ low carb, but planning ahead is definitely a good idea. Don't know how long you're going to be gone, but let me know if you want some ideas that have worked well for me in the past. :-)
  • youdontknowme9
    Options
    I would love some ideas...going for about 3 or 4 days...and we are going to the state park and using one of the rv sites, so we can cook and use the truck to carry food and coolers to store it.

So far I am planning on hotdogs (nathan's), pre cooked sausage patties, and pre-cooked hamburger patties.

bags of salad, fresh veggies (depends on what is available), pork rinds, and maybe some beef jerky.

I'm trying to pick things that if the cooler gets too warm, it won't make me sick to eat it.

Any other ideas?
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I would love some ideas...going for about 3 or 4 days...and we are going to the state park and using one of the rv sites, so we can cook and use the truck to carry food and coolers to store it.

Things I've done in the past (all requiring prep ahead):

Use a couple 2 liter or gallon jugs filled about 3/4 way w/ water and freeze. Much more convenient than loose ice in cooler and you can use the water as it thaws for drinking/cooking. You'll probably need to get fresh ice by day 2, but at least you'll have kept the cooler cold and have fresh water out of the deal.

Freeze all of your hotdogs, burgers, sausage patties, etc. to be added to cooler on day of trip. You can quick thaw your hotdogs for dinner that night in a bowl of cold water. The rest will gradually thaw in cooler as you need them.

Take a whole fryer chicken and stuff w/ cut up carrots, celery onion. Season outside w/ butter or olive oil and your choice of spices. Wrap in multiple layers of heavy duty aluminum foil then put in large freezer bag and pop in freezer. On day of trip, put frozen bird in cooler. Mine was thawed by day 3, so that's when we built an awesome fire w/ lots of good, hot coals. Take bird out of ziploc but leave in foil, and place in coals. You'll need to move it around about every 20 minutes or so, exposing evenly to the heat. I think mine was done in about 1 1/2-2 hours. I swear this will be one of the moistest and most delicious chickens you've ever tasted. :-) If you have another day of your trip left, you can boil down the carcass for chicken stew, adding in a bag of frozen veggies of your choice and whatever meat is leftover.

Faux-tato Salad: Your favorite potato salad recipe subbing cauliflower for potatoes. Store in a ziploc bag to conserve space in cooler.

Hard boiled eggs: Just boil 'em up and leave them in the shell. Keep in a ziploc. Peel and eat or whip up deviled eggs or egg salad on site, since you'll probably have mayo/mustard w/ you anyway.

Precook bacon and store in ziploc for quick snacks or to wrap in lettuce leaves w/ a slice of tomato and mayo for breadless BLT. Or to add to your burgers.

Make a crustless quiche in a 9x12 pan. Portion into serving sizes and wrap in heavy duty foil several times. Freeze and store in ziploc. These can reheat easily in the fire...only takes a half hour or so.

Nuts, pepperoni sticks, roast beef and cream cheese roll-ups...all good. Can you tell I end up coming home from camping w/ too much food EVERY SINGLE TIME?!? lol

Well, there's a few...if I think of any more tonite, I'll let ya know. :-)
  • youdontknowme9
    Options
    The BLT sounds amazing!

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll let you know which ones we used.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I initially had a burst of energy so much so that i could sleep at night for about a week and than suddenly I became really tired and now I feel like I'm back to normal. I had enough energy to excercise but that burst of energy I initially had is gone. I can't say that I miss it because it really ruined my sleep pattern.
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I initially had a burst of energy so much so that i could sleep at night for about a week and than suddenly I became really tired and now I feel like I'm back to normal. I had enough energy to excercise but that burst of energy I initially had is gone. I can't say that I miss it because it really ruined my sleep pattern.

Somewhat the same, except now I can function with far less sleep. Also, I tried C25K a while back and I felt like I was going to die. This time it doesn't seem all that tough, but that's probably also because I'm around 25 lbs lighter now than the last time. Though it's more that my lungs don't feel like they're about to burst this time around, so I'm not sure.
  • youdontknowme9
    Options
    Yea..that huge burst is gone now, but I pumped up my fat intake and quit looking at anything conventional about losing weight. I also starting doing weight lifting and exercising more often(I am horrible about journaling in this thing so about half of what I do doesn't show up).

Also we are in the process of redoing our house, so I am constantly cleaning, scrubbing, painting, taking up floors....and the such. Doing it one room at a time sucks!

Anywhoo, I feel better. Still get winded from the stairs at work but not tired and grumpy when coming home from work. if you had asked me to be this active 6 months ago I would of told you to stick it.

So, it's better. However, the scales are driving me nuts, I can't get them to move. But I'm hoping with all this working, I'm building muscle and in a few weeks it'll start moving again.

OH..and btw...I had a huge chocolate craving the other day and I found these Godiva pearls of dark chocolate with only 3 grams of carbs for 8 beads......oh man...I only needed 4 to kill the craving. They were awesome. I put the rest of the container in a zippy bag and dropped to the bottom of my chest freezer so if I want more I really have to work for it. But dang...it was nice.

One more question. I am having problems at work fitting in eating, so I spend half my day working without food and then I have one big meal when I get home. as long as I keep the grams up and don't deprive, i should be fine right?
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    One more question. I am having problems at work fitting in eating, so I spend half my day working without food and then I have one big meal when I get home. as long as I keep the grams up and don't deprive, i should be fine right?

Yup, no worries.

For the weightlifting and exercise, in the first couple weeks it added a couple lbs on me, then started dropping again.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    after 8 weeks of vlc you can add 25 g carbs in the last meal of the day. This is key for hormones necessary to regulate the thyroid and nervous system. If you don't you will destroy your seratonin and dopamine levels - the hardest hormones to reproduce! Carbs are essential for them.

No one can maintain 25g carbs a day for more than 6 weeks without destroying mental health.

best wishes, happy training.
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is the first I've heard this; do you have any references you can share with us please?
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    after 8 weeks of vlc you can add 25 g carbs in the last meal of the day. This is key for hormones necessary to regulate the thyroid and nervous system. If you don't you will destroy your seratonin and dopamine levels - the hardest hormones to reproduce! Carbs are essential for them.

No one can maintain 25g carbs a day for more than 6 weeks without destroying mental health.

best wishes, happy training.

Lol. Ok. That's all I have to say.
  • Caeyla
    Caeyla Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Citation, please.