New to all of this but need some guidance

Options
Hi there, I got my VSG April 16, 2014 and am struggling. I don't know what it is but when I eat anything at all I feel like I am cheating. I do my best to stay within my 1/4 to 1 cup per meal but am having a hard time adjusting. If I don't eat I feel sick, yet I don't really feel hunger until about 7pm every night and then I end up ingesting too much at once and I feel sick. I wonder if anyone might have some insight for me.

Replies

• jogawa15
    jogawa15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What plan does your dr have you on? You should at this stage be logging everything in the beginning they had me on 500-600 calories I was on liquids several weeks ate protein soup and protein drinks sometimes I could not get past a few sips. It is normal not to be hungry that is part of the process but you should be consuming something. Now is the time to learn balance log everything follow your doctors orders. Step by step good luck!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You're only a few weeks out! At that point I couldn't eat more than a few spoonfuls of anything. Journal EVERYTHING. When you're hitting your totals for protein\carbs\fat\calories there doesn't have to be any guilt over what you're eating. If you're not hitting your totals, then you need to adjust. It will take some time before you can get adequate calories. Talk to your Nut or team about what their recommendation is for you at each stage and when you should be advancing your diet.
  • ve7jne
    ve7jne Posts: 10
    Options
    I had my surgery the same day! I am having trouble meeting my targets for protein and sodium. The lack of sodium makes me dizzy and light-headed. I am going to add in another protein shake. I can eat my .half cup at a time, but I get really sick feeling if I don't do it every two hours!
    Best of luck to you--keep at it!
  • jogawa15
    jogawa15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When your very low carb low cal and need sodium my dr told me drink a sports drink. I would vitamin water zero or poweraide zero just one a day. It really helped I was also told if I felt I needed salt (leg. Cramps are a good sign) put a teaspoon of light salt in a cup and drink. I had to do this the first month or so
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I was very light headed the 1st 4 months. Chicken broth helped a lot as well as hitting my protein goals. I drank a lot of vitamin water zero. Slim Jim minis and cheese sticks were helpful once you are cleared for regular food. If I feel like my blood sugar has plummeted and I need a quick fix, a cup of skim milk will perk me right up.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was told an empty sleeve is an unhappy sleeve, so I needed to eat every couple of hours for awhile. Since I couldn't get but a few tablespoons in at a time this worked really well for me. As for sodium, I have water retention issues so they recommended potassium pills for me. Really helped with the leg cramps. Wanting to eat a lot in the evenings might be more a habit from your presurgery life than actual hunger. try something small but really high in protein and water to avoid overdoing it late in the evening.

This is just the beginning, so be patient with yourself and keep sipping and walking. You will be fine.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Great advice above. Slow and steady, keep hydrated and meet your protein goals first. Even though you are not feeling hungry you must keep a steady intake of nutrition. Waiting untl you might feel hungry might be your body telling you blood sugar is low. Pawoodhull is right on the mark; "an empty sleeve is an unhappy sleeve". It needs either liquid or food on a regular basis.