Just Getting Started on WLS Journey

Options
Hi,

I have been struggling with my weight since after my first pregnancy, where I gained 90lbs 10 years ago. I have tried WW, Paleo, Clean Eating, South Beach Diet, Atkins, etc. I have exercised and done the bootcamps. I have been a MFP member since 2011 and changed my starting weight twice now.

In Dec. my mom suggested that I look into WLS. I was not ready yet, still determined to do this on my own. I mentioned this to one of my co-workers and she said do it. After her persistance, I realizes that she had gone through a simular situation. That is when I decided to look into Bariatric Surgery. I have talked to my husband, sister, parents, and some co-workers and they are all really supportive.

So far, I watched a video, recieved my paperwork (which I completed in 2 days and sent it right back in), checked with my insurer several times, set up my phone consults with a dietition and exercise coach. This past Monday, I had my firt phone call with the dietition. Next Wed, the exercise coach. Friday, May 5 I have my first apt. where I meet with the psych, bariatric nurse, and bariatric dr. along with having my fasting labs done. My husband is going to this apt. with me and can sit in on everything but the psych visit.

My question is, do you have any advise you would give to someone like me who is just starting out on this journey?

Thank you in advance! :flowerforyou:

Darci
SW: 262.8
CW: 260.7

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started on your journey! My advice would be ask all the questions you feel you need to ask, do your homework, try to practice now the things you have to change after surgery, like eating slowly and not drinking anything within 30 min. before/after eating. Start exercising now. Prepare your environment for life after surgery - before surgery I bought smaller plates and utensils, I tried different protein drinks to see what I liked, I made sure I had a food scale and measuring cups, etc. Start using your food diary on MFP to get in the habit of logging and tracking everything, and make sure you weigh and measure everything you eat. Most of all, follow the plan you are given by your surgeon and his team. If you do what you are supposed to do, you will be successful! You are on your way to a healthier, happier life, this is so awesome for you!!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    20 month post RNY (bypass) here. From my experience I think the most important think is to think long term. Ignore the recovery requirements on the various surgeries as they only last a few months at most. After the first 3 or 6 months are basically back to normal. Think long term. This is a decision that you cannot undue easily, or even at all. My surgical team told me something that stuck with me from the very first moment. 50% of weight loss surgery patients gain it all back in five years. Even with the most drastic change (RNY) you can still cheat. Your system will readjust to allow you to more than you should, and make poor choices. This surgery is a way to reset your body and eating habits. Any weight you lose after the first 6 months will be up to you. This surgery will not "fix" or do all of the work itself.

That being said, I personally think the RNY was the best decision for me. I'm 5'9, weighted 340 and had a BMI of 52.3. I had sleep apnea, hypertension and pre-diabetic due to blood sugar levels. All that cleared up in 3 months for me. I went from a size 48 pants to a 34. Shirt size XXXL to a M/L.

I now spend 4 or 5 hours in the gym a week, and eat about 1900 or 2000 calories a day without feeling hungry or deprived. I still cheat, I still eat junk, however not nearly as much as I used to.

As for what to do at this point, your journey is already vastly different than mine. I went to a surgical group the specialized in WLS. They have exercise coaches, dieticians, nurses, NPR, and surgeons on all staff. They did it all, as well as provide all the education requires for this. More than likely you'll be required to have a doctor supervised diet for at least 6 months. I did. Had to attend a monthly class to teach me about nutrition and such.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Welcome Darci,
    So glad you joined our wonderful group and posted your question. This group was created to share advice and support. Always feel free to ask questions, share advice and concerns and most importantly, share support. We are delighted you are here.

It's so important, in the start of your WLS journey, to be completely committed to the process. The medical professionals (especially the psychologist) are pretty adept is spotting those who either have reservations or those looking for a quick fix.
    So be as genuine as possible, be upbeat and positive and find ways to prove that you are indeed completely on-board with the voyage you are about to undertake. Personally, my 'proof' was daily entries on MyFitnessPal, online tracking of exercise with my Fitbit and continual weight loss on my visits with the nutritionist and surgeon.

Again, thanks for becoming a member of our group. :flowerforyou:

Christine
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi Darci! I had my Gastric Sleeve done July 2011. I started at 386 pounds with 226 to lose. No, I'm not to goal yet, but I'm not done either and still working the plan to get the rest off. I tell you this so you know, WLS is a great tool, but not everyone hits their goal weight in a year. Our journeys are all unique.

I agree with everything posted above me. The surgery will cause you to lose weight initially. But to get it all off and keep it off is all up to you. Although my sleeve makes it impossible to restretch my stomach (all the stretchy part was removed) it does not make it impossible to regain my weight. It might be slower for me because my stomach will always be small, but going back to old/bad eating habits and no exercise will cause regain. Others have said it and it's true. This is a lifetime lifestyle change to be successfull.

Ask a lot of questions, follow the doctor's plan, use every resource they give you, weigh and measure everything that goes in your mouth (yes I still do), log your food, exercise even if it's simply walking, and use the support and friendships here to vent, get ideas, and rejoice with. Good luck with your journey!
  • skatermom503
    Options
    Welcome to the club, Darci. It is a hard decision but I made it in 2011 and my only regret is that I waited so long. Like any surgery, the first couple months may be a little challenging but then you get into the mode and you will be amazed at the changes in you. I am down 220# and am just now starting to struggle a bit but I am maintaining. It is just a tool, not a magic solution but it does work if you work with it. My one suggestion would be to be cautious on who you share your decision with. There are people who will judge you for "taking the easy way out". Just remember this is not the easy way. It is major surgery and requires hard work and changes on your part. I still have only told maybe 5 people (most of my family don't know) and am more comfortable that way. But that's a personal choice you will need to make. I wish you the best of luck. Make sure your surgeon has a good track record with this surgery, Ask how many they have done and what their mortality rate is. If they are good docs they won't be offended. Ask if they allow Residents (docs in training) to do any part of the surgery (prefer no one practicing on me), and do they work with a team (anesthesiologists, post op unit nurses, etc) who are used to working with their bariatric patients. Good luck. It can change your life.
  • dawing
    dawing Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I really do appreciate it!
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My question is, do you have any advise you would give to someone like me who is just starting out on this journey?

Darci,

I started the same journey in October of last year, and just had my Gastric Bypass on the 2nd of April. That six-month, insurance-mandated journey is infuriating, frustrating, and designed to make you question whether or not you are committed to the program. After all, insurance really doesn't want to pay for it, so if they can frustrate you out of it, they win...

My advice to you is simply this.. If you have made the decision to move forward, don't waver. Realize that six months is "nothing", and if you just wade through the BS, it'll be surgery day before you can even blink. I saw a couple of people who gave up in that six months, but honestly, I really have the feeling they'll be back, so -- if you're truly decided -- you might as well see it through.

What I can tell you about my own journey is that it's truly been an odyssey. I went into the hospital that morning, woke up in my hospital room that night, no memory of anything in between.

27 Days out and I'm very glad I did it.

What I knew about, but find extremely weird to be confronted with now are;

1.The pain coming out of surgery.
    I have no idea why, but I just never expected a "few little cuts" to be so gut-wrenchingly ouchy... Apparently bad enough to bring out my inner four-letter curse machine while on meds. (a sincere apology to my very wonderful nursing staff by the way)

That however is usually well-managed in the hospital and by the time I was sent home, it felt like it would after you fell off a skateboard as a kid.. Now in day 5, most of the pain is almost gone to the point I might wish I could return to work early (out of boredom), but don't... Take the time your body needs to adjust because this is a big, big deal.

Just be prepared. Other people might have experienced it differently, but for the first few days, every time I coughed, sneezed, or moved, it felt like my guts were about to burst. They haven't, but I do find it useful to hold a small pillow over my stomach when I cough just to cushion the impact of that action, but it'll be ok..

2.Suddenly -- at least for a while -- you REALLY aren't hungry.
    For my post-surgery liquid phase, I'm supposed to be drinking 64 ounces of water and at least two protein shakes. So far, I can manage the two shakes (breakfast and supper) but I *really* don't want them at all. The rest of the day, I'm forcing myself to sip half-dosed bottles of Crystal Light, which are now actually too sweet and make me extremely gassy, but it's still better than tap water...

For the first three weeks or so after surgery -- and it was VERY difficult -- all I could do is two 11-oz protein shakes and about 32 oz of water a day. Now I'm in the "mushy / soft food phase", and things are getting easier.

3.Take a look at what your doctor recommends for an after-diet.
    Make sure you have those in abundance before leaving for the hospital. In my case, premixed protein shakes (Premier), a small variety of broths (I recommend boxed, and the Swanson "flavor infused" make for a nice change), Jello, and so-forth.

4.Buy all your post-op meds and vitamins before-hand.
    For the rest of your life you'll be taking vitamins. It might cost you a buck or two more now, but at first buy small quantities rather than Sam's Club size because honestly, you'll probably find one you like better.

For example, I thought the taste of an cinnamon-flavored chewable sounded awesome. Now, after chewing the giant pills three times a day for 5 days? Not so much...

5.Speaking of vitamins, be prepared to devote a good portion of your time getting used to taking them on a set schedule.
    I now have five different types that I have to spread out in multiple dosing schedules throughout every day.

6.Be prepared to sip water or sugar-free Crystal light ALL DAY LONG.
    In a day, if your doctor is like mine, he'll recommend 64 oz of water a day. Pre-surgery, not a problem when you could drink a 4 oz gulp easily. Not so much any more. Anything more than a sip at a time (at least for me) results in gas and a bloaty stomach... (mild dumping)

7.Lovenox shots.
    Even if you're in a good way, you will probably end up having to subject yourself to two weeks of self-administered shots to your lower (fatty part) belly. Lovenox is a blood thinner, and helps to ensure that you don't end up with blood clots after your surgery. Bright side is, everyone knows how much these suck, so they've generally made the needle so small that it's virtually painless.

For *me* to be able to do it (so far) is one hell of an indication that anyone can do it.

8.Gas...
    Wow.. Ok. For the first few days at least after the surgery, you're going to be an extremely gassy beast. All of us (as I understand it) are because of how the Laparoscopic procedure works, inserting air/gas into your body cavity to shift/move things around. This might be embarrassing, or you might just take a little pride in "letting 'er rip". Either way, it helps you feel better, because half the pain you feel after surgery is that gas. The other half is caused by the incisions and internal cuts themselves.

9.Walking helps...
    if you're like I was, walking will help in getting rid of that gas. Trouble is, on Days 1 and 2, they might have to pull you kicking and cursing from your hospital bed to take those initial few hundred steps. Once you can equate the walking to the Willy Wonka soda-room belching, you'll be far more willing to get in a little activity in exchange for a little relief.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi,

So far, I watched a video, recieved my paperwork (which I completed in 2 days and sent it right back in), checked with my insurer several times, set up my phone consults with a dietition and exercise coach. This past Monday, I had my firt phone call with the dietition. Next Wed, the exercise coach. Friday, May 5 I have my first apt. where I meet with the psych, bariatric nurse, and bariatric dr. along with having my fasting labs done. My husband is going to this apt. with me and can sit in on everything but the psych visit.

Thank you in advance! :flowerforyou:

Darci
    SW: 262.8
    CW: 260.7

Darci,

I am in a similar stage as you, although my insurance approval is already completed. I am going through the blood labs, EKG, exercise appt and my first meeting with the surgeon is in June. Keep at it!
  • breajohnson
    breajohnson Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given you some great advice and like you, i struggled ultimately with the decision because i knew I could do it on my own. But July 2013 I made the decision to have lapband and I am currently 5 weeks into post op. I couldnt be happier with my decision. I researched and studied up on all the WLS options and felt lapband was the right one for me. I wish you all the best. feel free to ask questions. I may not know the answer but we can learn together.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi Darcy,

I had RNY 3/2012. My starting weight was 347.5 and I'm currently sitting at 171.5. I'm working on losing about 35 more pounds (I'm 5'7" and 46 years old). I carried my extra weight for more than 15 years before breaking down and having surgery.

My advise would be to make very sure that you do what your surgeon tells you, follow the program. It will help in your success. When they tell you to get up and walk, do it. Don't try to short cut the food add back post op.

I also cannot emphasize the importance of tracking your food strongly enough, long term. When I stop my weight loss really slows down. Because I am just not as aware of all the calories I'm consuming. I exercise a lot now, but truly it is 80% what you eat. You cannot out run your fork. You can never exercise more calories away that you can take in.

I've had nearly no complications (I did have an allergic reaction to the acid inhibitor prescribed after surgery, so the Dr. switched it. but is was 4-5 days of some pretty awful hives).

Good luck!

Danna
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Darci,

I started the same journey in October of last year, and just had my Gastric Bypass on the 2nd of April. That six-month, insurance-mandated journey is infuriating, frustrating, and designed to make you question whether or not you are committed to the program. After all, insurance really doesn't want to pay for it, so if they can frustrate you out of it, they win...

My advice to you is simply this.. If you have made the decision to move forward, don't waver. Realize that six months is "nothing", and if you just wade through the BS, it'll be surgery day before you can even blink. I saw a couple of people who gave up in that six months, but honestly, I really have the feeling they'll be back, so -- if you're truly decided -- you might as well see it through.

What I can tell you about my own journey is that it's truly been an odyssey. I went into the hospital that morning, woke up in my hospital room that night, no memory of anything in between.

I have no idea why, but I just never expected a "few little cuts" to be so gut-wrenchingly ouchy... Apparently bad enough to bring out my inner four-letter curse machine while on meds. (a sincere apology to my very wonderful nursing staff by the way)

That however is usually well-managed in the hospital and by the time I was sent home, it felt like it would after you fell off a skateboard as a kid.. Now in day 5, most of the pain is almost gone to the point I might wish I could return to work early (out of boredom), but don't... Take the time your body needs to adjust because this is a big, big deal.

Just be prepared. Other people might have experienced it differently, but for the first few days, every time I coughed, sneezed, or moved, it felt like my guts were about to burst. They haven't, but I do find it useful to hold a small pillow over my stomach when I cough just to cushion the impact of that action, but it'll be ok..

For my post-surgery liquid phase, I'm supposed to be drinking 64 ounces of water and at least two protein shakes. So far, I can manage the two shakes (breakfast and supper) but I *really* don't want them at all. The rest of the day, I'm forcing myself to sip half-dosed bottles of Crystal Light, which are now actually too sweet and make me extremely gassy, but it's still better than tap water...

For the first three weeks or so after surgery -- and it was VERY difficult -- all I could do is two 11-oz protein shakes and about 32 oz of water a day. Now I'm in the "mushy / soft food phase", and things are getting easier.

Make sure you have those in abundance before leaving for the hospital. In my case, premixed protein shakes (Premier), a small variety of broths (I recommend boxed, and the Swanson "flavor infused" make for a nice change), Jello, and so-forth.

For the rest of your life you'll be taking vitamins. It might cost you a buck or two more now, but at first buy small quantities rather than Sam's Club size because honestly, you'll probably find one you like better.

For example, I thought the taste of an cinnamon-flavored chewable sounded awesome. Now, after chewing the giant pills three times a day for 5 days? Not so much...

5.Speaking of vitamins, be prepared to devote a good portion of your time getting used to taking them on a set schedule.
    I now have five different types that I have to spread out in multiple dosing schedules throughout every day.

In a day, if your doctor is like mine, he'll recommend 64 oz of water a day. Pre-surgery, not a problem when you could drink a 4 oz gulp easily. Not so much any more. Anything more than a sip at a time (at least for me) results in gas and a bloaty stomach... (mild dumping)

7.Lovenox shots.
    Even if you're in a good way, you will probably end up having to subject yourself to two weeks of self-administered shots to your lower (fatty part) belly. Lovenox is a blood thinner, and helps to ensure that you don't end up with blood clots after your surgery. Bright side is, everyone knows how much these suck, so they've generally made the needle so small that it's virtually painless.

For *me* to be able to do it (so far) is one hell of an indication that anyone can do it.

8.Gas...
    Wow.. Ok. For the first few days at least after the surgery, you're going to be an extremely gassy beast. All of us (as I understand it) are because of how the Laparoscopic procedure works, inserting air/gas into your body cavity to shift/move things around. This might be embarrassing, or you might just take a little pride in "letting 'er rip". Either way, it helps you feel better, because half the pain you feel after surgery is that gas. The other half is caused by the incisions and internal cuts themselves.

9.Walking helps...
    if you're like I was, walking will help in getting rid of that gas. Trouble is, on Days 1 and 2, they might have to pull you kicking and cursing from your hospital bed to take those initial few hundred steps. Once you can equate the walking to the Willy Wonka soda-room belching, you'll be far more willing to get in a little activity in exchange for a little relief.

Okay so my experience was similar and different.....Again, I'm 2 years post op from RNY:

I didn't feel any pain to speak of after surgery and was surprised at that. My surgeon uses liquid Vicadin as the post op pain med and I cannot take it as it makes me vomit. So I was on a tiny pill of some other painkiller. I had surgery on Friday morning and came home on Sunday morning and felt fine. I never took a pain pill after I was released from the hospital. Walking helps recovery A LOT.

Make sure you are stocked up with post op foods before you come home from the hospital. I could have water, broth, sugar free jello and herbal tea. I really hate jello. Honestly I stuck mostly to water for the 1st 4 days, then I had my post op class where they introduced food.

Don't make a big investment into vitamins or protein shakes, get as many sample and single servings of different ones as you can. It will take some experimentation to find what you like and tolerate well. Even after 2 years I go back and forth on vitamins and switch it up between liquid (bariatric advantage wild berry crystals) and pill vitamins. And I've tried about a dozen different protein shakes, some I liked, some not so much. Even if you think you like one, don't buy the big size right away, for a while your tastes will be changing rapidly and your pouch tolerance for different things will as well (that gets better, now at the 2 year mark there is very little I can't tolerate). You might really do well with a particular brand of protein shake for a month and the next month you simply can't stand the taste or it suddenly makes you feel nauseated. It's perfectly normal and it happens so don't make too big an investment in any one thing.

I never had to do Lovenox shots or any kind of shots at all. I did have to take 90 days of acid inhibitor post op. Had an allergic reaction to Protonics and was switched to Omiprozole.

Yep, you'll have gas. You'll burp a lot and pass gas. This too will pass but not for a while. If it's really bad, take smaller bites and eat more slowly.

You will stall or plateau most likely somewhere in your 1st 6 weeks post op. You will most likely freak out and become worried that you are the only person in the world that the surgery doesn't work for. This too will pass. Most people plateau for a week or three a this point and it will pass. My advise is to have someone remove or hide your scale. Seriously. When I plateaued I was weighing myself like 6 times a day and freaking out. My husband hid the scale from me for a month, I calmed down and the plateau broke.
  • patriciadrane5
    patriciadrane5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am three months in on my wls journey. I have to do the 6 months pre op nutritionist appts and lose 17 lbs. So far I have lost 2, that i know of as i dont have a scale yet at home. I go back and forth from rny surgery to the sleeve. My HW: 338 CW: 336 and my Surgery weight is suppose to be 321.

My doctor gave me a large list of goals to meet before surgery and so far I'm doing ok with them. I have gotten to check off a few, such as starting to drink my 64 oz of water daily, I do good on that most days. The thing I struggle with the most and have to constantly remind myself is to slow down on eating. I have a good support group locally and they have had surgery already and the main thing they tell me is to learn to chew, chew, and chew some more and make sure to take 30 minutes to eat a meal. I have always been a fast eater, so this is a struggle but I know in the end it will be to my benefit.

I have concerns about the procedure, My momma had RNY surgery in 1975 and had an awful time (thankfully I realize the surgery has come a long way since then). But just from watching her go thru so much then gain a lot of weight back after 20 years made me a bit apprehensive to get this done. But I am determined.

I have type 2 diabetes with complications, heart disease, high blood pressure as well as an 11 year old daughter who deserves a momma who can do things with her. Currently I can't even walk to the park with her which is only a half mile away (all up hill).

Each time I think I don't want to get off the couch and exercise (sweatin to the oldies! LOL) or that I really want that food I think of my family. Yes I deserve a better life than the one I currently have, but so do they. So many things we don't do because momma just can't right now but in a few more months that WON"T be the excuse!

You can add me as a friend if you like, we can go through this journey together!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Darci,

7.Lovenox shots.

8.Gas...

9.Walking helps...

I'm 20 months post RNY. Good, good, good advice. All of it is true. The only thing I have to add is most of these are short term problems. You must think long term about this surgery as well. It will certainly drop the weight for your short-term. You can't help it when you are being limited to only about 500 calories a day for the first two months or so. It is meant to be a tool to change your lifestyle. Embrace the changes for best results. I don't eat rice or pasta, not out of necessity, but out of choice. I choose not to eat them, as they were my pre-surgery staples. Even now potatoes and bread are limited to about 1 or 2 servings a week, at most. Typically less than that. 50% of weight lose surgery patients gain it all back in five years. Yes, amazing to think about with how limited you are right now, but it's true. At 20 months post op I can take down half a large thin crust pizza if I let myself. So the potential is there to abuse your new innards. Just something to keep in mind.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the steps to get yourself back to better health! It took me a while after talking about it with a few folks to be "ready" to consider surgery, too. For me, it was quickly gaining yet another 25 lbs, being at the highest weight ever which was a number that I never thought I'd see in my life, and feeling terrible!

I am almost 7 months out from being sleeved and I have not regretted it for a second. WLS is the best thing I could have done for myself. I am losing constantly, I have an amazing amount of energy (this especially started in the last month or so), I feel like a whole new person, and I look forward to things just getting better.

My advice, do your research as far as they different surgery types available to you. We all have our reasons for choosing the surgery we chose. I was back & forth during the first four months or so of my six month required medical intervention before my surgery, then figured out that the sleeve was what was best for me.

Other advice, find a good support system (online, such as this group, and IRL - such as local group meetings if you have them in your area) and attend them when you can. Family is great, but the more support you have the better the outcome. I often work when my local one happens, unfortunately, but when I have been able to attend I've found them very helpful.

Good luck!!!
  • dawing
    dawing Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow! Great advise from all! Thank you so much!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm where you are at. I have made the decision to have the sleeve but need to attend a weight managment program for 6 mos before the surgery. I have 5 mos left. I am using the time to prepare myself for life post-surgery. I have now cut my (considerable) pop intake in half. I will be working over the next month to cut that in half so in 2 mos I will not be drinking pop at all. I am also starting to take the vitamins & supplements that will be a part of life afterwards. We discovered already that I am anemic so I'm taking iron supplements to get that back to normal w/in the next 5 mos. Each month the nutritionist will give me goals to help me have a less overwhelming transition after surgery. I'm taking these 5 mos to get ready. It seems like it is going to be forever before the surgery comes around, but I like to think I am doing what I can now to make sure I am successful long term. I hope you have a great process towards surgery too!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    The pain from surgery is minimal. Yes there is some pain, but not much. I was on pain meds for 2 days. I have had several surgeries, and this one was by far the easiest i have experienced. I am now 4 and a half weeks out and doing great. I had the gastric sleeve done. I haven't yet got back to working out as hard as I was, but I am getting there. I walk about 2 to 3 miles a day and do Zumba.