Feedback, Please

Options
SandraJN
SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
I was diagnosed Insulin Resistant in March. The notes on the lab report call it serious. I have always been a' from scratch' cook, so I haven't had to overcome a sugar/ fast food addiction, but I do love my rice, potatoes and pasta!

I have eliminated potatoes and rice on Dr.'s orders. When you have the time could some of you please look at my food diary (open) and tell me what you think. I believe I am on the right track, but I would like some experienced opinion from those in the trenches.

I will have more blood work done next month and a followup visit with the MD in June. I am taking this seriously. I do drink a lot of water, I don't record it. I also started using fitbit recently and let that record my exercise.

Any "atta girl" or "whoops" will be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm sorry you are going through this. I am prediabetic too. I am testing blood sugars every day fasting and one hour after every meal. I am avoiding anything that spikes the sugar more than 140 1hr after meals. That means avoiding certain foods, or reducing quantities of that food.

I'm also exercising and aiming to lose some more weight. If you want to know what will work to reduce your blood sugars, you will have to test too. Some people respond really well to just exercising without changing eating habits, some will get normal blood sugars after tweaking their diet or by losing a certain amount of weight (and maintaining the weight loss). Actually, any changes you make will have to be sustainable long term.

I looked at your diary and it looks healthy, but you can't know how the food affects your sugar unless you test. You are also taking a lot of supplements. I don't know if it's for the insulin resistance or other reasons. I don't take anything, but I am thinking of fish oil since it is meant to help overall health and reduce blood sugar. I got a lot of info from bloodsugar101.

Good luck!
  • SandraJN
    Options
    Thanks! The Dr. didn't suggest testing but I have been thinking about it. I take the supplements per Dr.'s advice. It is a lot! Much of it is to regulate the insulin and to do something about free radicals, I have serious indicators of potential heart disease, including very high LDL. I take systemic enzymes for inflammation. I prefer a holistic approach whenever possible and the Dr. is an internist who studied holistic medicine a few years ago after 25 years in a traditional practice. I know I am better because I feel really good, and that hasn't been the case for a few years. Tomorrow I will get a tester and start using it. Thank you so much for the advice.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You seem to be eating very well. :happy:

But as already pointed out; you need to test 1 and 2 hours after meals for a few weeks until you learn what spikes your BG and what doesnt. You may find your diet is perfect, or you may find certain foods spike you in which case you can make an adjustment to that food. Every person is different so its impossible for us to say if a certain food is spiking your BG or not. Rule of thumb is if your BG goes over 140 you should figure out what did it and make adjustments. The only way to do that is to test before your meal then 1 and 2 hours after. After a few weeks you will know what foods spike you and you can relax the testing to fewer times.

A couple observations:

- I notice you do an occasional whole grain pasta. While whole grain pasta, cereal, bread is better for you than the more processed versions, they do not have less carbs. So you may find the whole grain pasta is spiking your BG; it does mine.

- That's a whole lot of supplements which I know nothing about. I'd make sure your doc knows exactly what you are taking. My Doc does not recommend any supplements; he says everything we need is in food. Supplements are tricky as they are pretty loosely regulated.

- Congrats on the weight loss. :smile:
  • SandraJN
    Options
    Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. The supplements are by the Dr.'s prescription. I know it is a lot! They all have a specific purpose. I lean way over toward alternative medicine, but don't reject everything about traditional medicine. My Dr. is an MD who also leans in the alternative way of treatment. She is trying to keep me off insulin and statins. I refuse to take a statin.

I do have a small amount of pasta. The pasta I buy is 41g carbs, 7g fiber and 8g protein. I'll give it up if I have to, but mama wants her pasta! I do lay off the bread. I make my own bread, so I know what goes into it, but I eat it very sparingly.

I will get a BG tester tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how I'm doing. Thanks so much!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It's great that you're working closely with your doctor to make lifestyle changes to reduce insulin resistance, and also to improve your overall health. Testing your blood sugar is going to give you even more information that you can use to identify which foods, and how much of those foods, work best for you. Also, increasing your activity level is an excellent way to target insulin resistance. You're making good progress! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • SandraJN
    Options
    Thanks, Lynn. I always thought I had a healthy diet, but truth is I really do enjoy simple carbs; semolina pasta, rice and potatoes. This has been the hard part. I'm hopeful I can turn it around. I'm going into town to get a tester this AM.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned testing to know what foods spike your blood sugar is key. Also, when you have something that is higher in carbs, try to include protein and fat in the same meal. They will slow down the carbs getting into your bloodstream.

I love pasta too, just do it in smaller portions now. I have found Dreamfields pasta does not spike my sugar as much as other pasta brands. I also purchased some Shirataki noodles which are a pasta-like substitute that I've been told is a good. I haven't tried those yet. Maybe tonight....

Also try to incorporate exercise into your routine. Exercise will make your body more sensitive to insulin, so that when you do eat carbs your blood sugar will not go up so much.
  • SandraJN
    Options
    Thanks for the pasta tip. I tried Shirataki noodles, couldn't get past the texture. Absolutely couldn't eat them, but I am very touchy about texture. I know someone who loves them, just not for me!

I bought a tester today and tested 2 hrs after lunch and was 107. I'll be able to get a fasting sample tomorrow AM. I'll put pasta on the menu tomorrow and see what I get.

I thought it would hurt to prick my finger, I'm so glad it didn't. :happy:

It is really great to have this forum here.
  • SandraJN
    Options
    Oh, by the way, I do get exercise. I use fitbit, which automatically adjusts my food calories according to what I have done throughout the day, so I don't record exercise on this site. I walk 2 miles/day on my treadmill and typically log a total of 5 miles on a typical day. I walk a 20 minute mile, which is about as fast as I can do, I'm short and my legs cannot move any faster than that! I am not able to run, I have a damaged Achilles tendon which won't comfortably let me. That's my story.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    When you feel comfortable consider adding strength training to your exercise regime 2 or 3 times per week. Not only will it burn calories, but it will help ensure you maintain muscle as you lose weight. By maintaining muscle you help keep your metabolism efficient. It also helps reduce insulin resistance. You don't need to join a gym, there are great programs that are body weight based or using small dumbbells.
  • SandraJN
    Options
    I do lift hay bales. :smile: I have my son's old weight set here and I have been using the iron bar to the barbell. I tore my left rotator cuff in Jan. and had to be careful with it. Using that iron bar has helped strengthen the tendons without causing more damage, it's only 5 lbs. I won't be giving the people who like to lift any competition! I'll give weights more consideration than I have. Thanks for the thought.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    You are doing great with exercise! Walking 5 miles per day is fantastic, and it sounds like you're getting stronger. I'm glad you're finding testing your blood sugar useful. I hope you feel good with all the progress you're making. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • SandraJN
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed Insulin Resistant in March. The notes on the lab report call it serious. I have always been a' from scratch' cook, so I haven't had to overcome a sugar/ fast food addiction, but I do love my rice, potatoes and pasta!

I have eliminated potatoes and rice on Dr.'s orders. When you have the time could some of you please look at my food diary (open) and tell me what you think. I believe I am on the right track, but I would like some experienced opinion from those in the trenches.

I will have more blood work done next month and a followup visit with the MD in June. I am taking this seriously. I do drink a lot of water, I don't record it. I also started using fitbit recently and let that record my exercise.

Any "atta girl" or "whoops" will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ok! Since you asked... Definitely Lower carbs a little bit.. Definitely lower the protein a bit. If you can manage that, you can raise the fat which won't raise your blood sugar and will give you more energy. The fat will also signal your body that it doesn't have to hoard what it has because it's going to get more--it is safe to burn.

Definitely lower Vitamin B-12 as that raises blood sugar. Better to drink unsweetened original almond milk by Silk at less than 1 carb per cup, 30 calories and 50% recommended B-12. It will get through your system faster. Raise the Ubiquinol to two 200 mg. Definitely get off of the Niacin as that raises blood sugar a good deal as well. The Ubiquinol will do its job if you are looking at cholesterol, not to worry. The L-Carnitine is great (I take 3 myself). Also, the IOM changed our daily dosage of Vitamin D3 to 8,000 iu, so increase that (10K would be great). I take more than that. It's good to supplement that with Vitamin K2 to prevent calcification (although at that small dose, it's not a big deal).

And, remember, do not take fat soluble supplements with water soluble ones. The fat ones will wash the water soluble ones right out before your body has a chance to use it. For example, take Ubiquinol, Vitamin D3, Omega 3, and K2 together. Take the rest throughout the day at least 3 hours afterward. I can't remember the others, but that's a good start.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you!

The only thing that really stuck me about your food diary is that some days you are eating only 2 carbs at breakfast, and I really think you need more than that. Otherwise, it looks like you are doing a great job, but only your glucose meter can really tell you. Remember that even though we all have diabetes, our bodies can react to things in very different ways. For example, I am able to eat brown rice (a reasonable amount) and not have big spikes in my glucose. Some diabetics can't have any rice without their bodies spiking left, right, and center.

Remember to TEST TEST TEST!
  • SandraJN
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will take heed. After all, I did ask!
  • SandraJN
    Options
    I am not much of a breakfast eater, but I will try to do better with the morning carbs. Thanks!